View Single Post
Unread 10-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #1283 (permalink)
Mr. Blonde
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Just received this on Facebook today....

Quote:
Hey, Sam, I was just writing you a quick message to say thanks. It was almost a year ago today that you introduced me to Reddit to show off my Batman pumpkin. Though that may seem relatively minor at first, it actually introduced me to a world and viewpoint that I didn't realized existed. All my life I had struggled with my place in the world in regards to religion, science, and where I fit. I was brought up in the Church but never felt attached like I thought I should. I just couldn't grasp believing in something above when science and reason were right there in front of me. As hard as it may be to believe, even through my mid twenties I just didn't know where I fit. Then you introduced me to Reddit and I discovered r/atheism, and from there almost a whole new world opened up. I was able to see that there were thousands (and obviously more) people that felt exactly as I did. People like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, etc. People who valued scientific fact over silly beliefs, people that can admit, they don't know everything, they don't know where we came from or how we got here, but who won't subscribe to a belief in some mysterious higher power simply due to lack of understanding. I saw that there are so many more out there like me, and it has given me an immense amount of pride, an immense amount of comfort, knowing the world and our country aren't firmly in the hands of the religious (and oftentimes extremists) who think their beliefs should determine the beliefs and directions of others. This may seem like a lot of deep talk for a silly website, but it truly has changed me, and I had to thank you for it. Thanks, Sam... thanks a lot.

Andy

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote