Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Important Stuff > The Confessional/Advice Line

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
I work as a server, and i've been wanting to write about it for a while, and how the vast majority of customers are ridiculously ignorant on how the restaurant business works, but since there is so much to write about, i'll settle for starting out this thread with this.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spice Master

Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
Fuck, i'll update some of it now. For those of you who have never worked in a restaurant, here are somethings you should know.

1. We have to be the judges of when the food arrives at your table, and be that as it may that it is supposed to go out as soon as the kitchen is finished with it, this means we have to take into consideration delays, how long it will take for the kitchen to cook, how long you want to be there, how long you expect before you recieve your food, etc. That's a lot of shit to just "predict", so give your server a break if he/she is behind or ahead a little bit.

2. Believe it or not, you aren't a VIP when you walk into a restaurant. At any given time, your server could be handling 3-6 other tables besides yours, so when they don't pay severe attention to every whim that you come up with, watch how hard they're working to cover the rest of the tables along with yours. Unless they obviously aren't trying, in that case you can deduct from their tip...but it's pretty rare.

3. You know how when we mess up, and you talk at your table of maybe 3 or 4 people about how bad the server is and make fun of them? Well we do things the exact same way when we go to the back of the restaurant. Chances are, if you're being a dick or an idiot about things, every other server in the joint is going to know about it, and know exactly what table and seat you're sitting in...think about that next time you feel like patronizing a server.

4. Muncie people are horrible tippers. Average is about 10% or less here, although as you can read above 15% is the norm and 20+ for excellent service. I don't blame about tipping, however, before I worked in a restaurant I had no idea servers make so little hourly wages (2.13 an hour). Just try to remember at least 10% if you absolutely can't afford to tip 15%.

5. When we fuck up (or at least when I fuck up), I could care less about how much you tip me, the only thing i'm worried about at that point is dissapproval. I'd much rather get a very low or no tip and be treated humanely, than to get my mistake rubbed in my face by someone because they're mad about something. We don't need you to add salt to the wound, we're already pissed off and mad at ourselves enough.

That's all I can think of for now, but i'll post whenever I remember more..and there's a lot more.

[ April 04, 2005, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Blonde ]

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Old 04-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Great posts Blonde. I'm a pretty big asshole, but one thing I've always priding myself on is my restaurant ediquete. I always tip around 25% if I thought the service was at least halfway decent. I don't bust balls by sucking on an empty cup or complaining about something insignificant that was screwed up about my order. I also try to make the server do as little work as possible. Take my order, fill my cup, bring me my food, then my bill, here's 25%. I realize you guys aren't fucking super heros here to meet my every need.

edit: I really want to hit any uptight bastard who gets a power trip off of undertipping a server.

-Ugly Bastard

[ April 04, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Ugly Bastard ]
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Internets: 3373
ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute
Since I work at a tipping job, I understand where you are coming from Blonde. It sucks getting stiffed, especially when you really worked hard on something. I've found that since I acquired a tips job that I myself tip a ton better at restaurants.

Smoke a cigarette and lie some more -- These conversations kill.
ProfessorNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache
Quote:
Just try to remember at least 10% if you absolutely can't afford to tip 15%.
If you can't afford to tip your server at least 15%, then you shouldn't be eating in a restaurant. Go to McDonald's for now and save some money until you CAN afford an adequate tip.

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
I like dirt.

Internets: 2790
tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to tonguegina Send a message via AIM to tonguegina Send a message via MSN to tonguegina Send a message via Yahoo to tonguegina
I've always thought my self to be a good tipper. Always around 20%, but I am here more to vouch for UB's tipage. This kid...let me tell ya...once we were at a diner and my bill was something like $5, so I left a buck on the table. 20%...he scowls at me. "You know how much these people make?" type shit. I understand where he's coming from but in this situation, am I supposed to pay for the waitress's meal as well?

It's not like I sat down for a steak dinner. I think I got an orange juice and a couple of eggs.
tonguegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ProfessorNumber:
I've found that since I acquired a tips job that I myself tip a ton better at restaurants.
Agreed. I usually put down what I think is reasonable, and then think about my job and add a few more bucks to that

― Terence McKenna
Old 04-05-2005, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Roscoe P. Coldchain

Internets: 1425
StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of
I don't tip
I don't believe in it
Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job

LEGALIZE CRIME!
StabMaster Arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
We still believe.

Internets: 216
Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Niger Angelus
Cheap bastard. I always tip at the very least 25% and many of the times more. And I leave all spare change for them as well, mainly because I hate change, but still, every little bit counts.

:Whoever put the tip calculator on cell phones was a smart person.

I enjoy knives and fire.
Niger Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
Originally posted by StabMaster Arson:
I don't tip
I don't believe in it
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job
He's quoting Reservoir Dogs

― Terence McKenna
Old 04-05-2005, 03:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Internets: 306
fancymeghan is a jewel in the rough fancymeghan is a jewel in the rough fancymeghan is a jewel in the rough fancymeghan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to fancymeghan Send a message via AIM to fancymeghan
i used to work in a restaurant in warsaw
....and the thing that bothered me the most were those assfucks who didn't get out much (aka: necks, slackjaws, hillbillies) and would get pissy with me when i told them they'd have to wait for something or another. they'd act like i was the biggest dumbass in the world when they would be decked out in their fringed leather vests and cowboy hats covering their mullets.

i always knew that i was smarter than those people and just because they were older/the customer, they thought they were so much better than me. most of those fuckers have about 3 illigitimate children (some of their kids would be with them), no common sense, and a fashion sense that makes your skin crawl.

[ April 05, 2005, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: fancymeghan ]
fancymeghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
We still believe.

Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Blonde:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by StabMaster Arson:
I don't tip
I don't believe in it

He's quoting Reservoir Dogs
</font>[/quote]
I know, Mr. Pink.

I enjoy knives and fire.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Spice Master

Just making sure. You did call him a cheap bastard. You should have used the sarcasm tag [0]

― Terence McKenna
Old 04-05-2005, 03:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
We still believe.

All in jest sir.

I enjoy knives and fire.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
DJ FC

For Shameful Transgressions
Quote:
Originally posted by fancymeghan:
....and the thing that bothered me the most were those assfucks who didn't get out much (aka: necks, slackjaws, hillbillies) and would get pissy with me when i told them they'd have to wait for something or another. they'd act like i was the biggest dumbass in the world when they would be decked out in their fringed leather vests and cowboy hats covering their mullets.

i always knew that i was smarter than those people and just because they were older/the customer, they thought they were so much better than me. most of those fuckers have about 3 illigitimate children (some of their kids would be with them), no common sense, and a fashion sense that makes your skin crawl.
That would really piss me off, badly.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ FC:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fancymeghan:

That would really piss me off, badly.
</font>[/quote]
It happens everywhere. Because a customer comes into a restaurant once a month he thinks that he should be treated special, and that he can talk down to the fucking servers, and it really sucks because unless you want to lose your job there's nothing you can do about it. The worst is when it's some douchebag guy on a power trip, who you KNOW you're better/smarter whatever than him, but if you do one screw up he downs your tip like crazy. I gave a guy the wrong check once and I was like oh, sorry, i'll go get it. It was like a 35.00 bill and he tipped me a quarter...I wanted so badly to go outside to him, chuck his quarter in his face and say "keep your money, you fucking nerdy bitch" and then kick his ass.

I'd rather get completely stiffed for a tip than get something that's like under a dollar...that's just insulting.

― Terence McKenna
Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Roscoe P. Coldchain

Internets: 1425
StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of StabMaster Arson has much to be proud of
I'm actually a pretty good tipper, especially when on a date. I rarely go to sit-down restaurants though.

Any of you that can/do go to bars, what do you tip there?
I always go a dollar a drink regardless if it's a $1 high life or an $10 maui wowie.

LEGALIZE CRIME!
StabMaster Arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
DJ FC

For Shameful Transgressions
I rarely tip for drinks. I'll leave them my change sometimes.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by StabMaster Arson:
I'm actually a pretty good tipper, especially when on a date. I rarely go to sit-down restaurants though.

Any of you that can/do go to bars, what do you tip there?
I always go a dollar a drink regardless if it's a $1 high life or an $10 maui wowie.
I go by this same policy, unless the change is more convenient to give, and still acceptable. If I order a long island and two beers and it comes to $8, they're only getting the $2 change from a 10.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute
I'm fine with tipping in a retaurant but it's getting out of hand elsewhere. I dont fucking think I should have to tip every fucking person I come across who's just doing their job. I'm sorry, but if the establishment you work at isnt paying you shit for an hourly wage then maybe you shouldn't be working the job in the first place. Basically this is the man screwing over their employee's and then making the customer feel guilty about it. So the employee gets screwed, the customer gets screwed and the man sits back and gets the benefits. It's out of hand man. I've seen people tipping the gas station pumper, the barber, even the checker at the grocery store. Where does it end?! Will it ever stop?! I know you're providing a service, but that's just a fancy way of saying you're at work doing your job, which you're suppose to be getting PAID for by your EMPLOYER. The customer is there to purchase items, not put you through fucking college.

-And that's my post.
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

People pump your gas for you? That's weird... I wouldn't want some random dude sticking his nozzle in my gas tank.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Almost there...

Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute
Oh it's not so bad...Once you get over the initial urge to tighten up and try to run away you'll just lay back and accept it.

It's the law in Oregon.

-And that's my post.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Wait wait wait, it's the law in Oregon that someone must pump your gas for you? God damn.

-Ugly Bastard
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Almost there...

Yeah. We're not allowed to pump our own gas. It's funny cause when I went to cali for the first time I was sitting around waiting...And then I was like oh snap! I have to do it myself!? So I get out of my car and, as much as it pains me to admit this, I actually took me a few seconds to figure out how to do it lol. My state has made a Invalid of me.

-And that's my post.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Ignorance is bliss.