Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > News

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Internets: 305662
Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo
Default Invincibility For Sale On Ebay

Inventor broke after Trojan fails to catch fire

Source

Troy Hurtubise really put everything he had into his bulletproof combat suit.

He spent two years and tens of thousands of dollars developing the Trojan, hoping to sell it to the Canadian or American armed forces, or to another friendly government.

Now he's broke.

Last month, he promised the Trojan would give soldiers in the field affordable, lightweight protection from bullets and bombs alike. He had worked all kinds of extras into the body armour: a ventilation system and multiple lights in the helmet, pepper spray that could shoot from the arm, emergency morphine, even a clock with a face that folded down from the front of the girdle.

Building it had been a full-time commitment that bordered on an obsession. He made nine different girdles, six arms, four helmets, four legs and seven boots before he was satisfied.

"It looks like a morgue inside my lab. You don't get it on the first shot."

Four weeks ago, after finishing the creation in his home lab in North Bay, Hurtubise strapped on the armoured exoskeleton, pulled on the helmet and drove down to Hamilton -- his hometown -- to introduce it to the world.

He was excited and bursting with optimism during his interview and photo session with The Spectator.

What he didn't mention at the time was on that same day in Hamilton, he pawned his wedding ring to buy the gas to get back up north.

He drove home feeling certain he would soon find a buyer for his idea. The story found a life of its own on the web, and within days it became the second-most referenced news story anywhere on the Internet, according to Nielsen's web-tracking service.

But the Internet had trouble beating a path to Hurtubise's rented door. He didn't even have an e-mail account. Soon, however, reporters who had seen the item were calling Hurtubise from all over the world, generating other stories in Poland, Britain, the U.S., South Korea and China, as the buzz grew.

"The media barrage was like nothing I'd ever had in my life," he said. "My spirits were so high. I was really excited."

Hurtubise was sure all the attention would turn up a buyer. It didn't.

"Other than the media, I haven't received one call from anybody. It broke my heart. Honest to God."

The hardest part for Hurtubise is trying to understand how an idea that seemed so good just couldn't get off the ground.

"It's not some foolish fridge-magnet type of thing. The need is there."

But now, instead of a defence contract, today Troy is holding an eviction notice. He and his wife of 16 years, Lori, and their son, Brett, 14, will have to be out by the end of the month.

And now the Trojan prototype is for sale on eBay.

Once, Hurtubise hoped the suit would help protect soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq. Today, he is hoping it will bring in enough to pay the overdue bills and buy a few groceries.

The inventor has been down this road before. His first major creation -- a grizzly suit meant to protect against bear attacks -- generated tremendous attention, too. He was in the papers and on TV. In 1996, the National Film Board made a documentary that became a favourite of Quentin Tarantino's, and later ended up being parodied on The Simpsons. Today, strangers on the street still recognize Hurtubise as the "Bear Man."

Ultimately, the effort to build and promote the bear suit drove him into personal bankruptcy. He sold the bear suit on eBay in 2004. He got $3,500 -- less than what it had cost him to build the left hand alone.

The successful American bidder drove up to North Bay and loaded the suit into his car. That was the last Hurtubise ever heard of it.

Then, two years ago, he got an idea for a better suit -- the Trojan. But before taking on another risk, he sat down with his wife and son to talk about gambling everything on the new dream.

"This could break us," he warned them back then. "I can do this, but the problem is, it's going to cost us everything we've got, and then some."

They were right behind him, and they still are. Before he left North Bay to unveil the suit last month, he talked to Lori about pawning his wedding ring.

"My wife was almost in tears," he said.

Reluctantly, she gave him her blessing.

The on-line auction for the Trojan expires next Thursday, the day after Valentine's Day. Hurtubise is hoping to get $15,000. It opened at $1,000, but as of yesterday, there hadn't been a single bid.

Hurtubise is trying to hold on to his optimism, but it's not easy.

"Will I even get a bid on eBay?" he wondered. "If it wasn't so depressing, it would be funny."

After everything, he still hopes to go back to inventing. For now, though, he's going to have to get a regular job.

"The Bear Man working at Tim Hortons. Can you imagine that?"

The Ebay Auction

Please somebody buy it.
Orgazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
I like dirt.

Internets: 2790
tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to tonguegina Send a message via AIM to tonguegina Send a message via MSN to tonguegina Send a message via Yahoo to tonguegina

He'd make a good Mortal Kombat character.

The article says, "Hurtubise is hoping to get $15,000." The current price is $30,211 and the reserve still isn't met...that greedy bastard.
tonguegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
*Dislikes ham

Internets: 60790
vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute

If I buy it can I rob a bank?

Putting the sensual in non-consensual.
vaga1220 is offline   Reply With Quote