Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #376 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3lix View Post
I feel pretty certain that anybody who talks about how selfish it is for Americans wanting to keep wages to themselves have never lived in an area with people on welfare programs.
Is this in regard to the taxes our government takes from working citizens and then distributes it among people on welfare? Because if so I agree with you. But the problem isn't the poor. There is massive income and financial inequality in the US.

Humans are clever, no matter what class they are (the elite classes often forget this...) If they find a way to exploit any system, they are going to. Your work ethic means nothing, morally. The problem obviously lies in corrupt/unconscious politicians and flawed systems, in policy, education and economics. I'm all for an overhaul, but anyone who still believes in a fair and untainted US electoral process is delusional. This country is going to lose it's mind over the next 6 months.

It's really hard to get people to have open, honest, and rational dialogue about politics in the United States. I have since realized that u European boys have a much broader range of education than we do, even at most Universities. It's still very "me and mine", over here, and much less (real) philanthropic concern or effort. Most single people in the US can't afford it, most parents are putting that money towards their kids/houses/retirement or just wasting it.

It's not the average American's fault though, he just hasn't realized the reason he hates the poor and oppressed so much is because we live in a fear-based media country with extremely polarized wealth disparity.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna

Last edited by Mr. Blonde; 09-02-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #377 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Internets: 174266
Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute

Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2016, 03:17 AM   #378 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute

Obama knows the difference between AI and AGI

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/presid...ito-interview/
Unread 10-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #379 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Still haven't caught up on Sam Harris on AI, here he is with Peter Singer!
How long before he gets David Pearce on? he needs a bigger audience.

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/it...moral-progress
Unread 11-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #380 (permalink)
Spice Master

Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Listening now. They disagree first at 23:00

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #381 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

...I mean when they're talking about Hume's guillotine and the is-ought problem they're basically talking about moral relativism..yes?
Amateur surface knowledge trump supporters!

I don't know if Sam's worst of all worlds thing cuts it, but DP's attempt at naturalising morality might!

Something like 55 minutes in and Peter is talking about reducing suffering and then going for happiness, I hoped they'd get more into how to weigh these things.
Also glad they're only concerned with pain/pleasure as things that are (dis)valuable. lots of people give weight to "ecosystems" and other abstract shite
Cool that they touch on acts and omissions at the end, I've been looking at omission bias today.

"In moral psychology, the tendency to judge harmful actions as worse, or less moral than equally harmful omissions (inactions) due to the fact that actions are more obvious than inactions is known as omission bias. Cf. Spranca, M., Minsk, E., & Baron, J. (1991). Omission and commission in judgment and choice. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 27, 76−105."

thedit : Aww shit last but one question touches on happy cows with net positive lives!
last edit : Finished, he mentions animal charity evaluators at the end!! ACE recommend the group i'm doing stuff for at the moment, although we're not their top recommended charity.

Last edited by Dent; 11-04-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 11-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #382 (permalink)
Spice Master

Misunderstood (violent) Islam is going to continue to be a problem for a long time.

I hope they don't get a Kwizatz Haderach.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-24-2016, 06:11 AM   #383 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/it...eid=4f883c6ced

I spoke with this guy a little about wireheading at the weekend
Unread 11-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #384 (permalink)
Spice Master

Did you listen to the podcast yet?

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #385 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Stuart Armstrong one? Not yet.
I'm not worried about AI taking over if that's the topic.
I can't explain why exactly why, I'll work on it. It's got all the nerds hyped.
Unread 11-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #386 (permalink)
Spice Master

Stuart Russell, not Armstrong.

Sam directly points to how people don't seem to be emotionally concerned even if they are intellectually concerned, this Russell guy has apparently been in AI for 35 years. The idea is basically loopholes and different genres of AI.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #387 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Whoops.. i'm flued up and confused the two. I didn't chat with Stuart Russell about AI wireheading.
Unread 11-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #388 (permalink)
Spice Master

It's worth listening to.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #389 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

hey you're right
Unread 01-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #390 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/...nce-or-fiction

A panel discussion moderated by Max Tegmark, including Elon Musk, Stuart Russell, Ray Kurzweil, Demis Hassabis, Sam Harris, Nick Bostrom, David Chalmers, Bart Selman, and Jaan Tallinn.
Unread 01-31-2017, 11:43 PM   #391 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 284585
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
Stuart Russell, not Armstrong.

Sam directly points to how people don't seem to be emotionally concerned even if they are intellectually concerned, this Russell guy has apparently been in AI for 35 years. The idea is basically loopholes and different genres of AI.

Okay, so where do I begin. Your comment was not bad at all, but it needs some work. You have made a few grammatical mistakes, but those are not relevant since the most important part of a comment is getting your message through. The real problem lays in the message itself. Ever since you posted it, it seems that nobody has given a fuck so far. This isn't meant metaphorically; I'm serious. Nobody has ever cared about your point thus nobody agrees with it. You were probably just trolling and not serious in any way, but just in case you weren't; I hope you take this message to heart. If you did mean it as a joke, please realize that the comment you made was not funny in any way known to mankind (as of 17th of January, 2017). Now that's out of the way, I need your help as soon as possible. I'm in a helicopter with a friend and we are not sure how to land it. There is a grassy landscape nearby, so that should be the perfect spot. Could you please google 'how to land a helicopter' and summarize it for me? Okay, you probably are wondering how I even ended up in this position, or why I'm judging your comment while being in such a dangerous position. It's only fair if I explain that first. It started in early 2006 when my friend and I were just students. We were young and reckless and wanted to become helicopter pilots because we saw it in a cool anime. We didn't have many friends, but we had each other so we did everything together, which includes following our dreams. Despite us trying hard to follow our dream to become helicopter pilots, we dropped out of school. Long story short your comment is shit.

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #392 (permalink)

Internets: 10
DoyleHos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bloende View Post
It's this awesome creatine article worth listening to.
Yep that Sam Harris is a smart guy.

Last edited by DoyleHos; 08-27-2021 at 06:43 AM.
DoyleHos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #393 (permalink)

Internets: 284753
Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute

No he's not
Saint DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #394 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Internets: 305662
Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo

A disagreement!

Now the real question: Is our new friend an actual person or an elaborate bot.
Orgazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #395 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent View Post
Gene drives are the scariest thing I ever heard of, I don't know if they can ever be used.
hmm
Morning nubblies just a quick update

SCANDAL SCANDAL SCANDAL

Until a few months ago the longest known living person was Jeanne Calment, life extensionists dream of going to her grave site in france and taking a sample of the holy grail of DNA to see what's cookin', turns out her daughter probably pretended to be her for tax evasion purposes.
Here's a 5 minute read on the story
https://medium.com/@yurideigin/jeanne-101-f1ee2307ac15

The face of a tax evader
Unread 01-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #396 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo

Yes! I used to regularly scour all of the "world's most..." wiki pages. Tall, Old, etc. All of it.

I'm familiar with Jean but hadn't heard about this.

WHAT A SCANDAL!
Unread 02-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #397 (permalink)

Internets: 10
bigerich12 is on a distinguished road

dont think the human race has much future
bigerich12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #398 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice

Not with that attitude it dont
Unread 02-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #399 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse

I really wonder what it must have felt like during the Bronze Age Collapse. It must have been like the world itself was ending; what does that do to how you think of the future?
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #400 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

If you're like me and prefer movies to books...start with this one: