Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > News

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #51 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache

Yeah I hadn't forgetten it was Beebs that suggested philo classes as my elective.

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #52 (permalink)

Internets: 1129
hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of

AP has a degree in Philo. Some of the material in the intro classes will be repackaged on the LSAT. At least it was 30 years ago or whenever it was.
hfam95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
Ahoy Fuckbag

Internets: 187030
DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
I'm not trying to white knight here, but it honestly depends on the circumstances. If someone approached me and asked me to sacrifice myself so my organs could save 10 people, hell yes i'd probably say no. If I was going to die anyways (cancer of the liver, persay, and nowhere else) i might oblige. Or if I tried to save some people and fully realize I could die in the process, then probably. Like that video someone posted in KAVotD when the lions are ripping apart someone and nobody is jumping in and helping, I can't say I wouldn't be retarded enough to jump and try to help.
I'll do you one better. What if you didn't have to die to save the lives of ten anonymous people? Would you?
DDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #54 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTempest View Post
I'll do you one better. What if you didn't have to die to save the lives of ten anonymous people? Would you?

Of course.

EDIT: I know this is leading somewhere ftr.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #55 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it doesn't go this direction:

Those two people end up killing two people each, who may or may not have been good people who may or may not have killed other people who may or many not have deserved it.

Unread 11-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #56 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95 View Post
AP has a degree in Philo. Some of the material in the intro classes will be repackaged on the LSAT. At least it was 30 years ago or whenever it was.
Pretty much just logic right? I'm officially starting to study after the new year.

Unread 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #57 (permalink)
Spice Master

Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Mustache View Post

Those two people end up killing two people each, who may or may not have been good people who may or may not have killed other people who may or many not have deserved it.
*shrugs* with the limited information i had at the time i did what was right imo

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #58 (permalink)

Internets: 17
SnakeInTheGrass is on a distinguished road

Quote:

utilitarian logic can make any act seem evil

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. – Benjamin Franklin
SnakeInTheGrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #59 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

That's why I prefaced my post, "I hope it doesn't go this direction."

Unread 11-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #60 (permalink)
Ahoy Fuckbag

DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Of course.

EDIT: I know this is leading somewhere ftr.
All you have to do is live a minimalist lifestyle and use nearly all of your earnings to support / feed a few starving africans! And you don't even have do die! If you hate black people, you can choose to support some Eastern European or Southeast Asian children instead.
Unread 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #61 (permalink)

Internets: 1129
hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of hfam95 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Pretty much just logic right? I'm officially starting to study after the new year.
Depending on how the class is structured. I only took 4 classes that even addressed logic. Midway through the second, which was the first logic only class, it was basically a math class. The "baby logic" was covered in the two intro classes. That's where close to 50% of the LSAT is focused. Those 2 fucking sections of short passages where you have to pick "what if added strengthens the argument" stuff. By the time you complete a formal logic class you'll be able to whiz through the puzzles section.

We actually had a fairly large philo dept when I went.
hfam95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #62 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
All you have to do is live a minimalist lifestyle and use nearly all of your earnings to support / feed a few starving africans! And you don't even have do die! If you hate black people, you can choose to support some Eastern European or Southeast Asian children instead.
i'd rather die saving them from a lion or something.

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #63 (permalink)
Ahoy Fuckbag

Quote:
i'd rather die saving them from a lion or something.
My point was that we all pretend like we would help others out, but basically we just say "fuck em" and if you aren't living your own life as a fucking monk then you are basically choosing death for others. Death that YOU CAN PREVENT. I don't send any money to Africa, and I am willing to bet that most all of you don't either, so lets not get all fucking butt-hurt about a few Irish babies being "put at risk" for "the greater good."
Unread 11-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #64 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 284585
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork

jews believe if you kill someone you kill all of the people they would have given birth to. I just thought I'd throw that in there.

jews

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #65 (permalink)
Spice Master

Quote:
so lets not get all fucking butt-hurt about a few Irish babies being "put at risk" for "the greater good."
I agree...I probably wasn't the best person to use that example on in here. I think that minor experiments such ase these don't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEINCREDIBLEdork View Post
jews believe if you kill someone you kill all of the people they would have given birth to. I just thought I'd throw that in there.

jews
BIG lol

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #66 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven Can Wait View Post
So do you have a stance on it? I'm guessing you're saying it's wrong, but saying that 'other issues are involved' is a cop out, are you saying you can't put a price on life? something like that?
To be honest I don't quite know what my stance on this article is. I understand that the infringement on rights, justice, and care is relatively small, but so is the gain in utility.

Yes, it will save lives, but that does not mean it is automatically ok to intentionally cause harm to a helpless child. This is why ethics is more than arithmetic, because the answer is not always obvious; horrible evil could be justified through a simple body count, and on the other side horrible injustice can be carried out in the name of an inalienable right to life.

The entire crux of the argument is that you have rights, justice, utility, and care to consider, and the answer is not just which meets more of the 5, its weighing the particular circumstances; determining when one becomes more important than the other.

I'm not saying you can't put a price on life, I'm saying that the "price" is not simply a measurement of lifes, a bodycount. Is saving a life worth impeding on rights? Is saving 20? 20000?

What I'm saying is that a simple utilitarian equation is not good enough, saving lives is not always justification enough. Less people would have died had the Allies simply surrendered peacefully to the Axis; far more lives than this study on babies could save, and unimaginable horrors could have been spared, and yet, it was not the ethical thing to do, for the reasons I'm trying to explain.

Even if you do accept complete utilitarianism, is a couple hundred thousand lives worth more than ensuring the quality of others lives through protection of their rights?

Last edited by Beebs; 11-25-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #67 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

And we've missed the point of the trolley question, it has to do with rights vs utility, and the can be nitpicked down to malfeasance vs nonfeasance, negative rights vs positive rights, and the problem catered to those nitpicks to avoid missing the point of whole question.

Trolley problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is the trolley problem. It can be phrased dozens of different ways, but that is just to keep people from avoid the question, the purpose is always the same; it shows that utilitarianism calculations simply are not good enough.

Its not a personality test, you are not being graded on your morality, you are being asked to think about why your answers change with the situation, thats what I think some of you are missing. It doesn't show you that you are unethical, it shows that the language and thought process most people use to describe "ethics" is insufficient, you are supposed to be unsure, thats the point.

Thats why it's called a thought experiment.

Last edited by Beebs; 11-25-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #68 (permalink)
*Dislikes ham

Internets: 60790
vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute

I say kill 'em all. -Starship Troopers.

Putting the sensual in non-consensual.
vaga1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #69 (permalink)
Spice Master

kick a ginger day

― Terence McKenna
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #70 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute

Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #71 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Fuck each of you. You'll miss us when we're gone!
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #72 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 284585
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork

Amy Adams is so fucking hawt.

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #73 (permalink)
English.

Internets: 179
Heaven Can Wait has a spectacular aura about Heaven Can Wait has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Heaven Can Wait

Met-Art: ELISIA

NSFW NSFW NSFW

there is little I wouldn't do for a dolphin.
Heaven Can Wait is offline   Reply With Quote