Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Been told twice

Internets: 1299
TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEINCREDIBLEdork View Post
*violins are playing for you
Actually, unlike many teachers, I don't expect pity. I worked hard and got ahead. It's just kinda what you do in life.

Only reason I mentioned it was to debunk the "woe is me! life is so much HARDER for teachers" myth that keeps going around. Life is hard for all of us. Suck it up and move on.

Last edited by TwoBlackEyes; 01-19-2009 at 05:45 PM.
TwoBlackEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 284585
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork

*noble trumpets blare

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

I love how everyone tries to demonstrate their worth by how much they work. And anyone who thinks teachers are overrated are morons.
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Level 20 Holothetan

Internets: 210144
ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute

f3lix, don't listen to the haters. I'm sure teaching has its ups and downs. Just stick with it. Teaching isn't a bad gig to get you by until you can pursue a career that you are interested in. Until then...

HIGH FIVE!
ninjaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
I like dirt.

Internets: 2790
tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to tonguegina Send a message via AIM to tonguegina Send a message via MSN to tonguegina Send a message via Yahoo to tonguegina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Bastard View Post
...and they all work way more than you do. (Sorry... I had to)
Exactly. Getting the mail out of the box is my reason for waking up in the morning. What do I have on days like today? Lazy pieces of shit. Ever try to go to a bank between the middle of November and the middle of January? It's almost impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repugnant Abomination View Post
I love how everyone tries to demonstrate their worth by how much they work.
I hate people who do this. "Oh look at me...I have a job." Fuckers. Or, "Oh man, I have to work so much. I work 26 hour days 9 days a week." Who gives a shit? I'm not impressed, and if you don't like it find something else.
tonguegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #31 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it funny how people's worldview is like the mirror image of their own lives? In this instance, we have Repug and tonguegina, both not exactly known to jump at the chance to work a job, each talking about how gainful employment or productivity does not equate to personal value. And I'm sure each of them would change their tune immediately if someone came along and offered them $100k to pour Obama's coffee in the mornings or whatever. "Man I have the best job ever!"

I mean, I'm not judging either of them or anything, just a funny observation is all. People are fucking funny, and I know for everything I find funny about other people, other people could find something equally funny about me.

Last edited by Ugly Bastard; 01-19-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #32 (permalink)

Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

People find a lot of acceptance through work. I didn't always get this and I've been in that "lol all these 'working' people are so dumb" camp before, but there's nothing wrong with it. Just like Repug seeks acceptance through his writing or tonguegina seeks acceptance through his knowledge of movies and television, other people seek acceptance by adding value to the world by working for a company or government.

People trying to demonstrate their worth by talking about how much they work is no more or less ridiculous than you trying to demonstrate your worth by posting short stories you've written. The idealist in me likes to think that if you want them to accept your short stories as something that makes you an awesome person, you have to accept whatever work it is that they do as the same. Which, of course, is really fucking hard when they're talking about shit you don't care about.

Last edited by Ugly Bastard; 01-19-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Ahoy Fuckbag

Internets: 187030
DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is that every time I am outside of an actually restaurant / bar setting and a server bitches about their tips / pay / hours / etc the conversation goes as following:

Me- "Awwwwwwwwwwww you poor thiiiiiiiiing."
"Shutup my job is hard and the pay is shitty, people need to tip better."
"Do you tip road workers? Your garbage man? Mail carrier?"
"No."
"Then shut the fuck up."

Usually they are done after that. With teachers its like this:

"Teachers don't get paid well enough."
"So did you know what your starting salary was going to be when you went to school to become a teacher?"
"Yeah, but we are teaching the future of this country."
"I don't want you teaching my kids if you are too fucking stupid to look into how much you are going to get paid doing a job that takes a four year degree to get."
"Don't you think teachers deserve more money?"
"Why don't you teach at a private school that pays more?"
"Uhhh..."
"Because you are not worth more, now shutup."
DDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

waiters only make about 2 dollars an hour wages, tips are their income. Road workers pry make around 12-15

#YOLO

Last edited by THEINCREDIBLEdork; 01-19-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Been told twice

Internets: 1299
TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of TwoBlackEyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
waiters only make about 2 dollars an hour wages, tips are their income. Road workers pry make around 12-15
Exactly. Failing to tip is like going to get your car fixed and paying for parts but refusing to pay for labor.

And, frankly, people who are waiting tables 90% of the time didn't choose that as a career but instead are using it as stop-gap employment while they pursue a different career. Teachers DID choose.

But it boils down to the fact that, once again, all jobs suck in different ways. No one has a perfect job, and teachers have it no harder than any other group.
TwoBlackEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
Almost there...

Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Isn't it funny how people's worldview is like the mirror image of their own lives? In this instance, we have Repug and tonguegina, both not exactly known to jump at the chance to work a job, each talking about how gainful employment or productivity does not equate to personal value. And I'm sure each of them would change their tune immediately if someone came along and offered them $100k to pour Obama's coffee in the mornings or whatever. "Man I have the best job ever!"

I mean, I'm not judging either of them or anything, just a funny observation is all. People are fucking funny, and I know for everything I find funny about other people, other people could find something equally funny about me.
I think you're missing the point though. My argument is that you shouldn't base your self worth on how much you work and how much money you make. The monetary value society places on jobs is based only on the necessity of the job and how much more money it's able to create. I don't find much value on that. As long as I have enough money to live a (what I consider to be) comfortable life, I'll be okay. The fact that someone else is working 70 hours a week and busting their ass doesn't make me think any better of them. In fact I think they're foolishly wasting their lives and not enjoying it enough.

I also think you're off by saying I don't exactly jump at the opportunity to work. I don't know many people who work full time when they're taking 16 credits a term.

Quote:
People find a lot of acceptance through work. I didn't always get this and I've been in that "lol all these 'working' people are so dumb" camp before, but there's nothing wrong with it. Just like Repug seeks acceptance through his writing or tonguegina seeks acceptance through his knowledge of movies and television, other people seek acceptance by adding value to the world by working for a company or government.

People trying to demonstrate their worth by talking about how much they work is no more or less ridiculous than you trying to demonstrate your worth by posting short stories you've written. The idealist in me likes to think that if you want them to accept your short stories as something that makes you an awesome person, you have to accept whatever work it is that they do as the same. Which, of course, is really fucking hard when they're talking about shit you don't care about.
Again, I think you're wrong here. I don't write short stories for acceptance - at all. I write them because it's my way of trying to understand existence. If other people enjoy reading them that's great, and if I can actually get paid to write them that awesome. But first and foremost I do it for myself, because I enjoy it, and I think it's really important. It's not to fulfill my needs of acceptance, which I do have those needs, but I get them fulfilled through personal relationships.

But I do think I am of the philosophy, like the French for example, that believe you should work less and enjoy life more. Unfortunately I know that in order to enjoy life more in the material sense you have to work more, but I'm perfectly happy not having really fancy things. I consider the need for superfluous possessions pretty superficial - and the person who needs those things to be happy pretty shallow.

Soooooooooooo in closing, I do think people who work themselves to death in order to buy the nice car and the pimp ass clothing to be mistaken in their ambitions. I guess that's what interest me so much about you, UB... You're kind of doing both, in a strange sort of way. While I know you work at what you do, I wouldn't say you work a shit ton, like say someone working at the New York stock exchange or something. You've found a way to not completely bust your ass to the point of misery and still make a lot of money. In that case, kudos to you.
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTempest View Post
"Do you tip road workers? Your garbage man? Mail carrier?"
all gov employees payed by tax dollars, everybody including the waitress is tipping them

#YOLO
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
I like dirt.

tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute tonguegina has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to tonguegina Send a message via AIM to tonguegina Send a message via MSN to tonguegina Send a message via Yahoo to tonguegina

You're right to a point. If I were getting paid $100K to pour someone's coffee, I would think it's a pretty sweet gig. But I wouldn't complain about it when it sucked and I wouldn't gloat about it when it was good. I mean, come on. As nice as that job sounds, let's call a spade a spade, it doesn't make me any more "valuable" of a person than I am now. Would you really think yourself more important or valuable because you poured the president's coffee?

I guess I've always seen money as a burden. I work when I have to because I have to, but I kind of just want to be left alone. It's not my dream to have millions of dollars. My gold toilet would still just be a place to shit and in a number of years down the road I'm going to die. What is all of that money and possessions going to do for me then?

I just feel like work gets in the way of life. Life's too short to dedicate to a profession that nobody cares about, which for me is pretty much all professions. It's about the experiences you have. I know you're thinking, "You live in Indy, what's so great about that." Well, it's a hell of a lot better than what I had at this time last year. I'm having a blast right now. I know I joked that the only thing getting me up in the morning is to check the mail, but that's bull shit. I go out more nights than I don't, have dinner with friends, order a scotch or a good beer...I want more adventurous experiences in the future; simple things like rock climbing to bigger things like places I'd like to go, I have a friend in Korea I'd like to visit, hell even just to head down to Houston for the weekend to visit UB, but money gets in the way again.

This hardly makes any sense even to me, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm not sure where I'm going or how I got there. Maybe that makes me appreciate the journey more, maybe I'm just a hippie among capitalists. Either way, I think work is one of the least important things you do with your life (unless it's something that you're passionate about, then lucky you), and I don't think it should be the defining factor.
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Again, I think you're wrong here. I don't write short stories for acceptance - at all.
Not even a little bit? I mean, I might have been wrong to suggest that acceptance is the chief reason you choose to write, but it seems a little silly to me that you think acceptance is not even a slight contributor to why you choose to write. But I mean, whatever... how am I to know?

Quote:
But I do think I am of the philosophy, like the French for example, that believe you should work less and enjoy life more. I consider the need for superfluous possessions pretty superficial - and the person who needs those things to be happy pretty shallow.

I do think people who work themselves to death in order to buy the nice car and the pimp ass clothing to be mistaken in their ambitions.
While I understand what you're saying and generally feel the same way myself, I think you have to be careful with statements like this. It's very easy to come across as a pompous, know-it-all prick to people who disagree with you. I don't, in any absolute sense, find anything wrong with someone who works their ass off so they can buy themselves a Ferrari. If that's what they want to do with their life, I say more power to them.

If I may try to speak for you for a moment, perhaps a better way of conveying idea you're trying to get across in the above quote is to say that: it's sad when people think that, in order to be accepted, they must work hard and buy nice stuff even if doing so goes against their instinct. To me, that is certainly not the case and anyone who thinks it is isn't doing humanity any favors in my view.

Also, fuck the French.

Last edited by Ugly Bastard; 01-19-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonguegina View Post
Would you really think yourself more important or valuable because you poured the president's coffee?
Absolutely!

Quote:
I guess I've always seen money as a burden. I work when I have to because I have to, but I kind of just want to be left alone.
I go in and out of phases where I find this statement to be very easy to relate to. That's why I think it's so important to enjoy whatever it is you do to earn money. Enjoying the process of earning money is as crucial to one's happiness as being able to enjoy the things that come with having money.

Quote:
I just feel like work gets in the way of life.
I agree completely. To me, work is about the closest thing to hell that actually exists. But I think it's important to note that something which to you seems like work is something that can be completely enjoyable to someone else. "Working" is more a state of mind than anything.
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
I like dirt.

Wow...a lot happened while I was making that post.

Quote:
I think you're missing the point though. My argument is that you shouldn't base your self worth on how much you work and how much money you make. The monetary value society places on jobs is based only on the necessity of the job and how much more money it's able to create. I don't find much value on that. As long as I have enough money to live a (what I consider to be) comfortable life, I'll be okay. The fact that someone else is working 70 hours a week and busting their ass doesn't make me think any better of them. In fact I think they're foolishly wasting their lives and not enjoying it enough.
Exactly what I was trying to say. More eloquent, less emotion.

Quote:
Again, I think you're wrong here. I don't write short stories for acceptance...But first and foremost I do it for myself, because I enjoy it, and I think it's really important. It's not to fulfill my needs of acceptance, which I do have those needs, but I get them fulfilled through personal relationships.

But I do think I am of the philosophy, like the French for example, that believe you should work less and enjoy life more.
Again, what I was trying to say. I gain acceptance through interactions with other people. I immerse myself in film, both as creator and spectator, because that's what I enjoy to do. I don't expect people to like/accept me because I've seen a particular movie, in fact I generally look for acceptance in spite of that.

And I'm certainly not saying that "working people are so dumb." To each his own. If you choose to live a life based around work, that's great. That seems to be how most people think. I just don't like to be judged because that's not how I think.
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
Ahoy Fuckbag

DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you saying that being a server is as hard as being a roadworker standing in the sun on the asphalt for eight hours a day when the air temperature is in the mid nineties? I don't think they fucking compare one bit, but we don't feel compelled to tip a road worker just because his job sucks and he isn't getting paid enough relative to the crappiness of his job.

Everyone jump on the bandwagon: " but servers are the blah blah blah boo fucking hoo." I am tired of hearing about the plight of servers. If you don't like your pay, get a new fucking job. Not qualified to do anything else? Not my fucking problem the only skill you ever learned was to write shit down and carry it from point A to point B. No amount of pissing and moaning is going to make me feel that you are doing the world a huge fucking service bringing me a beer. If I had my preference, I would walk into a bar, grab a glass off the shelf, pour my own drink, and pay the cashier at the door before I left. Instead these establishment have two people between me and something I could and would do myself - a bartender and a server and both expect me to tip them 20% on top of the 300 - 600% markup on the glass of beer they are bringing me, slowly.

As I have said before, I generally tip well, but if you don't think you are making enough money then take a number and get in line.
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #43 (permalink)
I like dirt.

Quote:
I agree completely. To me, work is about the closest thing to hell that actually exists. But I think it's important to note that something which to you seems like work is something that can be completely enjoyable to someone else. "Working" is more a state of mind than anything.
That's why at the end I said "unless it's something that you're passionate about, then lucky you". I think that's another personal wrinkle to my argument. I really don't have anything that I'm so passionate about that I could do for 40 hours a week. Even things that I do enjoy doing get old after that long.
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Quote:
Are you saying that being a server is as hard as being a roadworker standing in the sun on the asphalt for eight hours a day when the air temperature is in the mid nineties?
I wasn't implying that, are you implying that a server only deserves 2 dollars an hour?

This is pointless, but I'll bite and point out to you that you are wrong. I would argue that being a server is about 4000X as hard as being a roadworker who get to spend his day outside either holding a sign that says slow down or riding a steam roller, and taking 4 lunch breaks. Have you ever been a server? It can be grueling work where there are always time constraints, multiple threads of multitasking, and one tiny mistake can set you back so you won't get paid for the current round of seating.

Probably the most potentially stressful job I've ever had. I've done heavy labor jobs too, you might break a sweat once and a while, but there is absolutely no stress involved.

#YOLO
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #45 (permalink)
Ahoy Fuckbag

Quote:
I wasn't implying that, are you implying that a server only deserves 2 dollars an hour?

This is pointless, but I'll bite and point out to you that you are wrong. I would argue that being a server is about 4000X as hard as being a roadworker who get to spend his day outside either holding a sign that says slow down or riding a steam roller, and taking 4 lunch breaks. Have you ever been a server? It can be grueling work where there are always time constraints, multiple threads of multitasking, and one tiny mistake can set you back so you won't get paid for the current round of seating.

Probably the most potentially stressful job I've ever had. I've done heavy labor jobs too, you might break a sweat once and a while, but there is absolutely no stress involved.
I am not implying that servers only deserve $2.15 an hour, I am saying they shouldn't bitch about their tips and how hard their job is when they are the ones that chose to do it. I am lumping them in with teachers as a group of people that canonize themselves publicly as saints unto this earth. Fact of the matter is that generally servers that earn shitty tips are shitty servers and I don't want to listen to them bitch about it.

Have you ever worked outside in the sun doing any sort of manual labor on a hot summer day? I am talking ANY manual labor. A job being stressful does not mean it is harder work, it means you are less capable of dealing with its requirements.
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #46 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

God damn guys. Good job in this thread, all of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3lix View Post
"retail clerks, waitresses, cube drones and IT guys"

How many of these jobs require a 4-year degree, all kinds of governmental prodding into your past, and continued education classes? I'm pretty sure I don't have to pay $50k to go get a job as a waiter or waitress of which my own motivation for doing well is getting tipped better by performing better.
In my experience, while the lower levels of these jobs obviously don't require a 4 year degree, in order to get any significant promotion to make a living on, most of these jobs (managers of all of the establishments you quote) do require a degree of some sort, and even then the pay is still pretty shitty. I work in IT support and the people I have to deal with on a daily basis are fucking horrible. I don't bitch about it that much because - like people have said in this thread, if I don't like it, its really my own fault. However, by no fucking means am I going to stick it out and hate my life every day of my life just because the job offers "security". I plan to be teaching English in South Korea (mainly to travel, teaching is just the means to do so) by the end of next month if everything goes properly.

Quote:
IAs long as I have enough money to live a (what I consider to be) comfortable life, I'll be okay. The fact that someone else is working 70 hours a week and busting their ass doesn't make me think any better of them. In fact I think they're foolishly wasting their lives and not enjoying it enough.
Quote:
That's why I think it's so important to enjoy whatever it is you do to earn money.
Quote:
But I do think I am of the philosophy, like the French for example, that believe you should work less and enjoy life more. Unfortunately I know that in order to enjoy life more in the material sense you have to work more, but I'm perfectly happy not having really fancy things. I consider the need for superfluous possessions pretty superficial - and the person who needs those things to be happy pretty shallow.

I feel kinda the same way, surprisingly as I get older. I've never been entirely money motivated. I didn't grow up from a wealthy family, so it's not that I've ever had to worry about money - I think we all have - its just to me, I just don't care that much. Like Repug, if I have my necessities covered, I really am fine. What I find more and more is that people just are either going on life "auto pilot" from the lessons and values they learned as children on the path of "go to school, go to college, get a job, get married, have kids, retire, die" This is really going to turn into another rant about, while i'm not sure the motivation of many women out there in the world (besides to be hot and attract a mate), the motivation for a lot of guys to make lots of money in the world seems to be getting a wife and (even if they don't know it yet), providing for a family. Fuck that shit. Really, what is the point to build any wealth in life if its not for those who you love to share it with? Just be lonely and rich and have all this money that you can buy tons of shit with? Sure i'm sure its fun for a while, but we're all human, and eventually everybody comes around. The problem is that lots of men and women buy into the whole married and children thing and end up having to still bust their fucking asses to keep up with society and all its expectations of us. I say (now, at least...and probably for a while) fuck society. I hate that people think of me differently at 25 because I don't have an awesome job, or car, or I live with 3 other guys in a medium sized house, and am not buying all sorts of new things every month. That doesn't mean I'm going to give in; in fact i'm more likely to say "fuck you" even more simply because of the fact i'm going against the grain. But anyways, sorry for the mini-rant..moving on...

Quote:
This hardly makes any sense even to me, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm not sure where I'm going or how I got there. Maybe that makes me appreciate the journey more, maybe I'm just a hippie among capitalists. Either way, I think work is one of the least important things you do with your life (unless it's something that you're passionate about, then lucky you), and I don't think it should be the defining factor.
It's hard to categorize people as a whole. There are so many different viewpoints to take. One could look at you and call you a lazy hippie as you so described. One could look at GWB and ask "what the fuck is he doing working so much? WHY??? Money? it that the only reason, or does he really enjoy the work he does? One can look at UB and how lucky he is...or how misfortunate gambling can be sometimes. One can look at me and see a confused ex-douchebag who doesn't know what the fuck he's doing in his life and seems to hate everything that involves staying in one place for 6 months. The list can go on and on, and by no means am I picking on anybody, as there are MANY different interpretations of everybody that can be seen by any different person, these are just the first that come to mind with what I know of those on the board. The sad thing about people "defining" themselves to our work is that most of us have to. It's almost impossible for a human not to define themselves by the one activity (work) that they have to spend the majority of their waking hours of their life doing. That's why it goes back to what UB said...you really have to enjoy what you do, even if its a learned enjoyment. Otherwise you might as well be the walking dead, which is exactly how I feel now; I feel like I should have been born in another century.

Quote:
If I had my preference, I would walk into a bar, grab a glass off the shelf, pour my own drink, and pay the cashier at the door before I left. Instead these establishment have two people between me and something I could and would do myself - a bartender and a server and both expect me to tip them 20% on top of the 300 - 600% markup on the glass of beer they are bringing me, slowly.

As I have said before, I generally tip well, but if you don't think you are making enough money then take a number and get in line.
This. I HATE eating out/going to bars, primarily because I have been a server and just don't like people waiting on me. I know its their choice, but it still seems like glorified slavery. I'd much rather do shit myself; if I am every incapacitated beyond doing simple day to day functions by myself permanently, I will find a way to kill myself. There is just no reason to live. Obviously this is an exaggeration to the point DD is making but I just think the whole thing is silly. That being said, as long as my waiter doesn't suck huge cock, I usually tip 20%, knowing that not only the waiters/servers checks depend on it, but many times barbacks/bussers/cooks get tipped out from those tips as well.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #47 (permalink)
Almost there...

Quote:
Not even a little bit? I mean, I might have been wrong to suggest that acceptance is the chief reason you choose to write, but it seems a little silly to me that you think acceptance is not even a slight contributor to why you choose to write. But I mean, whatever... how am I to know?

While I understand what you're saying and generally feel the same way myself, I think you have to be careful with statements like this. It's very easy to come across as a pompous, know-it-all prick to people who disagree with you. I don't, in any absolute sense, find anything wrong with someone who works their ass off so they can buy themselves a Ferrari. If that's what they want to do with their life, I say more power to them.

If I may try to speak for you for a moment, perhaps a better way of conveying idea you're trying to get across in the above quote is to say that: it's sad when people think that, in order to be accepted, they must work hard and buy nice stuff even if doing so goes against their instinct. To me, that is certainly not the case and anyone who thinks it is isn't doing humanity any favors in my view.

Also, fuck the French.
Perhaps on some level I write to gain acceptance - maybe it's the word acceptance I don't like though. It's like, I don't write for acceptance, but I do enjoy the acceptance (positive reaction) I get from people when I tell them it's what I do. Does that make sense?

It all comes down to priorities I guess. I like the idea of investing in myself as opposed to investing in things for myself, i.e. my education/intellectual endeavors over belongings. I might not have much to show for it - only my mind - but that's the most important thing in my opinion.

Of course, you can be an intellectual while still working a lot. I guess I feel like what some of you said - that work, most of the time, is a burden, so unless you're doing something you really love then it takes away from time you'd rather spend doing worthier things than making money.

You're right though in that this is just my opinion and I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, pompous asshole. Who am I to look down on someone for what they want out of life? I suppose, then, that everyone has their own personal truths, and they should follow the path of their own heart (no homo).

With that said, how can one be praised because they work so much, and then someone else be condemned because they don't work very much at all?

Last edited by Repugnant Abomination; 01-19-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Unread 01-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #48 (permalink)
Almost there...

Actually you know what though? I don't think this shit is so relative. I think that the shallow life is hardly worth living at all. I say quit fucking working so much so you can buy a bunch of crap you don't really need and will only put you in debt so you have to work even more.
Unread 01-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #49 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 250185
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
For Shameful Transgressions
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

I can't feel sorry for teachers. You're the one dumb enough to pursue that career. If I chose to be a drug dealer, but got sent to prison nobody would feel bad for me. If I got high all the time in college and the only job I could get was a manager at a big box retailer, nobody would feel bad for me. You made a poor choice with your life. Now stop complaining and quit your job.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #50 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W. Bush View Post
I can't feel sorry for teachers. You're the one dumb enough to pursue that career.

...you realize almost, if not all of us went to public school, right? How can you say something this disrespectful?

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote