Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Blonde
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
Default Death

Death is something that has really interested me lately. While, of all the things to be interested in, this seems like a "no shit" and cliche topic, I think that certain experiences I've had this year have really opened up the gates of understanding what death really is.

Death is actually horrifying, and existence as we know it makes little to no sense objectively -- as objective as we can be to look at quite literally everything we know about existence.

While everybody "knows" that we're going to die, it is something that I feel many people do not spend a significant amount of time thinking about -- for obvious reasons. And for those that are afraid of it, there are various coping mechanisms, which I'm sure I don't have to go into here, that people use to deal with it.

I recently stumbled upon these open Yale lectures by a philosophy professor named Shelly Kagan. I'm only getting the chance to listen to the first one now. I'll probably do updates as I go along -- there's 26 of them, so it's basically a semester's worth of lectures.

Feel free to chime in your feelings and how you cope with death. Preferably not just "I just try to enjoy life as much as i can, because I could die any day." While nice, it's a bit idealistic and it's rare that people who say this actually do it in practice. I want some fears, some concerns, some absurdity.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote