Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Important Stuff > Rants

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

...you click on "Today's Active Topics" but it's like 12:15 am, and it tells me "Sorry, no active topics today". Fuck that guy. I'm making this post just so he won't tell me that.

-Ugly Bastard
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Location: that one place...you know, with the fire and damnation? oh yeh, hell.
Internets: 10
the Butcher is on a distinguished road
I agree. I hate that so much, because I'm always on at 1 am and nothing is new yet. Orgazmo, you're all about fixing Nubblies to make it the greatest haven for immorality around, try to do this: make the "Today's Active Topics" page show posts from the most recent minutes, not days. It could continue to update itself each hour to only show the newest 24 hours of material. Get what I'm saying? I'll try to explain better.

[current "TAT"] - refreshes at 12:00 am each new day. shows topics from new date only.

[improved "TAT"] - refreshes every new post [according to time] and only shows links for past 24 hours that occured and are currently happening. if someone posted at 1:37 am on day 2 it would show everything from 1:37 am [day 1] to 1:37 am [day 2]. if a topic hadn't been posted on since 1:35 am [day 1] then it would disappear. however, the most recent posted on thread would be at the absolute top.

It was confusing for me to explain it, but I hope you understand what I'm talking about. I think it would significantly increase thread life and thread quality. Now...GET TO IT ORGAZMO!

meet me at the corner of 5th and pontiac. and make sure that no one else is with you, if you wish to see them alive again.
the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Internets: 303404
Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo
I understand exactly what you mean, good sir. No clue how I'd do that...but I'll look into it. Tomorrow.
Orgazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
Great suggestion, Butcher. I especially hate it when I've been gone alllll day then get home at like 12:01 and have to dig through everything to see what was said.

[ February 16, 2005, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Blonde ]

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
I like dirt.

Internets: 2790
tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to tonguegina Send a message via AIM to tonguegina Send a message via MSN to tonguegina Send a message via Yahoo to tonguegina
Some forums have a "Active Threads Since Your Last Visit" type deal. Now, that's the best way to go.
tonguegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by tonguegina:
Some forums have a "Active Threads Since Your Last Visit" type deal. Now, that's the best way to go.
That's a terrible way to go. I often post in threads that I knew had been posted in since my last visit, but I just didn't get around to it at the time. The 24 hour idea the butcher has is made of solid gold. That way you can dig back a little deeper than the posts since your last visit, just in case.

-Ugly Bastard
Old 02-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Spice Master

Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
I know this would probably take a shit-ton of programming, which i know nothing about, but what if there was a way that we could use tongue's idea but it keeps the threads you didnt click on new...like lets say ...

3 posts since your last visit

and you check the first two, "Homosexuals" and "Internet games", but not the last one, "Canine Sperm".

Later, because you checked the homo and game threads, but not the canine sperm, the canine would still be on there, along with new ones added since your last visit.

However, this might cause a problem in threads that you just don't want to read. I, for example, hardly ever go into the sports forum, unless there is something posted about the sports I really care about, which is about 2. So with that idea the posts might build up over time.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Old 02-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 125182
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs
A quick fix might be setting the new "day" to start at 530-6 AM, as this is how most of us operate.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache
I actually don't think there's any programming involved with manipulating the control panel. There's definitely not on my site, but you can do more cool shit on this one so I don't know.

Hey gaz, where in your control panel can you make new tags?

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Beebs:
A quick fix might be setting the new "day" to start at 530-6 AM, as this is how most of us operate.
Genius

-Ugly Bastard
Old 02-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
That's going to fuck me all up.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
I like dirt.

Internets: 2790
tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to tonguegina Send a message via AIM to tonguegina Send a message via MSN to tonguegina Send a message via Yahoo to tonguegina
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Blonde:
Later, because you checked the homo and game threads, but not the canine sperm, the canine would still be on there, along with new ones added since your last visit.
This is simply not true. It doesn't keep track of which threads you've visited, just the last time you were online. If the last time that I was online was 11:00 this morning, then it would only list threads that had been posted in since 11:00.
tonguegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Spice Master

I know that's not how it works now, i'm saying thats how we should make it work.

― Terence McKenna
Old 02-16-2005, 07:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo
Quote:
I think that's a great idea...and probably really easy to implement.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironic Mustache:
I actually don't think there's any programming involved with manipulating the control panel. There's definitely not on my site, but you can do more cool shit on this one so I don't know.

Hey gaz, where in your control panel can you make new tags?
You have the same board that I do...just a newer version. Anything I can do in my control panel, you can do too...plus some extra stuff. Most of the stuff I change can't be done in the control panel though...like tags and the like.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Oh where do you change that stuff at?

Old 02-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

You have to fuck with the actual files...

Tag fucking can be done within the ubb_lib.cgi file inside your /cgi-bin/ubb directory (to add), and then inside the ubb_lib_posting.cgi file in the same directory (for fucking with making it pretty).
Old 02-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Jesus, I'm not sure I even want to deal with that.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Yeah...it's a huge pain in the ass.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
DJ FC

For Shameful Transgressions
Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

So is it a huge pain the ass to set the time back to 6:00 am for new topics?

-Ugly Bastard
Old 02-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Yeah, it turns out it is. That doesn't mean I've given up.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:45 AM   #22 (permalink)

Location: that one place...you know, with the fire and damnation? oh yeh, hell.
Internets: 10
the Butcher is on a distinguished road
Can't you just change the timezone of the entire board? I mean, yeh all of our posts would say fucked up times that weren't actually right, but setting the board 6 hours later would mean that midnight for us would show up as only 6 pm on the board. Then, when it's midnight on the board it would change the "Active Topics of Today" while we're all asleep at 6 am.

meet me at the corner of 5th and pontiac. and make sure that no one else is with you, if you wish to see them alive again.
the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Quote:
Originally posted by the Butcher:
Can't you just change the timezone of the entire board? I mean, yeh all of our posts would say fucked up times that weren't actually right, but setting the board 6 hours later would mean that midnight for us would show up as only 6 pm on the board. Then, when it's midnight on the board it would change the "Active Topics of Today" while we're all asleep at 6 am.
Yes...but that would be really annoying. Not sure it's worth that. I'll look deeper into fixing it the kinda right way later. Honest.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:10 AM   #24 (permalink)

Fuck. Shit. Fuck. Oh Fuck.

Fuck.

-Ugly Bastard

[ February 21, 2005, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Ugly Bastard ]
Old 02-21-2005, 03:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Level 20 Holothetan

Internets: 210144
ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute

I know. What is with that? I mean.. honestly.. who does that?

Fake cover-up edit: Poo.

[ February 21, 2005, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: ninjaface ]
ninjaface is offline   Reply With Quote