Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Crazy Stuff > Shit Talking Central

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #76 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 247091
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
For Shameful Transgressions
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

I hate being the smartest conservative I know. Am I really that thick? Why is it so obvious to me yet so many of my peers ardently disagree? The only people I have on my side are those greatly beyond my rank - and they are probably merely self-centered assholes.

I love what Ronald Reagan stood for - but everybody else seems to "get it." and disagree.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #77 (permalink)
Gangnam Style

Internets: 213510
f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute

What do you believe he stood for?
f3lix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #78 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

Internets: 194538
angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute

First, I'm not sure what you mean by conservative. You may be surprised that you probably don't meet a lot of "conservatives" definition of conservative. Regan is the first president that I was old enough to fully understand when he was running against Carter. It's hard for some of alive then to forget the hostage situation in Iran. That was 9-11 before 9-11 to a country and Regan was hailed as a hero. Regan promised to go kick mid east ass, take names, and free hostages on day one of taking office. The fucker traded arms for hostages--illegally. Then funded the contras --illegally. A lot of people should have gone to jail for that. Regan also spent tons on stupid projects like Star Wars and the super collider. Regan fucked up on a regular basis. But it's Regan's policy this or that getting romanticized these days. Regan was good at giving sound bites and feel good parables. A lot of people liked that following Vietnam, watergate, and Carter. But I'm honestly puzzled why those who want to put him on mount rushmoor, probably wouldn't vote for him today.

Anyway, in my case, I think a lot of regan worship is revisionist. A lot of fucked up shut happened because of him. But these aren't talked about today. His policies are. Not his acts. I seriously doubt regan could win the republican nomination today. Somebody would dig up one of his pro union or pro labor speeches on YouTube. Doesnt hate his gay kid enough, doesn't love guns enough, his calling Nancy "mommy" jibberish, etc.

I remember Regan, specially the second term when he was showing altzheimers/dementia. I didn't read about him or learn from other sources. That's why I say he wasn't that great. But, next to Carter and W., he looks fantastic to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I will rape your soul in hell forever.
angry pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #79 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ FC View Post
I hate being the smartest conservative I know. Am I really that thick? Why is it so obvious to me yet so many of my peers ardently disagree? The only people I have on my side are those greatly beyond my rank - and they are probably merely self-centered assholes.

I love what Ronald Reagan stood for - but everybody else seems to "get it." and disagree.
It's more that you are libertarian more than straight conservative, I think anyway.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #80 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pancake View Post
The fucker traded arms for hostages--illegally. Then funded the contras --illegally. A lot of people should have gone to jail for that.
I always see this as not a big deal; or even a good decision, maybe just because I wasn't self aware at the time.

The arms were to help ignite the Iraq-Iran war, a neutral for us at worse. The money to the Contras was to the better of 2 unsavory groups. If anything it showed that the strong anti-drug bullshit is just a very strong front put on by those in favor of it.
Unread 07-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #81 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Quote:
Regan sucked and all of you are too young to remember.
Maybe you are too old; you were in your angsty pancake years perhaps.
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #82 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

Internets: 194538
angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
I always see this as not a big deal; or even a good decision, maybe just because I wasn't self aware at the time.

The arms were to help ignite the Iraq-Iran war, a neutral for us at worse. The money to the Contras was to the better of 2 unsavory groups. If anything it showed that the strong anti-drug bullshit is just a very strong front put on by those in favor of it.
Illegal as fuck and covered up. The hostage release was sold as Iran and soviet union fearing military action by the US. I watched it on TV when it happened.

For the record I would have voted for Regan twice. The alternatives were Carter and the Mondale. I didn't sour on Regan until much later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I will rape your soul in hell forever.
angry pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #83 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Quote:
Illegal as fuck and covered up. The hostage release was sold as Iran and soviet union fearing military action by the US. I watched it on TV when it happened.

For the record I would have voted for Regan twice. The alternatives were Carter and the Mondale. I didn't sour on Regan until much later.
I'm not arguing legality; I'm arguing actual right and wrong, and personally I don't see how it was so wrong.

I don't care that it was against an embargo; a trade of weapons for lives is justifiable at the very least.

I also have no problem with funding the Contras, they were certainly the lesser of the two evils compared to the Sandinistas.
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #84 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

"The worst thing Ronald Reagan did was to make the denial of compassion respectable."

Great quote from a great documentary:

(It's four 1-hour parts if you want to give it a try. Whole thing is worth watching but I'd say if you can't muster it then watch the last hour as that part covers the most modern history of the phenomenon discussed).

"People no longer saw themselves as part of a group, but instead as individuals who could demand things from their government in exchange for paying taxes."

Last edited by Ugly Bastard; 07-30-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #85 (permalink)
MURICAN

DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in the Individual.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
Unread 07-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #86 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of us have picked up on that.
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #87 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Regan also spent tons on stupid projects like...the super collider.
Easy cowboy.
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #88 (permalink)
Ahoy Fuckbag

Internets: 187030
DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem with the super-collider is that it wasn't super enough.

Quote:
You often seem to think that the lowest-hanging-fruit makes you some sort of comedy genius. You're just not a good person. You're spiteful, constantly negative, and bring others down to make yourself feel better. I just don't have room for that.
DDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #89 (permalink)
Spice Master

Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Cantor refuses to admit Reagan raised taxes | The Raw Story
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #90 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #91 (permalink)
MURICAN

Oh Jesus Christ how many times do we have to re-hash that the tax burden on the economy was lower after Reagan than before. This article pisses me off because it's being all douchy in it's accusations when not only is the topic debatable, I would say they're simply wrong - mathematically.

Last edited by DJ FC; 01-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #92 (permalink)
Almost there...

Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

The point, is that while Reagan did lower taxes overall, there were instances of him raising taxes in the spirit of compromise when necessary.

Coincidentally, Reagan added a huge amount to the deficit by the time he left office precisely because he cut taxes and increased spending. This is called deficit spending, and it's something the Republicans are loathe to admit.
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #93 (permalink)

Internets: 281660
Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute

You do realize that a president cannot raise taxes, right? That is the responsibility of congress. The president can sign or veto the bill, but that is the limit to his power. Reagan did agree to raise taxes in the spirit of compromise with the democrat congress. It is my understanding that there was an agreement between Reagan and the speaker of the house that for every additional dollar of government revenue, spending would be cut by twice as much. Unfortunately the speaker never intended to follow through on this compromise and spending actually increased.

We've beaten this horse to death many, many times.
Johnny Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #94 (permalink)
Almost there...

I think the problem is that Republicans today have sort of deified Reagan to the point that not even Reagan can live up to the mythology they've created. If you look at some of the things he did, you realize he wouldn't meet the "purity" requirements the GOP has right now.

It can be misleading without proper context, though.

Last edited by Repugnant Abomination; 01-02-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #95 (permalink)
MURICAN

The point is that this article, in a very douchy way, accuses a man of not believing something which isn't true. Or is only true if you strip away all context.

Unread 01-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #96 (permalink)
Spice Master

I propose we have laws against douchery.
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #97 (permalink)

Internets: 281660
Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute

If we did then you'd be in jail! haha
Johnny Richter is offline   Reply With Quote