Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
Mr. Blonde
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
I find a finite life, with nothing afterword fairly comforting. It gives life more meaning to me, gives the present as much meaning as possible. If life is finite, there is importance in every second of it, and you can live it as it truly is, with no expectation or fear of something afterword.

I will die, but inherently that means I lived, without the death there isn't any sort of real concept of what life is. They are two parts of the same idea, one requires the other; the more "nothing" that death is, the more "everything" that life is.
While I very much agree with the first part, I disagree with the second slightly. For example, if we lived in a time where immortality was possible (as i'm sure it will be, eventually), death could be treated as something entirely. "Life" still has meaning with death out of the picture, because one did not live before they came into existence.

Another interesting thing to think of is that, even if we do achieve immortality from age and disease (as a species--not us, which is sad to think about), death will still be very frequent. It's much less likely we invent invulnerability. Accidents will happen --- murders, natural disasters, explosions, new diseases, etc --- but it will still be very rare comparatively if people never get old. Interesting to think about what kind of world that might be.

All that being said, as numerous vampire and science fiction movies have told us, while I am sure many humans would take great advantage of an extended life, almost all of us would eventually tire of it and wish to die. Immortality, if it ever is achieved, will take a long, long time for humans to embrace, if ever.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote