Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?

Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Movember 2010/2011 (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/general-chat/17831-movember-2010-2011-a.html)

Orgazmo 10-21-2010 12:23 PM

Movember 2010/2011

Gentlemen,

Movember is just around the corner. I know we had a bit of impromptu "let's see your mustaches" content last year, but nothing at all organized.

For those of you not familiar, Movember refers to the union of Mustaches and November in an effort to raise awareness for cancers that affect men. Instead of wearing ribbons or pink, gentlemen show their support by growing a mustache. A manly god damned mustache.

The rules state that one is to shave their face in its entirety on November 1. Throughout the month, one is to continue shaving their entire face except for the mustache. The rules state that the sideburns must not touch the mustache and that there be no hair below the bottom lip. Of course, hair beneath the bottom lip is the only way that some can justify having a mustache...so do what you must. Let's focus on the mustaches here, though.

The Movember Site offers information as well as the ability to create a MoSpace. One can use their MoSpace to solicit donations, chronicle their progress and join others' MoSpaces to form a group.

For the closest knit groups of Movemberers, the end of the month normally means a formal party held where gatherers come together, collect donations, and show off the mustaches they've been working hard to cultivate. Of course, we're all worthless and very far away from one another, so that very likely won't happen. That said, if you venture out to a bar on the last weekend of the month, don't be surprised if you find others sporting a stache. I randomly found myself at a Movember celebration at a bar last year and was given a $25 gift card.

In this thread, I'd like to see commitments to the Movember cause. I'd like to see each of you clean shaven on November 1st as well as regular progress pictures throughout the month. If you don't want to hassle with the donation stuff, that's fine...but at least let people know about the cause when they inevitably ask why you're growing a mustache. Not only does it get you off the hook for being a weirdass, it gets more people in the know and will make Movember 2011 that much bigger.

Even for the folks that can't grow a bountiful mustache, commit! It's fine if you have a wispy line of hairs on your lip. It's not about the stache, it's about the cause, the conversation, and the dedication. Let's come together for male cancer.

Who will pledge to participate in Movember 2010? Place your name below to signify your dediction.

People Who Hate Male Cancer
Orgazmo

Mr. Blonde 10-21-2010 12:30 PM

I participated last year and managed to raise almost $100 alone -- our group of 5 raised less than $150. Not that it's a competition, but if you're raising money for charity it can be pretty fun.

My work doesn't allow me to grow facial hair. I fully plan on telling them to go straight to hell if they have a problem with me growing it out for such a cause.

We should start a Nubblies team since most of my IRL friends suck and won't do this. Team name suggestions?

Ugly Bastard 10-21-2010 12:41 PM

I'm going to weigh this. The reason I've never done it before is not because I'm terrible at growing a mustache but more because I usually go over to someone's house for Thanksgiving that I don't know terribly well and I don't want to spook them with a molester 'stache. But, the idea of explaining to people that I'm doing it to raise money for male cancer awareness might be all the loophole I need.

Orgazmo 10-21-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly Bastard (Post 396641)
I'm going to weigh this. The reason I've never done it before is not because I'm terrible at growing a mustache but more because I usually go over to someone's house for Thanksgiving that I don't know terribly well and I don't want to spook them with a molester 'stache. But, the idea of explaining to people that I'm doing it to raise money for male cancer awareness might be all the loophole I need.

Yes, I had to go to BT's family thanksgiving with a very large mustache last year. Surprisingly, they didn't say much. I later found out they weren't saying anything to me because they were talking to her behind my back asking if it was serious and telling her to tell me that I needed to trim it if I was going to really have a mustache.

Nonetheless, having a legit cause to backup the mustache takes it from being weird to being noble. It makes those who would normally laugh at you shake your hand. The number of hands I shook in bars last year numbered in the tens. The tens, I tell you. People appreciate the cause and the gesture once they know what it's all about.

Ugly Bastard 10-21-2010 12:49 PM

Another reason I might be into this: at the request of my gf, I've been sporting a pleasure patch for the past few months and as of late I've been looking for a reason to shave it off. Not that I don't think it looks good, it looks okay (better than it comes off in that pic imo), but it's not a piece of facial hair I care to become associated with long term.

Der Fuhrer 10-21-2010 02:24 PM

I probably won't be involved in this cause. As an immortal God, I don't have much fear of cancer. Likewise, as an extremely self-centered individual, I don't care much about other people.

Repugnant Abomination 10-21-2010 04:03 PM

I too want to join this noble cause but am worried about my employer. I recently got hired at a hospital and I'm not sure what the facial hair policy is. I'll look into it.

Orgazmo 10-21-2010 05:20 PM

Fuhrer: Don't be a homo about this. Grow a mustache and join the club of awareness.

Repug: The hospital probably supports Prostate and Testicular Cancer (not awareness, the disease...they don't want to go out of business, after all), so I'd imagine they will not allow you to participate. I urge you to quit your job.

Plus...remember a long time ago when you made a thread dedicated to nothing but you growing a mustache? It failed. And then remember when you did again about a year ago? It kinda failed again (though it did lead to some Movember talk). I think it's time to come through. To dedicate yourself to being a man and standing up for what is right.

THEINCREDIBLEdork 10-21-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly Bastard (Post 396643)
Another reason I might be into this: at the request of my gf, I've been sporting a pleasure patch for the past few months and as of late I've been looking for a reason to shave it off. Not that I don't think it looks good, it looks okay (better than it comes off in that pic imo), but it's not a piece of facial hair I care to become associated with long term.

If you can retain that amount of thickness to the bottom of your chin, you have the potential to have a kickass mudflap.

Ironic Mustache 10-21-2010 10:04 PM

Don't be ashamed UB. It happens.

http://www.nubblies.net/forums/Photo...a/2/cruise.jpg

Orgazmo 10-21-2010 11:29 PM

One of the first Nubblies threads was about the pleasure patch (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/rants...ure-patch.html).

Nonetheless, I still see a list with one name on it. Would you assholes mind solemnly committing by tacking your name to the god damned list?

Make it official. Let the world know that you won't sit around while testicular and prostate cancers make women of men. Take a stand. Grow a fucking mustache.

Mr. Blonde 10-22-2010 12:17 AM

THOUGHT IT WAS A GIVEN, COCKFACE

Orgayzmo
Blonde

thekremlin 10-22-2010 01:38 AM

Goddammit. I'm going back home for Thanksgiving, my first one at home in like 6 years, and I'm completely not looking forward to explaining my stupid mustache a million times, especially not to the people from HS I haven't seen in years.... but fuck it this is an awesome idea.

Orgayzmo
Blonde
Kremlin

ninjaface 10-22-2010 07:16 PM

I gotta check the facial hair policy at work. If it allows such a thing, I'll grow out my terrible blonde mustache.

DDTempest 10-22-2010 07:39 PM

I haven't trimmed my beard in like two months, I am not willing to sacrifice it for a mustache or your ball cancer. Having said that, I do have a mustache accompanying the ensemble and it will likely remain untrimmed.

Mr. Blonde 10-22-2010 09:26 PM

You're at least going to shave the beard, and keep the mustache, right?

Fruitacious B 10-22-2010 09:43 PM

Question: I've already got some facial hair, can I shave the rest and keep the stache' that's already developed? I want to be certain that I'm worthy of the Tom Selleck seal of approval by the end of the month. Either way, I'm in.

People Who Hate Male Cancer
'Gaz
Blonde
kremlin
?DDTempest?
Fruitacious B

Mr. Blonde 10-22-2010 10:48 PM

Officially, no. I did it last year and while I had a sweet mustache, I caught a lot of flak for not shaving it on the first.

Fruitacious B 10-22-2010 10:55 PM

But wouldn't it kind of raise more awareness from the start? I mean, during the first week, no one will even know.

Mr. Blonde 10-22-2010 11:10 PM

True. I say do it.

Orgazmo 10-23-2010 12:32 AM

A large chunk of Movember is folks starting at square one and moving forward. Going into it with a developed stache goes against this.

That said, I did as Blonde last year. I will say, though, I'm looking forward to starting fresh on November 1st this year and measuring my progress vs the rest of you's.

Fruitacious B 10-23-2010 01:10 AM

So it pretty much starts shortly after the start of November in that case? Once people can see a mustache.

Then again, it really does only take a day or two to get some growth going. But I haven't taken a razor to my face in over two years (beard trimmer does well enough). I don't know if have the stones to completely start from scratch.

I'll trim it to the shortest possible setting, which is a bit shorter than a five o'clock shadow. That's all I think I'm willing to do.

DDTempest 10-23-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde (Post 396763)
You're at least going to shave the beard, and keep the mustache, right?

THE BEARD STAYS

thekremlin 10-23-2010 08:54 AM

Shit fellas I gotta say.

To be honest I'd rather not like like 1980s white trash when I see my grandmother and high school friends this thanksgiving. But that's how I look with a mustache so that's how I'll look.

Seems to me the idea is to step a little bit outside your comfort zone on this one.

If you're not in the habit of getting a clean shave, I recommend you treat yourself to a turkish shave and haircut. Might make your wallet a little lighter, but you'll feel years younger and it would be a good way to start the month off.

Everyone makes their own call but seems to me that to do this is to do it right.

Orgazmo 10-23-2010 01:17 PM

Kremlin is spot on here.

This is about a group of gentlemen sporting a mustache for a common cause. While the solidarity of the mustache is nice, the real testament is sharing the growth from zero on Nov 1 to full on Nov 30. Saying things like, "I have a beard and mustache and have for 2 months and don't plan on shaving" is just another way of saying, "I'm not going to participate."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit
I'll trim it to the shortest possible setting, which is a bit shorter than a five o'clock shadow. That's all I think I'm willing to do.

If you're willing to shave to shorter than a 5 o'clock shadow, why not just take a razor to your face and follow the rules as they're written? Sure, going from 5 o'clock shadow on is basically doing it the right way anyway, but if you're willing to go 99%, why not just make it completely compliant with the rules?