Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?

Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Confessional/Advice Line (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18602)

Mr. Blonde 09-20-2012 08:32 PM

TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA

Tipping. I generally don't mind it, at restaurants for example. Or throw a bartender a buck for a drink. But sometimes it bothers me. I mean, restaurants are the only time I really feel like being generous with tips. Especially morning waitresses.

But is a dollar really an appropriate tip for a 4-5 dollar drink at a bar?

Something I've seen lately with using a credit card to buy small things -- particularly , coffees. Why is there a fucking tip thing there? Is it expected? My coffee cost me 2 dollars. I don't get any of that fancy shit. Should I be expected to tip .20? Does the barista expect a dollar? Anything at all?

tl;dr - expectations of tipping on small items where little work is done.

Obligatory:

THEINCREDIBLEdork 09-20-2012 09:04 PM

This thread is racist.

thekremlin 09-21-2012 12:58 AM

On one hand, the idea of tipping is "You've done an extra nice job, here is some extra money," and from that perspective you shouldn't feel obligated to tip a completely ordinary waiter.

The problem is that waiters are paid less than min. wage / less than they should be paid with the expectation that they will get tips. In the States, to tip less than 15% is kind of a dick move for this reason.

Ugly Bastard 09-21-2012 08:47 AM

I had this conversation with my father the other day. Having a standard tip percentage that is universally followed is stupid. I tip large percentages of my bill at shitty, cheap restaurants and gradually decrease that percentage as the cost of the menu items increases.

DJ FC 09-21-2012 09:07 AM

I feel insulted at clubs when they bring the bill at the end of the night and the dumb bitch who brought me a bottle of vodka is somehow making several hundred quid out of the deal. Ridiculous.

thekremlin 09-21-2012 09:21 AM

You're not paying her for the vodka. You're paying her to be sexy.

Saint DH 09-21-2012 09:41 AM

I think the lesson here is don't be a faggot who hangs out at clubs drinking vodka, lol.

Mr. Blonde 09-21-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry (Post 430970)
I think the lesson here is don't be a faggot who hangs out at clubs drinking vodka, lol.

QFT, huge waste of time and money. Also (and this is just my experience from working the clubs), fairly douchey. I only bought a bottle at a club once, in my entire life, with former Nubblies member Sinisterkid a few years back, and while the girl I was going for ended up being a looney, the girl Sinisterkid was going for is to this day one of my best friends. So it wasn't all bad.

Back on topic -- small items at coffeeshop, using my card for a 2 dollar coffee. That doesn't deserve a tip right? BC I always see dollars in the tip jar, a fair amount, but i'm not sure if they just put them in there as a psychological guilt tactic or what.

Ugly Bastard 09-21-2012 10:53 AM

I like tipping in situations like that or any situation where giving a measly few cents or $1 is actually appreciated as having been a nice thing to do.

thekremlin 09-21-2012 11:13 AM

Nobody tips in asia. So when you do, they act like you're a saint. Also, a dollar goes a long way, so for a quarter, you can just make someone's week. Just a really nice way to put a smile on a hooker's face.

DJ FC 09-21-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry (Post 430970)

Sounds like the Indiana hill-billy is jealous of my twice-a-year night club excursions. You should have seen what it was like, DH, when I first moved to London. Your hayseed brain would have exploded.

Saint DH 09-21-2012 06:37 PM

You're right, my head would explode. Because if I ever find myself having moved to London in my life, I will shoot myself in the fucking head.

Is that really what your delusional mind has conjured up? That I'm jealous of you?

Although I'm sure the thought helps you maintain a rock-hard erection while pounding some dude's asshole in the London nightclubs, but not everyone is jealous of you. No one, certainly not me, wants to be you or be like you. Honestly, you sound like the child who was picked on now grown up and is a condescending prick to everyone because, in your mind, "I'm somebody important now".

I will rape your soul in hell forever.

Saint DH 09-21-2012 06:47 PM

Honestly, FC, I want to hate you so bad, but I just can't. Even my retort to your insults felt forced.

We've been through so much together that you'll always hold a special place in my heart, no matter how many times you lash out at me.

THEINCREDIBLEdork 09-21-2012 08:25 PM

I've been wanting to clean up nubblies for a while. Too many hayseeds and riff-raff. This thread is a perfect example of the working class types that frequent this board and litter it with their mundane musings.

I actually love those situations when it's not clearly defined whether you're socially obligated to tip or not. I look forward to them. I probably even end up tipping better than in situations where it's obvious you're supposed to, like to your waiter at a restaurant.

For instance, just the other day, I was at Walgreens because I needed to pick up some cat food on my way home from work. The brands there were all generic gross kinds made of who knows what and I couldn't find the kind Joffrey likes.

An employee saw me looking around and asked if I needed assistance. I told her I would like to see the manager. The manager came and I asked politely why the fuck they were out of Fancy Feast. He says "why sir that can't be let me take a look." He kneels down to the bottom shelf, and sure enough, he pulls out some Seabass & Shrimp Appetizer in a Delicate Broth and a Flaked Trout Feast.

"Very good, Joffrey will be so pleased!" I take a wad of cash out of my backup cash pocket and lay a 20 in his hand and tell him I'll take both up front at the cash register. He says "Sir thats really not necessary." Hands me back the bill and lifts my food up. Before he turns to head up to the register I tell him "no, no, I insist." He can't refuse at this point because his hands are full with two crates of Fancy Feast. I slip two Jacksons in his front pocket and pinch his cheek and tell him, "Son this is America, and good work gets rewarded."

I felt great about what I had done and it made my day. As little as $40 to someone like that is a lot of money. I just hope he didn't spend it all on alcohol or drugs.

angry pancake 09-21-2012 08:30 PM

I don't like tipping as a concept. But I do live in the real world and play along. I'd rather restaurants pay their employees a decent living wage, and if that means passing the cost along, I'm fine with that. The idea of making service discretionary upon a patron's whim is just so fucking distasteful when the service can't be declined. Pay fucking service workers a living wage already.

Tipping in other areas has just gotten out of hand. If it's for something that I'm paying for anyway, I want a reason to tip. Like Blonde mentioned, the counter person at starbucks is supposed to give me the cup of coffee I paid for. Now if the person, stops down and makes a new pot of something that I like that they're typically not serving and gives me the in-house nice mug, there's a good reason. I do tip generously when my "barista" provides a good rim job while "serving the coffee."

Mr. Blonde 09-21-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry pancake (Post 431032)
I don't like tipping as a concept. But I do live in the real world and play along. I'd rather restaurants pay their employees a decent living wage, and if that means passing the cost along, I'm fine with that. The idea of making service discretionary upon a patron's whim is just so fucking distasteful when the service can't be declined. Pay fucking service workers a living wage already.

Agreed, when you think about it, restaurants still get to offer discounted meals and drinks (comparatively) and they don't really have to worry about making sure their employees get paid decent wages. Fuck them, not our problem. Only when their daily earnings falls below minimum wage do they compensate, i'm pretty sure.

Saint DH 09-21-2012 08:48 PM

That was a cute story, ID.

Unfortunately I'm going to hijack the thread again.

I used to feed my cat plain old Fancy Feast, but now I get him Fancy Feast Elegant Medley cans. It's a little bit more expensive, but your cat will love you twice as much for feeding it to him/her. It also makes their shits a bit cleaner. I think it's because there are vegetables in the food.

THEINCREDIBLEdork 09-21-2012 08:59 PM

My cat doesn't eat fucking vegetables. She also doesn't eat from a can like a homeless person, and she already shits as accurately and cleanly as a laser guided missile.

She's a surgeon in the litter box.

Saint DH 09-21-2012 09:02 PM

Obviously the cat doesn't eat from the can, but the food comes in a fucking can. Whatever. I know you're going to go out and try it at least once, and after you do, your cat will turn his fucking nose up to that slop you're feeding him now.