Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Default Houston, Texas 4.5 Months In - Some Thoughts

Houston, Texas 4.5 Months In - Some Thoughts

After graduating college in December, I started making steps to fullfill my desire to move out of Indiana. Sometime in March a priceless friend in Houston, Texas offered me a chance to move into his spare bedroom. I went ahead and seized the opportunity. In early April I drove 18 straight hours, through the night, with a puppy in a cage in my backseat, out of the state I grew up in, to Houston, Texas, where I had spent a mere 6 days of my whole life, in quest for something greater than the boredom and repetitiveness I had encountered in Indiana. Consider this post a collection of random thoughts that are currently scrambling through my brain 4.5 months after making a major change in my life:

A.) I'll get the most important thing out of the way: The decision to leave Indiana and move somewhere else, while knowing just one person, scared shitless, and out of money; was the best thing I've done in my short 22 years on this Earth. To those of you reading this who find themselves in Indiana, where you have been for the majority of your life; I cannot encourage you enough to take a stab at living somewhere else as soon as reasonably possible. Life is an adventure. This isn't a fucking dress rehearsal. This is your life. You're only getting older. Capitalize this very fucking minute and leave everything on the playing field. You're not going to get another chance.

B.) I have learned more in the past 4.5 months than I did in the entire 3.5 years I was in undergrad. Granted a large portion on this is a product of living with a fucking genius whose friends are also geniuses, but I feel that even if I was living with total dumbasses, I still would have learned a ton about life just by moving away from my roots. Noticing a theme? Move away. You can always come back. It's America.

C.) You'd be surprised how fast you bond with your new location. For example, I moved down here as a hard-core Cubs fan. Ask my close college friends; I allocated a large portion of my energy to Chicago Cubs baseball. That in mind, I shit you not, it took me no less than 2 months to care about the Houston Astros as I ever cared about the Cubs. Before moving down here, I would have never considered this a possibility, but after arriving here, I took to my habitat like a duck in the water and now find myself unsure of who to root for while attending a Cubs-Astros game. Look to the big-picture in this example; while it might seem zany to embrace a different region than that which is current, I speak from experience when I say that, chances are, you'll really come to love your new location, especially if it's better than your previous dwelling.

I could go on, but in the interest of increasing the chance that y'all will actually read this post after scrolling through to see how long it is, I will wrap things up.

I live in Houston right now. When focusing entirely on evalutating Houston, Texas, from an objective standpoint, I would tell you this: It is very standard. It's a huge city with a nice amount of things to occupy your time with, but the city itself is far from being a topic of conversation for people all around the world.

I am thrilled with the time I have spent, and am yet to spend, in Houston. It's a great city that I have bonded with enough to say that I have "lived" here at some point in my life. All of that in mind, I doubt I will live here for more than 1-2 years in my life. Just as equally as my heart yearned to leave Indiana, it yearns to make sure I do not live in Houston for much longer than another several months.

So what's next? I want to see more of the world. I want to live in California. I want to live in New York City. I'd even consider moving to Europe for a while if it seemed practical.

The point of me saying all of this is; life is an adventure. Leave it all on the playing field. You have nothing to gain by staying in the secure little bubble you currently find yourself in. I'm sure some part of your soul, even if it's just the very deepest part, is saying to your brain upon reading this post, "YES! listen to what this guy is saying," All I ask is that you lend more attention to that voice. I like you guys. I don't want you to wake up in 20 years and realize that you should have heeded the slightly disorganized words of your adventurous friend on some random internet messageboard. Live your life how YOU want to lead it. You answer to none. This is your life. What am I asking? That you lead YOUR life exactly how you REALLY want to lead it. In the end, we all die alone. Make sure you're happy with yourself when that day comes.

-Your Friend
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
*Dislikes ham

Internets: 60790
vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute

So you're in Texas right now? Tell me this, have you had sex with Tracey yet?

Putting the sensual in non-consensual.
vaga1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know who Tracey is.
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 01:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

Internets: 194538
angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute

tracey was a slut from bjj.net who lives in Austin. Some dumbass married her and she's not been heard from since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I will rape your soul in hell forever.
angry pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Bastard
So what's next? I want to see more of the world. * * *. I'd even consider moving to Europe for a while if it seemed practical.
Everybody should do this for at least a little while. You'll find that some things we do here don't make much sense and vice-versa.

Quote:
Unread 08-27-2006, 01:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gangnam Style

Internets: 213510
f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute

For Shameful Transgressions

I feel the same way about Las Vegas, and while I still love my friends and family back home, I do not miss the midwest one bit.
f3lix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 03:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaga1220
So you're in Texas right now? Tell me this, have you had sex with Tracey yet?
LOL!!! Classic!
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

So I take it you have a job down there? Whats the market like?
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 284585
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork

california blows, go to NY next

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Internets: 412
theMerciless1 is just really nice theMerciless1 is just really nice theMerciless1 is just really nice theMerciless1 is just really nice theMerciless1 is just really nice

UB's post in a nutshell: Indiana Sucks, carpe diem.

and who the fuck did tracy marry???

i who have nothing but the comfort of my sins
theMerciless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

theMerciless1 is just really nice theMerciless1 is just really nice theMerciless1 is just really nice theMerciless1 is just really nice theMerciless1 is just really nice

and UB, I'd do cali before NYC simply because NYC is easier to enjoy when you're a bit older and vice versa with cali

Unread 08-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

I can't remember the name of who she married. He was verananzo or some shit like that on bjj.net. I might be wrong on that though. I'll have to ask Buck. I think he still keeps up with her. Also heard somebody married Amanda's fat ass as well.

Quote:
Unread 08-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

venenozo??? i thought he was from NY?

MANDY got wifed too???

Unread 08-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache

Wow mandy was wifed too? There's a blast from the past. California's definitely something you should get out of the way but I think you'll find a lot of our laws ridiculous, and it's fucking expensive as hell here too. That being said, there is NO STATE BAR NONE with weirder real estate laws than Texas. If you plan on buying a house at some point, stay away from Texas.

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

weird real estate laws? Like what?

Quote:
Unread 08-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMerciless1
venenozo??? i thought he was from NY?

MANDY got wifed too???
Venenozo am now in Austin, Texas.

Mandy's ginermous ass got wifed to some dude in Cleveland after she moved there.

Quote:
Unread 08-30-2006, 03:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute

Where do I begin? Keep in mind Texas is the only state that has these:

-There's a mandatory waiting period of 12 days after a loan application is taken (no matter how quick I close it). The disclosure form informing the applicant, must have an original signature (not a faxed copy) in the file. The 12 days starts the date they sign that.
-You are only allowed to refinance a property once per year, no exceptions.
-If you are taking cash out (whether to pay off bills or cash in hand) you're only allowed to finance up to 80% of the value of the home.
-Even if you're not taking cash, but if you ever have with that same property, you're still capped at 80%.
-Most properties require a full land survey in the file.
-A final Housing and Urban Development settlement statement must be in the applicant's hands for 24 hours before they're able to sign.
-Documents must be signed at an attorney's office instead of just having a regular notary do it. (There are a couple of other states that require this as well but it's only like 2-3).
-Applicant's must sign a form saying they're waiving their right to rescind. The loan will not fund until it has been signed. In all other states, simply not rescinding is good enough.
-Points must be paid in discount points. I don't even know what this means, it's just another weird thing only done in Texas.

Those are just some off the top of my head, but on top of that you can look forward to paying some of the highest property taxes in the country. California isn't a whole lot better as far as property tax but believe it or not, it usually is. Oh and your title fees will be outrageous as well. Almost the entire rest of the US conforms pretty much to traditional regulations, with an exception here and there. Doing a loan in Texas is a nightmare.

Unread 08-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

Wow..So no offense UB but basically all you're saying is "get out there and live your life."...Not exactly a novel idea. I'm glad you're enjoying your new environment though.
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 250185
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

Yes but in texas they cannot take your house when you file bankrupsy.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2006, 08:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

OK Wayne, I see. Texas has no weird real estate rules. It's lending that you're has some wrinkles to it. That I confess, is a different ball game. On the otherhand, some of the items you mention are only problems on the lender's end. Particularly out of state lenders. Not only that some of what you mention aren't laws or regulations (i.e. the lawyers office to close). I have no idea why you just don't use a title company to handle the whole shebang at closing.

A lot of this goes back to the fact that branch banking in Texas is a fairly new concept. Also as soon as it started, the S & L industry went bust. Want to avoid all the shit that Wayne just mentioned. Go to an in state mortgage company. It's lending laws that are weird in Texas, particulalrly from out of state lenders and brokers. Texas is just about 30 years behind the times. HOme equity loans are just a few years old here.

Quote:
Unread 08-31-2006, 08:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W. Bush
Yes but in texas they cannot take your house when you file bankrupsy.
Depends.

Quote:
Unread 08-31-2006, 12:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Not sure about the title company thing, all I know is that it has to prepared and closed by an attorney. If the title company prepares the report, it still has to be at least approved by an attorney.

As for the "bankrupsy" AP is definitely correct. The laws have changed fairly recently. A chapter 7 may result in your house gettnig taken. A chapter 13 they can't take because you're still making payments. I'm not aware if there's any difference in Texas or not though. I'm only licensed in Connecticut, Oregon, and Illinois. Strangely enough, not California. But I just have to go back and take the test again for that.

Unread 08-31-2006, 01:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 250185
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Mustache
I'm not aware if there's any difference in Texas or not though.
I was referring to the homestead laws in Texas. I thought these protected your home when you filed for bankruptcy?

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2006, 06:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

I figured you were referring to the homestead rules. However, you have to qualify for the homestead. Believe it or not, some homes don't qualify for homestead exemption. Even then the exemption has limits to it. A couple of things though: 1) if there's a mortgage --it doesn't matter. 2) Most normal run of the mill homes are going to fall within the homestead exemption.

This is mainly because the Bankruptcy Code allows the debtor to elect to take federal exemptions or state exemptions.

As for my co-counsel wayne, he's just messing with you. He knows that all things in bankruptcy court are federal and those courts have a seperate admissions process seperate from the states and no bar exam is required. It's a matter of filling out a one page form and writing a check.

Also, an attorney does not have to be involved in the closing of a home sale. Oddly enough, Texas is one of the few states where it makes no sense to have an attorney involved in the purchase/sale. The only place an attorney typically comes involved in the process is in making sure that the title is clear. All transfers in Texas are governed by RECLA and the same RECLA forms must be used. The agent and title company do pretty much everything.

Quote: