Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #51 (permalink)

Internets: 284753
Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute

Really dent, posting a salon article? Is this satire?
Saint DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #52 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Internets: 174266
Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; DH discuss whether Salon article is satire.
Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #53 (permalink)

Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read the thread. I wasn't discussing anything. I was criticizing your choice of information sources. Apparently sarcasm is lost on "great minds". Lol
Unread 01-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #54 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

I'm willing to bet he's more frustrated you are not actually willing to use that brain of yours to contribute to topics, preferring instead to troll meaninglessly and otherwise fruitlessly derail discussions instead of, say, simply not posting.

Unless you have something substantive to say about Salon or the article (that you didn't read), of course...

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #55 (permalink)

Suppose I was trying to get a feel for dent. He's a bit of an enigma around here. I think I know all I need to at this point.

Btw I was asking if dent's posting of the article was satire, not if the article itself was satire.

Please continue with your circle jerk uninterrupted.
Unread 01-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #56 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Richter View Post
Btw I was asking if dent's posting of the article was satire, not if the article itself was satire.
No my posting was not satire, i'm not sure how it could have been.
It's also not my choice of information sauces, I already know what Harris/Dawkins/Shermer/Krauss have said on the topic. The article condenses that.

Here I am calling out Harris on his protein argument on the same topic in July 14
Zen Shit

Rogan on topic last night

Last edited by Dent; 01-22-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Unread 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #57 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Salon have already copped a bunch of shit for the article
Letter From The Rubble Of A Salon Article - The Daily Banter

Vegans, what should we do about Sam Harris?

Last edited by Dent; 01-22-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Unread 01-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #58 (permalink)
Spice Master

Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Sam Harris and Salon haven't been getting along for a bit now, so it's good to take both side's opinions with a grain of salt.

Sam Harris: The ‘Salon’ Interview: Sam Harris

Quote:
I consider Salon to be among the worst offenders of the new pseudo-journalism, and I have long maintained a personal boycott of the website. I ask my publishers to ignore any requests from its editors for interviews or for review copies of my books. And on the rare occasions that Salon publishes good work—the articles of Jeffrey Tayler stand out—I decline to forward the links on social media. My reason is simple: Despite the work of a few blameless writers, Salon has become a cesspool of lies and moral confusion.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 01-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #59 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Richter View Post
Suppose I was trying to get a feel for dent. He's a bit of an enigma around here. I think I know all I need to at this point.

Please continue with your circle jerk uninterrupted.
For the record, you are always welcome to interrupt/join our circle-jerks, I thought you were just trolling. My apologies if I misunderstood.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 01-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #60 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
And it was the only time Karellen bad shown anger, or at least the appearance of anger. "You may kill one another if you wish," the message had gone, "and that is a matter between you and your own laws. But if you slay, except for food or in self-defence, the beasts that share your world with you-then you may be answerable to me."

No one knew exactly how comprehensive this ban was supposed to be, or what Karellen would do to enforce it. They had not long to wait.

The Plaza de Toros was full when the matadors and their attendants began their professional entry. Everything seemed normal: the brilliant sunlight blazed harshly on the traditional costumes, the great crowd greeted its favourites as it had a hundred times before. Yet here and there faces were turned anxiously towards the sky, to the aloof silver shape fifty kilo-metres above Madrid.

Then the picadors had taken up their places and the bull had come snorting out into the arena. The skinny horses, nostrils wide with terror, had wheeled in the sunlight as their riders forced them to meet their enemy. The first lance flashed-made contact-and at that moment came a sound that had never been heard on Earth before.

It was the sound of ten-thousand people screaming with the pain of the same wound----ten thousand people who, when they had recovered from the shock, found themselves completely unharmed. But that was the end of that bull-fight, and indeed of all bull-fighting, for the news spread rapidly. It is worth recording that the aficionados were so shaken that only one in ten asked for their money back, and also that the London Daily Mirror made matters much worse by suggesting that the Spaniards adopt cricket as a new national sport.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 02-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #61 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

"Nietzsche rejects a persisting self; real distinctions of objects and properties, categorical and dispositional properties, causes and effects; free will. He holds that determinism is true, reality is one and fundamentally experiential."
Unread 02-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #62 (permalink)
Spice Master

Nietzsche and Zen

Quote:
Here I offer a summary of Nietzsche’s philosophical development and say something
about what Zen is. There is something inherently paradoxical about trying to do
either. Nietzsche’s philosophy and Zen are elusive, aphoristic and practical in ways
that render any précis of them incomplete and misleading. Paradoxically, their
essence is to have no essence. The only way to understand Nietzsche is to read him
and think. The only way to understand Zen is to do it or, more accurately, be it.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 03-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #63 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

what does the fox eat?
Unread 03-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #64 (permalink)
Spice Master

That is an Amanita Muscaria and allegedly poisonous to humans if it is unprepared. Preparating included parboiling which somehow "breaks down" the poison. I am not sure about foxes.

While commonly associated with the more classic psychedelic varieties of fungus, the Amanita Muscaria, when prepared properly, at best seems to put the subject into a hazy, dreamy, sub-psychedelic state.

Fun fact: it was also purported to be used by ancient Vikings to put them in a "berserker" state before battle.

Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria) - History and Uses - Sacred Earth Ethnobotany Resources

― Terence McKenna
Unread 03-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #65 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Discovery Channel Fact #347
Unread 04-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #66 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Here are some images to represent the philosophy of mind descriptions.
Epiphenomenalism

monistic materialism

Descartes interactionist dualism

Idealism/panpsychism

mind uploading implications
Unread 04-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #67 (permalink)
Spice Master

Let's bring it back to this thread. Dent try not to clog the damn thing with large infographs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/david-chalmers

This podcast was incredible. It was so refreshing to listen to two minds that seem to understand each other in totality (as far as their back and forth). I feel like Chalmers and Harris agree on a lot and that was really nice too -- Chalmers seems to have a very nice "openness" about philosophical opinions, my first real intro to im was that NDT debate about if we are living in a simulation.

I liked that they mentioned "What is the Consciousnes of a Bat Like?" by Nagel as that was the first book/Zen koan I ever really registered that made me think differently about nonhuman animals.

Overall, just a refreshing podcast and nice to see guys talk about the legitimatel philosophical possibility of things like Simulation Theory and conscious AI (minus the hard problem, which does seem to be a significant obstacle).

― Terence McKenna
Unread 04-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #68 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Fancy giving me your take of the hard problem? I like Dp's solution as you know

Last edited by Dent; 04-23-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Unread 04-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #69 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Chalmers on the binding problem
http://consc.net/papers/combination.pdf

Last edited by Dent; 04-23-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Unread 04-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #70 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Mr. Blonde are you living in Arizona?THE SCIENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS - 2016 TUCSON CONFERENCE ..
Unread 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #71 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent View Post
Fancy giving me your take of the hard problem
Tried to find a best explanation of it that makes sense to all the lurking little bitches:

Quote:
why on earth should all those complicated brain processes feel like anything from the inside? Why aren’t we just brilliant robots, capable of retaining information, of responding to noises and smells and hot saucepans, but dark inside, lacking an inner life? And how does the brain manage it? How could the 1.4kg lump of moist, pinkish-beige tissue inside your skull give rise to something as mysterious as the experience of being that pinkish-beige lump, and the body to which it is attached?
As far as I have been able to make out from my own research, it's basically just pointing to the fundamental human quality of qualitative perception is it not?

I feel like this is about as close to actually "meditating" that most material scientists will ever come to, sadly, because it is putting the focus on the primary aspect of our consciousness that asks any questions at all (curiosity). It seems akin to the classic existentialist "Why??????" revamped in modern neuroscientific literature and language.

"Why do we experience anything at all" is an extremely valuable question, but I think that the only real way to become satisfied with the fact that Consciousness DOES exist is by exploring one's own inner world, including their own personal psychological/conditioned motivations to keep up with the latest scientific lingo and debates.

Here is another decent definition I found:

Quote:
The hard problem of consciousness is the problem of explaining why any physical state is conscious rather than nonconscious. It is the problem of explaining why there is “something it is like” for a subject in conscious experience, why conscious mental states “light up” and directly appear to the subject.
Again, this seems like classic philosophical/ontological angst to me. Instead of "why am I here on this planet/is there a God/what is the meaning of life", it transfers over to a complex scientific phenomenon that keeps one still focused on an existential issue, but not one of the traditional ones. I'm reminded of the Anthropic Principle of the universe: the only reason we can contemplate why we are conscious at all, is BECAUSE we are conscious. If we were "philosophical zombies" (which may exist on a planet somewhere), none of this speculation would even be possible. I view it as one of the great benefits of life.

As far as being conscious/un/nonconscious goes, from a psychological (and practical) point of view, I think that we as a human species need first to agree with each other about consciousness in general. For example, I struggle with biting my nails, and have all my life. However I still find that when I am driving, or watching a movie, or otherwise not paying attention to the present moment, and what I am doing in it, I find my conditioned reflex begin biting my nails again. During that period of time I am "unconscious", at least on a certain level. Only when I become aware of the fact that I am biting my nails, can I cease the behavior. While I remain unaware of the behavior, it is impossible to change.

Likewise, many "human error" accidents happen simply because people were daydreaming and not paying attention to the present moment. Instead of paying attention to the road, they are "somewhere else" (unconscious to a degree relative to the actual physical world). Their focal attention is not in the material plane, but on the ethereal plane of thoughts and fancy. But when they crash, we call this an "accident". No, they were unconscious and not paying attention to what they were doing. Do you think many people will readily admit to this fact after causing an accident? I could list thousands of "unconscious" examples of human behavior that is conditioned and undisciplined.

So, right here you have one (small) example of how a human being can drift into being conscious in the waking state, and "unconscious" in the waking state. This happens every day with every individual, because our human bodies are wired to be conditioned. We continue habits and conditioned behavior (much of which comes from developmental years) and it continues unchecked for years, possibly a whole life-time without being noticed or changed. You have sub-conscious beings who believe they are conscious, when they will never have access to that "inner world", sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Harris
“Take a moment to think about the context in which your next decision will occur: You did not pick your parents or the time and place of your birth. You didn't choose your gender or most of your life experiences. You had no control whatsoever over your genome or the development of your brain. And now your brain is making choices on the basis of preferences and beliefs that have been hammered into it over a lifetime - by your genes, your physical development since the moment you were conceived, and the interactions you have had with other people, events, and ideas. Where is the freedom in this? Yes, you are free to do what you want even now. But where did your desires come from?

― Terence McKenna

Last edited by Mr. Blonde; 04-27-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Unread 05-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #72 (permalink)
Spice Master

If insects have consciousness, what then? - The Globe and Mail

https://www.reddit.com/r/philosophy/...iousness_what/

― Terence McKenna
Unread 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #73 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Remember when Dent got excited about Strawsonian Physicalism before Sam Harris?

Sam Harris
16 May at 17:09 ·
Nice inversion/restatement of the "hard problem" of consciousness by Galen Strawson:
http://nyti.ms/1XfiB96
Unread 05-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #74 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacy-r..._10112630.html
Dent is the chunky fuck to the top right

Last edited by Dent; 06-29-2016 at 11:46 AM.