View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #118 (permalink)
Dent
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Internets: 114370
Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repugnant Abomination View Post
Think of it like Yin Yang. Two opposing forces relying on their opposite in order to exist and create the whole. The wholeness of life, existence, experience, must by definition contain pleasure and pain, joy and sorrow, sadness and happiness.

By your definitions, sure. These are contested terms and I don't think pain and pleasure are like charges on electrons/protons (abstractions!)
I don't know why you should save suffering for the sake of saving happiness even if what you say is true.

I think there's a need to remove suffering, but no need to turn tables and chairs into orgasms/utilitronium

"Whereas the badness of agony or despair is built into the nature of the experience itself, any judgement that we should convert insentient matter and energy – or a flourishing posthuman civilisation based on gradients of intelligent bliss – into pure utilitronium is a judgement imposed from without."
Dent is offline   Reply With Quote