Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Lucy Fur
none of you will admit to seeing this movie yet?
|
I just saw it today.
Thoughts:
- I hated it for about the first 45 minutes. Or however long they were on Brokeback Mountain. I wasn't into the characters. At that point, to me it was nothing but watching Jake Ghlynhall and Heath Ledger be gay with each other, which weirded me out and made me feel uncomfortable. Leaving the theatre honestly crossed my mind since the movie was dragging on so slow and mostly consisted of two gay guys alone on a mountain together.
- After they left the mountain and the plot started to become more than just "two guys trapped on a mountain fucking each other", I really began to get into the movie. When they got wives and faced problems, their characters began to lure me into the movie and I started to enjoy it some.
- By the time it was over the whole "gay cowboy" thing was the last thing on my mind. I'd expect this to be the case for about anyone. Sure, at first it's weird and lame and uncomfortable, but once you get over it and just watch the movie, it's actually a very damn good story.
- Before seeing this I didn't think it was possible for anyone to give Joaquin Phoenix any competition for Best Actor. Now that I've seen this, I think Heath Ledger can (and maybe even should) win that award rather than Joaquin.
- One area I thought the movie lacked was make-up. The story starts with Heath and Jake at the age of 19, which is relatively believable. By the end, they're supposed to be 39, and I just don't think the creators did a very good job making them look 39. They still had their boyish faces only with some longer sideburns and fake beer-guts. Pretty lame in this area considering what Hollywood is capable of doing.
- In conclusion, I liked it, and I can see why it's going to win a bunch of awards. It wasn't really my kind of movie. It's a lot like last year's winner Million Dollar Baby in the way that it makes you feel as you leave the theatre (sorta sad and heart-empty). I liked MDB much better 'cause that's about a female boxer being trained by Clint Eastwood, whereas this is about two gay cowboys. But for what it was, I found it enjoyable I suppose...