Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Important Stuff > Rants

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 106883
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs
Default Who can drive a manual transmission car?

Had a conversation about this today.

Who here could go out right now and drive a stick perfectly?
Who would be rusty but could do it?
Who could get the car moving?
Who thinks they could learn?
Who is hopeless?

Last edited by Beebs; 09-10-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Internets: 100494
Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute

lol
A question for those that drive a manual, do you think you could drive with the stick to the left of you?
Edit : pls no "no the door would be there" answers
and I hope the original question doesn't mean powered by this guy

Last edited by Dent; 09-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Internets: 244885
Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a stick every day.

I would think most people could at least get the car moving even if they stall it every time they stop.

Surely everyone could learn.
Johnny Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gangnam Style

Internets: 205905
f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute

For Shameful Transgressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
**COUGH**
f3lix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I would think most people could at least get the car moving even if they stall it every time they stop.

Surely everyone could learn.
Just wait; try and have somebody drive your car. It's a bitch when you're fucked up, because nobody can use your car to like give you a ride.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

Internets: 194538
angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Manual transmission is no problem, even when completely fucked up.

Quote:
I will rape your soul in hell forever.
angry pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Who double clutches / rev matches? Could you drive without synchros?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute

Driving w/o synchros/double clutching seems really tricky, and I think it would take some getting used to. I'm not sure if I could pull it off from the start without practice.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poor Sport

If you can do it in a normal car, you get it pretty quick without synchros. Basically if can you do heel/toe shifting?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I guess that's how it would have to be. You'd have to have one clutch to disengage the tranny from the engine and another to disengage the collar from the gear. But I think you'd have to re-engage everything in the opposite, so you'd put the collar on the gear and then engage the engine to the tranny. The process would have to be heel-toe-heel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dent
A question for those that drive a manual, do you think you could drive with the stick to the left of you?
I don't think having the stick on the left would be too bad, but being on the right side of the car and left side of the road would be the real bitch.

If you switched the clutch position to the right, that would be very difficult to get used to.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Double clutching is not a big deal. Used to have to do it on the trucks in the army and a couple of older AMC cars. But that was back when those vehicles had only 3 gears and you'd stay in first for a little while. There's really no reason to double clutch anymore. Except, I think every one puts it in neutral while coasting short distances now and then.

Quote:
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Heel/toe is just hitting all 3 at once.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pancake View Post
Double clutching is not a big deal. Used to have to do it on the trucks in the army and a couple of older AMC cars. But that was back when those vehicles had only 3 gears and you'd stay in first for a little while. There's really no reason to double clutch anymore. Except, I think every one puts it in neutral while coasting short distances now and then.
You're old and from Texas, you're going to be shocked how many people can't even understand what you just wrote, let alone do it.
'
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Quote:
You don't need to double clutch anymore, but it's much smoother and quicker to do it on downshifts.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 275079
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had a stick right now but they were all fairly more expensive for my price range.

The next truck I get will be both a 4x4 and a stick shift. Especially though on the 4x4, good god. Never really realize how important that is until you have a truck without it. A few days ago I got stuck in a 12" drop off and could barely get out with my little desert whelp.
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 248333
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

Yes I can drive a "Manuel" transmission car. Even if the stick is to the left of you (which is actually better for driving as your right hand never leaves the wheel). I can also shift the gears on a motorcycle, which is way more fun.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.

Last edited by DJ FC; 09-11-2012 at 12:05 AM.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Spice Master

Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ FC View Post
(which is actually better for driving as your right hand never leaves the wheel). I can also shift the gears on a motorcycle, which is way more fun.
Assuming the driver is right-handed, that is...speaking of, I thought you were left handed?

Seconded that if you can shift a motorcycle it's much easier to drive stick.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
Assuming the driver is right-handed, that is...speaking of, I thought you were left handed?

Seconded that if you can shift a motorcycle it's much easier to drive stick.
I'm not sure I get the motorcycle reference. That sequential gear system is almost idiot proof and gear grinding seems really forgivable on a bike.

I'd guess the more difficult double clutch/rev shifting for AP occurred with double clutching and column shifting. Column shifting seemed so fucking non-intuitive compared to a floor shifter. But, I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

I'll confess that AP isn't much at using the toe-heel method in down shifting. I really never found a need to do that except for engine braking scenarios in the piece of shit army truck that had air brakes.

Quote:
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 248333
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

I'm saying a Motorcycle is more fun cus you can rev the fuck out of it and get all nasty on the transmission.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

This should have been a poll. UB can drive a stick.
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
I'm not sure I get the motorcycle reference. That sequential gear system is almost idiot proof and gear grinding seems really forgivable on a bike.

I'd guess the more difficult double clutch/rev shifting for AP occurred with double clutching and column shifting. Column shifting seemed so fucking non-intuitive compared to a floor shifter. But, I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

I'll confess that AP isn't much at using the toe-heel method in down shifting. I really never found a need to do that except for engine braking scenarios in the piece of shit army truck that had air brakes.
This is just my personal experience, but for me I guess it comes down to how you "think" about how stick-shifting works. The flow between brain, foot, and hand coordination and how it works in your head. I could drive plenty of stick shift tractors and farm equipment just fine, but struggled a lot with driving a stick-shift car well until I got a motorcycle.

I had no clue how to drive a motorcycle before I bought it, and spent the next week learning a lot. After learning how to shift properly with a bike (and as you said, as downshifting and gear-grinding is almost guaranteed for people who ride). So it just made the concept of "clutch-shift-release-accelerate" a lot easier for me to process mentally after riding a motorcycle for a couple years.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
Spice Master

Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Bike transmissions are sequential, they don't work like a car transmission.

It does help to understand that your matching two spinning gears in speed via a clutch, but with a bike you need to clutch way less than a car. Good that it helps you, but theyre pretty different things.

I will occasionally fuck around and only use the clutch from a dead stop and do clutchless shifts, but 4 to 5 is tricky.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
Had a conversation about this today.

Who here could go out right now and drive a stick perfectly?
Who would be rusty but could do it?
Who could get the car moving?
Who thinks they could learn?
Who is hopeless?
If you've ever owned a car with a manual transmission this question is ridiculous. My cars have all been automatic for the last 10 years and it's made no difference any time I've gotten into a manual since. You feather the gas a little while you get used to the clutch and within 2-3 times you have it down. It's a skill any 8 year old could master.

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 282469
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork

Who can piss the farthest?

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote