Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help me solve this mystery

As many of you know, I'm not a fan of religion. A lot of you share my sentiments, though most aren't as ardently against it as I am. And while I pride myself on being an open minded, intelligent, and rational person, I acknowledge the fact that I am very much a product of my environment. My family is, and probably always will be, very religious. Not religious in the common sense though; they are fervent believers and practitioners. My brother and sister both attend a "school of supernatural ministry" in California, where they claim to witness miracles on a weekly basis. Their beliefs go way beyond what most Americans would consider mainstream. Naturally, I am opposed. I think they're delusional, and I blame my families beliefs on my mom's death.

Yes, I have a little baggage.

I've gone to great lengths to educate myself on religion, and specifically Christianity, since it's what most people practice in our country. I've taken a lot of philosophy classes dealing with science and religion. I've studied arguments for God's existence, like the teleological and ontological arguments. I've read Aquinas. I've also read works by Dawkins and Dennet, and other atheists that study biology and physics. I'm not an expert, but I'm informed on the positions both sides take, and through reason I've come to side with the atheists. I do believe that there's a possibility that God exists, but it's a very Einsteinian view - a pantheistic argument.

Now, the mystery I want you to help me solve isn't if God exists or not. Rather, there are some photographs my sister took. She claims they captured the holy spirit. I don't believe it for a second, but I don't understand enough about the way light works and bends to refute her.

The following pictures were taken during a worship session:

Obviously these little balls of concentrated light is the point of contention between us. Notice in this picture there are none:

She took the pictures with her own camera, and I know she didn't tamper with it in any way. Honestly, she's not smart enough to know how to create that kind of effect anyway. The funny thing is that I want to believe her. I want to believe there's something after this life. I want to believe my mom isn't completely gone. But I won't be seduced. I won't lie to myself.

All right, guys, help me out.

Last edited by Repugnant Abomination; 11-26-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 284585
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork

lol your sister is a fucking lunatic

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Almost there...

Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean because of the girl in the pictures then no - my sister isn't in any of the above photos.

If you mean because of her beliefs then yes, yes she is.

What are your thoughts on the strange balls of light though?
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

pretty sure thats dust or water molecules.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
English.

Internets: 179
Heaven Can Wait has a spectacular aura about Heaven Can Wait has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Heaven Can Wait

HAHA

Wikipedia on orb's..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb_(paranormal)

Pretty sure there are a few programs on it that tear it apart, using science and reason.
Paranormal assholes get off on this stuff.

there is little I wouldn't do for a dolphin.

Last edited by Heaven Can Wait; 11-26-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Heaven Can Wait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Level 20 Holothetan

Internets: 210144
ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute

A finger or camera strap coming into the frame even a tiny bit can have similar effects. Now if its balls your sister wants, she can have a worship session with mine.
ninjaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Almost there...

Excellent, thank you HCW.

Although I'm still wondering how she could take one photo with these orbs, and then immediately take another photo without them.
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repugnant Abomination View Post
If you mean because of her beliefs then yes, yes she is.

I will have an expert photographers opinion by the end of the night.

#YOLO
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Orb (photographic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

#YOLO
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Spice Master

Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Excellent, thank you HCW.

Although I'm still wondering how she could take one photo with these orbs, and then immediately take another photo without them.

dude, you've never taken a picture and had these things in them? i have like 3k pictures i've taken on my hd, i'll sift through and try to find them. It's really a pretty common "anomaly" of photography. Is your sister really claiming they are the holy spirit? If thats the case, ask her why they aren't in the last one. Lunch break?

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
dude, you've never taken a picture and had these things in them? i have like 3k pictures i've taken on my hd, i'll sift through and try to find them. It's really a pretty common "anomaly" of photography. Is your sister really claiming they are the holy spirit? If thats the case, ask her why they aren't in the last one. Lunch break?
the holy spirit is with you

#YOLO
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Almost there...

You guys have no idea how fucking insane these people are. Here is a photo of them getting "drunk in the holy spirit". They literally roll around on the floor laughing, because they're overwhelmed by the presence of God.

And here is a video:

Last edited by Repugnant Abomination; 11-26-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Level 20 Holothetan

Internets: 210144
ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute

Had I gone continued on to 6th grade at the catholic school instead of choosing the public school, I believe the big "6th grade class trip" was to some camp grounds where apparently this sort of thing happens often. I remember it being called something else. I think it was Holy Laughter, but I'm not totally sure.
ninjaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Spice Master

whose down for some e-terrorist activity?

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Almost there...

You meant to say, who's, not whose.

I'll use them both in a sentence so you can understand:

Whose ball is it?

Who's down for some e-terrorist activity?

Do you see the difference? Honestly, Blonde, you're a college graduate.
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Spice Master

oh. typo. my bad, grammar nazi.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

blonde, your and idiot

#YOLO
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Almost there...

Unread 11-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Spice Master

ftr, this thread officially has the words "terrorism, nazi, insane, delusional, drunk, and lunatic".

Why hello there US government.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaface View Post
Had I gone continued on to 6th grade at the catholic school instead of choosing the public school, I believe the big "6th grade class trip" was to some camp grounds where apparently this sort of thing happens often. I remember it being called something else. I think it was Holy Laughter, but I'm not totally sure.
From my experience with catholicism, I would say Catholics aren't really into this kind of shit.

#YOLO
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Almost there...

Yeah, they're more into lent, the stigmata, and exorcisms.
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

some of your sister's friends look like they need an exorcism

#YOLO
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

What may have caused these white spots?

Nov 26, 2008; 06:07 p.m.
I know very little about photography or film. A friend of mine claims they "have captured the holy spirit" in this picture at some kind of church party.
What can cause these fuzzy white spots in the following picture?
(link)

Answers

Tommy Lee , Nov 26, 2008; 06:18 p.m.
Small particulates (aka: dust, smoke) refecting light from the flash.

Geoff Sobering , Nov 26, 2008; 06:34 p.m.
I get them all the time taking photos in a wood shop!

so are u satisfied with the answers youve seen in this thread?

#YOLO
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Almost there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEINCREDIBLEdork View Post
What may have caused these white spots?

Nov 26, 2008; 06:07 p.m.
A friend of mine claims they "have captured the holy spirit" in this picture at some kind of church party.
We're not friends.

But yes, I am satisfied. Mystery solved. Thanks, gang!
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Red face

Quote:
We're not friends.
really?

#YOLO