Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Important Stuff > Sports

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
I make bad decisions.

Internets: 108015
SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SittinOnDubsWGW
Default make me a badass

Alright. I know that some of you guys are very serious about working out and shit and that basically I have a little over 2 years to make my goal... to become a badass. I really do not know anything serious about working out, I just do whatever to pass the time here.

I'm at the Border Patrol Academy and am passing everything and am thinking about joining BORTAC after I graduate (the BP equivolent of SWAT, or whatever... 4 weeks of sleep deprivation and running a lot '7+ miles' and being a hardass) once my probationary period is up (2 years) my goal is to be solid.

As of right now, I'm basically 6'1 and around 190 lbs. I run 1.5 miles at a little under 12 minutes (hoping to get in the high 10's or low 11's or so in time.)

I know that I could use a little variation and am getting bored with my regular routine.

As of right now here is my workout (besides the daily PT which consists of a 3-5 mile run and pushups, situps, other calisthenics, etc). I normally lift about 3 times a week right now.

chest and tris
3x10 flat dumbell bench
3x10 incline
3x10 tricep extension
100 push-ups =4x25
dips 3x10

Back and bis
pull-ups 3x8
lat pull-downs 3x10
bent over rows 3x10
preacher curls 1x10, 1x8, 1x6
standing curls 3x10
row machine 3x10
hammer curls 3x10

legs: jack shit... i don't really work out my legs which I know is a downfall.

send me some recommendations and I'll give trip reports as I progress.

Last edited by SittinOnDubsWGW; 08-18-2007 at 02:11 AM.
SittinOnDubsWGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Vary your shit up. Next time, before you lift, go here and get some ideas for new exercises to keep your muscles off guard.
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

First off, as much as I like lifting more than running, the physical tests for these things always seem to be much more based on running, so definitely keep that up. Also, add in sprints and hills, some sort of interval training, not all the running tests will be long distance, I assume.

Throw away the bodybuilding routine, stop thinking in terms of bodyparts and start thinking in terms of movements, you want to be strong and functional, not just big. Plus, its more fun to throw big weight around than do isolation exercises, it just is. For most of your exercises, drop the number of reps and raise the weight.

This routine is set up with the assumption that you aren't going to do any leg and back work, which I reccomend you do, but it's your call.

Day 1.
-Bench, warm up, then get a weight you can get about 4 times, and try and get 3 sets of 3 reps.

-Bench variation - do something like closegrip bench, or lockouts in the powerrack (where you put pins about halfway down and bench off of them, start from a dead stop each time) or board presses, where you bench off of a some wooden boards, same effect as the lockouts, or floor presses, where you bench on the floor, with the floor stopping your elbows short, same effect again. Again, try for something like 3x3.

-Power push presses- basically a standing military press where you use your legs to "cheat" a little, or you can just do standing military press(go in front of your head either way) with this go for more reps, around 5-7 for 3 sets.

-Dips and pushups- do whatever you feel like, you should be pretty shot by now anyway, one thing I would reccomend though is that instead of always doing such a high number of dips all the time, add some weight, either with a belt that holds weight or holding a dumbbell between your feet every other week.

Day 2
-Pull ups - one week work for as many reps as you can, 2-3 times then the next week add weight, same as with dips, then go back to no weight, etc.

-Bent over rows- 5 sets of 5 or so, maybe mix up using a barbell and dumbells each week.

-Cable rows- 3 sets of 5-8 depending on the week and how you feel.

Theres really a ton of good pulling type motions, so mix them in when you get bored, I really like the ones above, but theres also:

-dumbell rows- the kind where you kind of kneel on a bench with one knee and face the floor, then switch sides, works the grip pretty well too.

-Curls- Whatever you want, your bi's will be pretty worked by now anyway, so keep the volume low, I like hammer curls the best, but straight bar and ez-curl bar curls work too.

Day 3 - you could do this all outside if youve got the right equipment, if not you can still do alot of it outside.

Power Cleans - work sets of three, keep upping the weight once you get the form down.

Shrugs - throw something fucking heavy up and just go until your hands are about to drop it, mix up barbell and dumbell, and sometimes instead of doing alot of reps, do only a few but for alot of sets, or hold the weight at the top of the shrug. NO STRAPS OR GLOVES, its out of the question, don't consider it. Use some chalk if you can.

-Plyometrics- find a box, jump onto it. Jump off of it then onto it as quickly as possible. Set up a few boxes in a row, jump onto, over, and off of them in as many combinations as you can think of. If you can't find plyo boxes, use stairs. Speed is the key, everything fast and explosive. Actually that goes for almost everylift, keep control, but move everything as explosively as you can.

-weight toss- Find some old dumbells or kettlebells or fucking rocks if you want, so long as its pretty heavy and you don't really mind if it breaks.
Powerclean the object or swing it between your legs, and see how high you can throw the fucker in the air (with a pulling motion) then get out of the way and hope you didn't break anything.

-tire flip- Find a big heavy tire, flip the fucker as many times as you can, then flip it back.

-Other training-

They will probably have some rudimentary hand to hand combat and suspect control stuff for you to do once you get there, your best bet to get ready for it if it is anygood would be training some Judo, you'll learn to control people without hurting them unless you want to, and how to handle a bigger guy.

Oh, and get some practice in at a gunrange, I assume marksmenship, or at least gun safetey and whatnot is part of it, plus shooting shit is fun.

One way to cover basically all of this without paying attention to anything in the aforementioned program

-Get ahold of either your local high school or college wrestling team and politely ask if they will let you work out with them, you'll be ready for pretty much anything they throw at you after this.

Last edited by Beebs; 08-19-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

The Bill Starr 5x5 program is the most succesful program I've ever done. I highly recommend it.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
English.

Internets: 179
Heaven Can Wait has a spectacular aura about Heaven Can Wait has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Heaven Can Wait

Dips the same day that you bench? no point doing two compounds on your chest/tri's.

DEAD FUCKING LIFT
i cannot believe this has not been mentioned yet.

stick with the three day split with the back/bi's and chest tri's

When you bench do the normal warmup then move to maybe a 555, vary the weight and reps a lot, aim for a single every 4 months or so.
if you go for a 333 or something, take as much time as you want over it. nothing wrong with spending a while over your main exercise, then move to some widegrip benching if you want more chest, do 2-3 sets of 15+ reps.

Do some tricep pushdowns after this, just to finish of the tri's

on the back/bi's day, you should probably either squat or deadlift as the big compound, follow this with some bent over rows (assume a gorilla stance with the bar and pull to below the chest)
few pull ups and then get the curls out.

On legs day you should squat, making sure you go low, then add a few extensions and curls.

I kinda disagree with the throwing away of the bodybuilding routine beebs, weightlifting is the fastest way to gain muscle, and powerlifting is a great way to be strong and functional.

Cliffs : Deadlift and squat for overall power, throw some dumbbells around for showing off.

there is little I wouldn't do for a dolphin.
Heaven Can Wait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven Can Wait View Post
I kinda disagree with the throwing away of the bodybuilding routine beebs, weightlifting is the fastest way to gain muscle, and powerlifting is a great way to be strong and functional.

Cliffs : Deadlift and squat for overall power, throw some dumbbells around for showing off.
Yes, weightlifting and powerlifting are what i reccomended, along with some strongman and throwing training, bodybuilding is not, surely you of all people don't need me to point out that bodybuilding is not the same as weightlifting or powerlifting?
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
English.

Internets: 179
Heaven Can Wait has a spectacular aura about Heaven Can Wait has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Heaven Can Wait

Yeah sorry, was 4am and i'd drank a little, you might be able to tell from the post.
powerlifting is the way to go.

there is little I wouldn't do for a dolphin.
Heaven Can Wait is offline   Reply With Quote