Your first year should be set for you. Some places the first year courses go over two semesters, like civ pro I and II, Contracts I and II, etc. I'm not sure how your place is going to do that. Mine did not and it was the only one that didn't at the time that I knew of. I recall my first year being Fall: Civ. Pro 4 hrs.; Torts 4 hrs.; Contracts 4 hrs; and Legal Practice I 3hrs. Legal Practice I was research and writing. Spring: Constitutional Law 4 hrs; Property 4 hrs; Criminal Law 3 hrs; and legal practice II --ADR shit.
We had a lot of required advanced courses. Professional Responsibility (ethics), Commercial Law (UCC paper and secured transactions), Evidence, Crim Procedure (really crim law/constitutional law part 2), Fed Income Tax, Wills & Trusts, Business Entities (corporations and partnerships), maybe another. Basically if it was on the bar, it was required. Except for Family Law and when I took the bar oil and gas was on it, but was being phased out for tax. So I took fucking tax for no reason. The rest were electives. I have no idea how many, if any, required advanced courses you will have where you are. But in my case, the elective got placed around the required courses. So some electives didn't happen that I'd have liked because of scheduling. I can nearly guarantee that not all of those courses in the catalogue will be offered while you are there. I ended up not taking electives I wanted to take because I needed something like Business Entities to graduate. It wasn't possible to take all of the required courses all in the second year cause it seems there was one section every semester and they were all offered at the same time. Then something like federal jurisdiction was offered once the entire time I was there. Texas Procedure was taught twice. I ended up taking classes I was absolutely not interested in at like, Environmental Law and Jewish Law, because those time slots of MWF at 8:30 and 10:30 had few options and it was lesser of evils. All because a required class my last semester had a weird ass 9:30 time slot and I had to get it.
I checked some of the degree requirements for McGeorge and few seemed bizarre. I get that you don't have too many required courses. That's cool. But jesus christ what's that deal with not being allowed to graduate if you take the bar early? It happens all the time. Suppose you get those 88 hours in five semesters by taking summer classes and higher numbers of credits after year one? Why do you have to go another semester full time in order to fucking graduate because of a residency requirement nobody else in the ABA has? That's fucking stupid. Almost every state will allow you to sit for the bar if you're with a certain number of hours. Mcgeorge won't let you graduate if you do that? Doesn't make any sense, you still have to graduate.
|