Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #126 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 284585
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork

Take heed f3lix, your next love interest may not be as random as it seems.

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #127 (permalink)
Gangnam Style

Internets: 213510
f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute

For Shameful Transgressions

Thanks for reminding me of that post - I got to watch it again. More tears to my eyes.
f3lix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #128 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 250185
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

I'm so bullish farmland I have an 11 inch boner.

I really think this will be my next investment:

Ceres Partners LLC, investing in agricultural farmland and commodities.

They're based in South Bend, IN!

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #129 (permalink)

Internets: 284753
Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's a pretty good idea.

Have you thought about meat-producing farms? As China and Inida become more and more developed, they're going to get sick of eating rice, and they're gonna want some meat.
Saint DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #130 (permalink)
Level 20 Holothetan

Internets: 210144
ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute

Plant Chicago: Farming for the Future

Quote:
Plant Chicago is a nonprofit dedicated to promoting sustainable food production, entrepreneurship, and building reuse through education, research and development. To this end, Plant Chicago is repurposing a 93,500 sq. ft. retired meatpacking facility, The Plant, into a net- zero energy vertical farm. A complex and highly interrelated system, one-third of The Plant will hold aquaponic growing systems and the other two-thirds will incubate sustainable food businesses by offering low rent, low energy costs, and a licensed shared kitchen. The Plant will create 125 jobs in Chicago’s economically distressed Back of the Yards neighborhood – but, remarkably, these jobs will require no fossil fuel use. Instead, The Plant will eventually divert over 10,000 tons of food waste from landfills each year to meet all of its heat and power needs.
I was gonna go take a tour and then possibly volunteer there if I liked it enough.
ninjaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #131 (permalink)
Gangnam Style

f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like another good time to remind everybody - MGM Resorts International: NYSE:MGM quotes & news - Google Finance
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #132 (permalink)
MURICAN

DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute

Are you seriously bragging about a stock that's up about as much as the stock market as a whole?

Edit: Did some research and you're even more of a doosh. MGM is up 1.93% since the 19th of April 2011. The S and p 500 is up 3.31%. Way to go dude, you're bragging about a loser.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #133 (permalink)
Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3lix View Post
MGM up around 30% since the judicial system reversed its decision on online gambling last month and MGM is getting loads of attention since it's already in place with a database of tens of millions of gamblers. It could also explain with Harrahs and MGM were pumping Harry Reid so hard during the election cycle when he mysteriously* beat Sharon Angle in his last senate run.

*Reid looked all but dead in the final weeks, only to win big. RealClearPolitics - Election 2010 - Nevada Senate - Angle vs. Reid
It's now up 50% since the DOJ announcement in December.
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #134 (permalink)
MURICAN

You forget to mention about the part where it dropped like a rock after you bought it leaving you with a return smaller than had you just bought the broader stock market thereby making you a moron for bragging about your purchase. Kthx.

Unread 02-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #135 (permalink)
Gangnam Style

I also didn't mention I have bought and sold it over ten times since last year. When it was bouncing between ~10 and ~11 per share, I was having a great time cashing in 8-12% over and over. I doubled my money doing this and bought at 9.73 and have held since.

I've already mentioned the 10% loss rule to you (regarding ILMN) and am surprised you don't subscribe to one of the smartest rules in investing.
Unread 02-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #136 (permalink)
MURICAN

It's never been more obvious that I am the professional and you are the amateur.

Unread 02-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #137 (permalink)

Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute

10% would probably be a huge loss for a trader to take.

What's your average holding period on the stocks you buy? Probably not very long.
Unread 02-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #138 (permalink)
Don't call me Shirley

Internets: 220249
thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute

FC, maybe you should pay a little less attention to your london money and a little more attention to the 10% rule. n00b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pancake View Post
Waiting until kremlin moves to Phucket in a few years.
thekremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #139 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache

Traders have a larger than life personality.

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #140 (permalink)
Don't call me Shirley

thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute thekremlin has a reputation beyond repute

Literally.

Quote:
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
RIM is going down. I would expect a slow and structured liquidation over the course of the next couple of years. Probably time for all you Blackberry users (if there are any left) to make the choice: Android or Apple.
BlackBerry maker RIM to cede most consumer markets - The Economic Times
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #142 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do for a living again? Nothing? You should probably move to Chicago ASAP.

Unread 03-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #143 (permalink)

I'm actually thinking about going back to school because accounting sucks and I can't get a job. I did call center tech support for turbo tax for about a month, but it was a dead-end job so I quit.
Unread 03-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #144 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Quote:
I'm actually thinking about going back to school because accounting sucks and I can't get a job. I did call center tech support for turbo tax for about a month, but it was a dead-end job so I quit.
I'm pretty sure being a lawyer is going to suck and I won't be able to get a job either. I'm kind of counting on AP hooking me up somehow. If that doesn't work, I'm kind of counting on FC or Kremlin hooking me up some how. I've heard JD degrees sometimes get your foot in the investment banking door. If that doesn't work, I'm kind of counting on Repug hooking me up in the gay prostitute department. There's a decent market for that in California for new law graduates.

Unread 03-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #145 (permalink)

Don't lawyers specialize (kind of like doctors) during law school?

I read on the internet that patent lawyers are in high demand.
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #146 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Sort of. You do kind of "specialize" but not nearly in the same sense as doctors. There's not any additional residency, fellowships, etc. You fall into a niche and that's what you do. You get to pick your electives during school, but that doesn't really matter either because it's all about who hires you first. Also, what you learn in school has very little to do with being a lawyer. I assume back in the day you got a bit more of a choice, but not really now. Certainly not in California, certainly not in this economy. I'll be lucky to get any law related job.

I'm also pretty sure that there's no such thing as a lawyer of any kind that's "in demand" right now. I read a statistic a few years ago that there were more law students at the time, than licensed attorneys. It can't have gotten better. In regard to patent lawyers, they require a specific, hard science undergraduate background. Biology, chemistry, physics, etc.; not psychology. It's not the kind of law I'd want to practice anyway. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to get much of a choice.

To put things into perspective, nursing is supposedly one of the most in demand fields out there, and it took nearly 200 applications for my girlfriend to even get an interview. She fortunately nailed it and got the job. She was president of the Sacramento chapter of the National Student Nursing Association and near the top of her class. Imagine how difficult it was for everyone else.

Bright side of Sacramento, California: 1.5 hours from the ocean. 1.5 hours from the mountains. 1 hour from the forests. 1 hour from San Francisco, 1 hour from Lake Tahoe. The weather speaks for itself. All things considered, it would take something major for me to consider moving.

Last edited by Ironic Mustache; 03-30-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Unread 03-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #147 (permalink)
MURICAN

I love Wings ETC

Unread 04-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #148 (permalink)
Jelqing for Jesus

Internets: 194538
angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute angry pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't lawyers specialize (kind of like doctors) during law school?

I read on the internet that patent lawyers are in high demand.
No. Depends on the school on how many electives you even take or if a clinic is even available.

IM caught the correct with the patent lawyer. There are a few specialized courts that require a special license. The Patent Trademark Office is one of them. And it does require a hard science bank ground or equivalent to even take the damn thing. I think the US Tax office is another. All that said, IM could practice in the Eastern District of Texas (oddly enough an incredible hot bed of patent and pharmaceutical cases), simply by being admitted to that Court regardless if it's patent, taxes, or whatever so long as it is in that court. However, IM could not assist in an application for a patent because that is exclusively limited to the PTO and requires the special admission. The practical aspect is that having the PTO blessing is a seal of approval that you know what the fuck you are doing.

I've heard California is worse off than the States I'm licensed in for Lawyers. A lot of that has to do with California being one of the few states that allows graduates of non ABA law schools to take the California Bar Exam and will issue a "California Only" license. Wisconsin I heard does something similar in that graduates of Wisconsin law schools do not even have to take a bar exam and are automatically admitted (I really don't know all the details on this or if it's still going on). I recall the State of Washington also having some kind of apprentice program at one time where non ABA law school grads could take their bar exam.

The legal job market goes in cycles. It's been down here for a while, but it's picking back up at the bigger places I hear.

Quote:
I will rape your soul in hell forever.
angry pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #149 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Quote:
I've heard California is worse off than the States I'm licensed in for Lawyers. A lot of that has to do with California being one of the few states that allows graduates of non ABA law schools to take the California Bar Exam and will issue a "California Only" license. Wisconsin I heard does something similar in that graduates of Wisconsin law schools do not even have to take a bar exam and are automatically admitted (I really don't know all the details on this or if it's still going on). I recall the State of Washington also having some kind of apprentice program at one time where non ABA law school grads could take their bar exam.

The legal job market goes in cycles. It's been down here for a while, but it's picking back up at the bigger places I hear.
From what I hear, most employers consider non-ABA schools to be a joke. There's one here that doesn't even require a Bachelor's to get into.

Unread 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #150 (permalink)
Don't call me Shirley

Pretty interesting:
Career Risk Panic: Only 11% Of Hedge Funds Are Outperforming The S&P In 2012 | ZeroHedge

Quote: