Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Spice Master
 
Mr. Blonde's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
Default Death

Death is something that has really interested me lately. While, of all the things to be interested in, this seems like a "no shit" and cliche topic, I think that certain experiences I've had this year have really opened up the gates of understanding what death really is.

Death is actually horrifying, and existence as we know it makes little to no sense objectively -- as objective as we can be to look at quite literally everything we know about existence.

While everybody "knows" that we're going to die, it is something that I feel many people do not spend a significant amount of time thinking about -- for obvious reasons. And for those that are afraid of it, there are various coping mechanisms, which I'm sure I don't have to go into here, that people use to deal with it.

I recently stumbled upon these open Yale lectures by a philosophy professor named Shelly Kagan. I'm only getting the chance to listen to the first one now. I'll probably do updates as I go along -- there's 26 of them, so it's basically a semester's worth of lectures.

Feel free to chime in your feelings and how you cope with death. Preferably not just "I just try to enjoy life as much as i can, because I could die any day." While nice, it's a bit idealistic and it's rare that people who say this actually do it in practice. I want some fears, some concerns, some absurdity.


Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Death Row Inmate Is Fucking Nuts (even more than you'd imagine) Orgazmo News 13 01-12-2009 09:57 AM
End of Death Penalty For Minors Beebs News 16 03-03-2005 11:18 PM
Illinois Governor Pardons Death Row Ugly Bastard News 34 01-14-2003 12:45 AM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright © 2002-∞ - Nubblies.net