Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Crazy Stuff > I'm Right, Fuck You

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #976 (permalink)
Bokononist

Internets: 11801
Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute

Shit like this man...shit like this.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand." |vonnegut
Fruitacious B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #977 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache

Oooooooh. I always wondered about that.

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #978 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how they can get around saying "similar animals" and still deny evolution.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #979 (permalink)

Internets: 284753
Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sort of going through some changes in my mental state when it comes to this topic (of the existence of God, not so much creation vs evolution, I wholeheartedly believe in evolution. I just think creationism makes an infinitely complex God seem quite simple). Over the past 10 years or so, I have not given a fuck about God. If he was there, I told him defiantly to fuck himself. If he wasn't there, I didn't care. In the last 4 or so years I have completely denied his existence altogether. If he was there, I renounced him. I would rather go to hell than worship some invisible God who already was nonexistence in my life.

In the last two or so years I have experienced some significant losses in my life. The first only drove me further away from God. I've always had a lot of hate inside of me, but it seemed to increase. Recently I experienced a loss that stung quite a bit deeper than the previous (a kind of snowball effect, if you will). At first I was so angry, I damn near lost my mind. A few nights ago I was in a lot of pain over it. There was nothing to comfort me. I reached out to something else that I couldn't see. Believe it or not, when I reached out to whatever it was, I felt comforted almost immediately. Perhaps this was a psychological phenomenon, but let me tell you, there was nothing inside me that provided any comfort for a long, long time. I don't know what this means.

I'm not saying that I believe this is a God, only that I am far more open to the idea of a benevolent power who works in some very fucked up ways (seemingly to us, because we cannot comprehend). I can tell you this, I am going to start looking for God, and I'm going to see if I can find him. All I know is that I feel better, happier, than I have in a long time. And even though I'm greatly sadden by my loss, the thought of possibly being able to see them again is far more tolerable than the thought of permanent death. I feel like I can be a better, stronger person. I feel like I don't need to cling to my hate, I can let it go. There are many things I'm trying to sort out in my mind. And while I do not believe in the Christian "biblical" God, I do not reject the possibility of a higher power pulling the strings of this world in ways which we cannot comprehend.

Last edited by Saint DH; 12-11-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Saint DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #980 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

I think what you felt was the very real human need to find understanding. When events are unexplainable, in your case because of the pain, something, anything that provides some peace of mind is going fill the need for understanding with "whatever it was" and make you "feel comfort almost immediately." I think that is how religions form.

People go through that process enough times, notice that other people do aw well, and then they start coming up with ideas as to what the "something" was, and turn it into a god or religion.

So to paraphrase a NOFX song; even though their beliefs in what that something is, their happiness from it is very real.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #981 (permalink)
Bokononist

Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute Fruitacious B has a reputation beyond repute

I've definitely found comfort in calling out to whatever powers that be (the Universe, God, the force, etc.), whatever it is that is bigger than me that I don't understand. It's either prayer or meditation, however you want to look at it. But tossing out some feeling to forces unknown is sometimes one of the few things to keep me humbled. I mean seriously, stare at the stars for a few minutes, it's very humbling. It's good to feel small in the face of whatever it is that makes this all happen, God or not.

Good luck in your search, perhaps you'll find something worthwhile.

Unread 12-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #982 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 250185
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
For Shameful Transgressions
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I'm sort of going through some changes in my mental state when it comes to this topic (of the existence of God, not so much creation vs evolution, I wholeheartedly believe in evolution. I just think creationism makes an infinitely complex God seem quite simple). Over the past 10 years or so, I have not given a fuck about God. If he was there, I told him defiantly to fuck himself. If he wasn't there, I didn't care. In the last 4 or so years I have completely denied his existence altogether. If he was there, I renounced him. I would rather go to hell than worship some invisible God who already was nonexistence in my life.

In the last two or so years I have experienced some significant losses in my life. The first only drove me further away from God. I've always had a lot of hate inside of me, but it seemed to increase. Recently I experienced a loss that stung quite a bit deeper than the previous (a kind of snowball effect, if you will). At first I was so angry, I damn near lost my mind. A few nights ago I was in a lot of pain over it. There was nothing to comfort me. I reached out to something else that I couldn't see. Believe it or not, when I reached out to whatever it was, I felt comforted almost immediately. Perhaps this was a psychological phenomenon, but let me tell you, there was nothing inside me that provided any comfort for a long, long time. I don't know what this means.

I'm not saying that I believe this is a God, only that I am far more open to the idea of a benevolent power who works in some very fucked up ways (seemingly to us, because we cannot comprehend). I can tell you this, I am going to start looking for God, and I'm going to see if I can find him. All I know is that I feel better, happier, than I have in a long time. And even though I'm greatly sadden by my loss, the thought of possibly being able to see them again is far more tolerable than the thought of permanent death. I feel like I can be a better, stronger person. I feel like I don't need to cling to my hate, I can let it go. There are many things I'm trying to sort out in my mind. And while I do not believe in the Christian "biblical" God, I do not reject the possibility of a higher power pulling the strings of this world in ways which we cannot comprehend.
Oh God. Not you now.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #983 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of being insensitive, "finding God" because of a recent death is a cop out. People tend to reflect on their mortality when they're in close contact with a death, so they try to justify it. When bad people die they use the "just world" logic, where bad things happen to bad people, and when good people die, they say things like, "they've gone to a better place."

They essentially are serving the same purpose, which is attempting to make sense out of a world that is chaotic and at times, incomprehensible. Slapping a God band-aid on it really isn't the healthiest way to cope because once you're a little more emotionallu removed from this situation, you're going to be thinking differently. Rather than attempting to find meaning through God, you just need to grieve appropriately until you feel a little better. When your head clears if you still want to seek out some answers, you'll be in a much more objective state of mind.

Unread 12-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #984 (permalink)

Internets: 284753
Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you on the fact that I'm probably quite emotionally involved in the present situation. Perhaps you're right in that I'll feel differently once I have a more objective view of the situation, but my point was that I haven't really been happy in quite some time. Walking in the path of faithlessness has not lead me to a good place. It's lead me to a place of hate, self-loathing, and unhappiness. Perhaps it is not a lack of faith or God, but merely character flaws or mental illness on my own part that has lead me here. Although it may lead to nothing, I'm going to keep looking for something. I want to be a better person, and if God and religion can help get me there, then so be it. I did feel something that night, whatever it was, and I have not felt much of anything for some time now.
Saint DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #985 (permalink)
Bokononist

If that god ends up being the Christian god, I retract my last statement, no offense. Being open to spirituality and taking the most available option are two entirely different things.

"Someone once asked the Buddha, 'How do we escape the Summer's heat?' to which the Buddha replied, 'Jump into a burning furnace.'"

Unread 12-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #986 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Internets: 305662
Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo

Quote:
Walking in the path of faithlessness has not lead me to a good place.
You touched on it already...but, if you don't want to be in a bad place, make your life not lead you to a bad place. There have been plenty of Christians who have ended up in a shitty place and plenty of Atheists who have ended up in a great place.

Feel free to use religion as an excuse to get your ass in gear and change things in your life...but I do hope you realize that, if you do end up changing, it's you who are changing shit, not God.
Orgazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #987 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgazmo View Post
but I do hope you realize that, if you do end up changing, it's you who are changing shit, not God.
See "god band-aid" reference.

You're undoubtedly going to feel better in the coming months simply because you're at an extreme low right now. You shouldn't automatically attribute that to a higher authority. That's just one fantastic reason you should wait until your emotional levels are at baseline again before trying to answer emotionally and philosophically deep questions.

Unread 12-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #988 (permalink)
Spice Master

Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

I know that you're in a bad place right now, but I plea to not give in and subject yourself to any form of organized religion, if you're thinking about it. They really do prey on those in need of emotional and moral support, and it's how members like BDH got sucked in. I can understand why many people use churches and the like as social groups, but at the added cost of unquestioning obedience to a myth, it's really not worth it. It really kills me to see people being lied to and lying to themselves to cope, when there are real explanations and ample non-faith-based help solutions out there. I think that if you cope with your personal tragedies as a skeptic and a realist, you will be far better off in the long run than one who pursues wishful thinking.

Quote:
...but my point was that I haven't really been happy in quite some time. Walking in the path of faithlessness has not lead me to a good place. It's lead me to a place of hate, self-loathing, and unhappiness.
I think that everybody goes through these kinds of things in their lives at different times. I think that some kind of change is definitely in order, but I don't think that religion and the necessary suspension of rationality and reason is the best way to pursue it. I know you're still in school, and I don't know how much of it you have left, but I would highly consider trying to get out of Indiana when you graduate and go looking for new jobs. Not Chicago, either; get out of the midwest altogether. Move somewhere warm, make some new friends, start over. You have all of this and more to look forward to in life, and I can personally attest (as can probably many others on this board, and infinitely more in IRL) that leaving Indiana was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Quote:
Perhaps it is not a lack of faith or God, but merely character flaws or mental illness on my own part that has lead me here. Although it may lead to nothing, I'm going to keep looking for something.
I wouldn't blame yourself too much. A lot of this is just circumstantial, although, not to be cliche, attitude really does help, even though that's almost a form of self-brainwashing. If you've been unhappy for a long time, depression might be the cause, and it would be worth checking out.

Might I suggest looking further into the realm of science? Specifically, the mechanisms behind astronomy and biology -- more than a layman's education. Might sound kinda weird, but we humans do have a natural tendency to want to believe in things that are bigger and "higher" than ourselves --- and luckily, these things exist, and they're in the forces of nature. I have definitely given over my sense of wonder to the cosmos and the complexities of natural life rather than the metaphysical, and feel much more wonder than I ever did when I was a churchgoer. Frequently indulging myself in these has also humbled me quite a bit in terms of understand how small and pointless all of our lives are -- in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
The more I study and learn about the intricacies of nature (not just staring at the stars or a tree, but understanding the billions of years of processes that made them the way they are), the more I appreciate existing, even when things in my life are rather shitty.

Turn out the lights and full screen this shit.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 12-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #989 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
I know that you're in a bad place right now, but I plea to not give in and subject yourself to any form of organized religion, if you're thinking about it. They really do prey on those in need of emotional and moral support, and it's how members like BDH got sucked in. . . It really kills me to see people being lied to and lying to themselves to cope, when there are real explanations and ample non-faith-based help solutions out there. I think that if you cope with your personal tragedies as a skeptic and a realist, you will be far better off in the long run than one who pursues wishful thinking. . . . Move somewhere warm, make some new friends, start over. You have all of this and more to look forward to in life, and I can personally attest (as can probably many others on this board, and infinitely more in IRL) that leaving Indiana was one of the best decisions I ever made. I wouldn't blame yourself too much. A lot of this is just circumstantial, although, not to be cliche, attitude really does help, even though that's almost a form of self-brainwashing [which I'm totally not doing]. If you've been unhappy for a long time, depression might be the cause, and it would be worth checking out saaaaaaay here for instance.

Might I suggest looking further into the realm of . . . [sientology]? Specifically, the mechanisms behind astronomy and biology -- more than a layman's education. Might sound kinda weird, but we humans do have a natural tendency to want to believe in things that are bigger and "higher" than ourselves --- and luckily, these things exist, and they're in the forces of . . . [xenu]. I have definitely given over my sense of wonder to the cosmos and the complexities of natural life rather than the metaphysical, and feel much more wonder than I ever did when I was a churchgoer. Frequently indulging myself in these has also humbled me quite a bit in terms of understand how small and pointless all of our lives are -- in a good way.

The more I study and learn about the intricacies of nature (not just staring at the stars or a tree, but understanding the billions of years of processes that [Xenu] made the way they are), the more I appreciate existing, even when things in my life are rather shitty.

Turn out the lights and full screen this shit.

Tom Cruise pwns science AND religion
Fixed.

Unread 12-12-2010, 02:42 AM   #990 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 284585
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork

What did you change? both posts are above the allotted # of words I allow myself to read at one time.

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #991 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

I changed a few key phrases so that blode was shoving scientology down people's throats instead of atheism.

Unread 12-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #992 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

Atheism offers nothing. Either you can accept that or you can't.
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #993 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Mustache View Post
I changed a few key phrases so that blonde was shoving scientology down people's throats instead of atheism to shamelessly try and get posrep by needlessly exaggerating something that isn't at all a proper comparison.
Shoving down his throat, really? That's what you call an attempt at helpful, non-religious suggestions to another Nubblite? C'mon, Ironic, let's keep the discussion on point like grown-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repugnant Abomination View Post
Atheism offers nothing. Either you can accept that or you can't.
Atheism generally offers a world free of dogmatic guilt and doctrine, as well as a great deal of intellectual freedom.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #994 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Pump the breaks blonde. No need to get all sensitive, it was after all a joke. When did you get so serious about everything?

Unread 12-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #995 (permalink)

Internets: 4908
heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute heurisdick has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people are dismissing his experience a little too quickly based on the fact that they have all the answers. I think he's smart enough to be somewhat objective in spite of what he's going through. The God debate is by no means resolved. Jumping into a religion out of fear is obviously stupid. But blindly dismissing it is just as bad. I'm not saying anyone here is blindly dismissing it, but I don't think you should tell anyone to just trust your judgment on possibly the most important decision they are ever going to make. Exploring and deciding for oneself is a very healthy process. I'm more interested in hearing about what the experience that made a staunch atheist start reconsidering his views was all about.
heurisdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #996 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Care to share, Dirty harry?
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #997 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree with you on the fact that I'm probably quite emotionally involved in the present situation. Perhaps you're right in that I'll feel differently once I have a more objective view of the situation, but my point was that I haven't really been happy in quite some time. Walking in the path of faithlessness has not lead me to a good place. It's lead me to a place of hate, self-loathing, and unhappiness. Perhaps it is not a lack of faith or God, but merely character flaws or mental illness on my own part that has lead me here. Although it may lead to nothing, I'm going to keep looking for something. I want to be a better person, and if God and religion can help get me there, then so be it. I did feel something that night, whatever it was, and I have not felt much of anything for some time now.
By your method of taking a characteristic from your life and saying "well this happened when I was doing X, maybe I should do the opposite of X to see a change." You could just as easily say "wearing clothes, having 10 fingers, watching my favorite tv shows, etc." But I doubt you are going to become a nudist, chop of a finger, or start watching Two and a Half Men" and expect a change in the world.

Correlation doesn't equal causation.
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #998 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Quote:
I changed a few key phrases so that blode was shoving scientology down people's throats instead of atheism.
He was more offering ways of looking into the world not based on fairy tales; he wasn't pushing the non belief of god, rather he was pushing looking for answers in a field where the questions can actually be found and where things are connected to reality.
Unread 12-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #999 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Jesus H. Christ. I agree with blonde, I was just making a dumb joke because he loves arguing the merits of atheism. In the future I promise to form more concise, well-rounded views and get my sources in line before making my dumb jokes.

Unread 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #1000 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Quote:
Jesus H. Christ. I agree with blonde, I was just making a dumb joke because he loves arguing the merits of atheism. In the future I promise to form more concise, well-rounded views and get my sources in line before making my dumb jokes.
Damn, I did not mean to be shitty with my comment, was just kind of using your post as a sort of proxy for the backlash that seems to follow in other places when an atheist makes a post like Blonde's.