When Lank and Brooks were first organizing this team, before it was the Nubblites and when there were like 3 people total on the team, I immediately declined an invitation to be on the team because I am terrible at basketball. It was at that time that Lank told me that the team would be to have fun and winning would not be the driving force.
Fast forward a few weeks and we have 15 minutes left VS the bad junior team. We're down about 10 and we have the momentum. It is at this time that many fans and benches Nubblites call for a Play #2. Upon seeing this, Antram flips out and screams, "DO YOU WANT TO WIN THE GAME!?"
Honestly, what the fuck? We're the Nubblites. Winning is cool and all, but fuck...we're out there to have fun. If it comes down to winning every game or having a good time...I'm going to have a good time. We could have run Play #2, executed it successfully, gotten an assload of momentum AND won the game in the process...but, instead of that, we took it too seriously and lost.
Is it shitty that we lost? Sure...but not half as shitty as not running Play #2 the entire game. I'll take a loss everytime over not running Play #2...
Now, I can see why we would discourage running something like Play #3 when we are in contention for the victory...but Play #2 actually works. Who gives a fuck if it's not standard down and back basketball? It's a fun play and it gets the crowd and the rest of the players into what's going on.
I'm just curious on the rest of your viewpoints on this. To be honest, when Antram went assrape crazy screaming it made me want to lose just to piss him off. It made me stop screaming when we would score as I immediately lost interest. Go ahead and share your thoughts.
|