Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?

Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   The Irish...They Get Shit Done (http://www.nubblies.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16898)

Orgazmo 11-22-2008 04:13 AM

The Irish...They Get Shit Done

Testing on Newborn Orphans Leads to Hopeful Discoveries

Source

So basically...the Irish have a program in which they use orphan newborns as test patients to research effects of various nourishment methods.

...I think this is pretty badass. We have scientists twiddling their thumbs over here while shitfaces debate back and forth about stem cells whilst the Irish are getting shit done and results tallied. Sure, there's going to be a small risk (as noted in the article, something like an estimated .5%), but risk equals reward.

It's this kind of progressive thinking that got us to where we are today as humans. Why throw innovation away to please the bitching few? This is how we move forward with technology.

Any thoughts?

Ugly Bastard 11-22-2008 04:16 AM

Wow... that's some cutting-edge, progressive stuff. Amazing that they can be doing stuff like that while we can't even research on stem cells. Kind of makes me feel left behind as an American. :-/

SittinOnDubsWGW 11-22-2008 06:08 AM

Thats badass.

I completely agree with you guys on this one. Its hard to believe people bitch and moan so much about stem-cell research.

THEINCREDIBLEdork 11-22-2008 09:43 AM

I can see lots of potential for this in other areas of research as well.

DDTempest 11-22-2008 11:18 AM

So these are mostly ginger babies right? Hopefully they aren't risking any real children with this study.

DJ FC 11-22-2008 11:44 AM

I don't like it. At all. These are human beings and Irish citizens being intentionally put in danger. How can the Irish government allow this to happen to it's citizens? I bet if they took random homeless people off the street and asked them to participate in a study which will cause them a .5% chance of death they'd tell you to fuck off. The only difference is the babies can't do that...

Mr. Blonde 11-22-2008 12:42 PM

^^^is a ginger^^^

Ugly Bastard 11-22-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George W. Bush (Post 368280)
I don't like it.

User-name says it all... *rolls eyes*

DDTempest 11-22-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George W. Bush (Post 368280)
I don't like it. At all. These are human beings and Irish citizens being intentionally put in danger. How can the Irish government allow this to happen to it's citizens? I bet if they took random homeless people off the street and asked them to participate in a study which will cause them a .5% chance of death they'd tell you to fuck off. The only difference is the babies can't do that...

That was my initial reaction too; but then I read the article. Premature babies have issues with going into cardiac arrest from being OVER fed. If you took a random homeless person off the street and asked them to participate in a study which will cause them a .5% chance of death BUT WOULD OTHERWISE CAUSE THEM TO LIVE A HEALTHIER LIFE they'd probably not tell you to fuck off. This is a 1 in 200 hypothetical chance: THEY MADE THAT FIGURE UP as a guess but have experienced no deaths so far.

Still, I am glad they are performing this study on worthless ginger babies first.

Orgazmo 11-22-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDTempest (Post 368284)
That was my initial reaction too; but then I read the article. Premature babies have issues with going into cardiac arrest from being OVER fed. If you took a random homeless person off the street and asked them to participate in a study which will cause them a .5% chance of death BUT WOULD OTHERWISE CAUSE THEM TO LIVE A HEALTHIER LIFE they'd probably not tell you to fuck off. This is a 1 in 200 hypothetical chance: THEY MADE THAT FIGURE UP as a guess but have experienced no deaths so far.

Still, I am glad they are performing this study on worthless ginger babies first.

To be fair, it's not quite how you outlined it. One in 200 times the homeless man dies. The other 199 times, he lives...but is still homeless. Instead of glory for the homeless man, he becomes a Jesus figure, risking life for a greater good.

...but fuck it. Like the article said, these infants aren't going to have a good life either way. They're going to grow up in a government building, probably to hate life and become murderers or something. This program is starting their life off on the right foot, giving back to the community.

I mean, if they were taking kids that would otherwise be adopted, I may be opposed, but it talks about the adoption rate having to stay below a certain amount for the program to continue.

Test away, Irish. You're scientific pioneers.

Heaven Can Wait 11-22-2008 03:56 PM

I'm all for stem cell research, but testing on vulnerable people, be it babies, disabled, whatever, is wrong.
If it was a homeless person of sound mind then sure, but the government has no right to do this.
Also, I didn't read the article.

SittinOnDubsWGW 11-22-2008 05:17 PM

They also make guinness. Mmmmmmmmm. Testing on orphan babies... Brilliant!

DJ FC 11-22-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde (Post 368282)
^^^is a ginger^^^

Is not an Irish Ginger.

ninjaface 11-22-2008 10:10 PM

Forward-thinking research like this is what wins Nobel Prizes.

DDTempest 11-22-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaven Can Wait (Post 368299)
I'm all for stem cell research, but testing on vulnerable people, be it babies, disabled, whatever, is wrong.
If it was a homeless person of sound mind then sure, but the government has no right to do this.
Also, I didn't read the article.

Vulnerable people? Like cancer patients? Wouldn't want to test out methods to cure cancer would we. AIDS patients? Same.

Of course the argument is "those people can volunteer and have a say in the matter." True enough, but until a baby is born fully able to reason and communicate as an adult, research to save newborns will have to be done without the expressed consent of newborns.

Haha, you said homeless person of sound mind.

DDTempest 11-22-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George W. Bush (Post 368307)
Is not an Irish Ginger.

Where else do gingers come from?

DJ FC 11-23-2008 04:07 AM

Quote:

Scotland has the highest proportion of redheads, as 13 percent of the population has red hair and approximately 40 percent carries the recessive redhead gene.
Red hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DJ FC 11-23-2008 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaface (Post 368319)
Forward-thinking research like this is what wins Nobel Prizes.

It's also the first step to expiramenting on Jews during the Holocaust. Citizens should have rights. And I would hate to be a citizen of a nation that is willing to implicitly (almost explicitly) say that some citizens deserve more rights than others: that some citizens' lives aren't valuable. The Irish government, by allowing this, is destroying the value of the Irish citizenship.

Mr. Blonde 11-23-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George W. Bush (Post 368328)
The Irish government, by allowing this, is destroying the value of the Irish citizenship.

ahhhhh. you're just upset because this is where you were planning on moving because of Obama's presidency!

DJ FC 11-23-2008 03:30 PM

I was under the impression that the Irish were better than this...

Blonde, the red hair and leaving the country aside... you can't honestly stand for this kind of stuff can you? Would you like it if Obama started expiramenting on American babies?

Ugly Bastard 11-23-2008 03:47 PM

Honestly GWB... what's with the archaic argument here? I wouldn't have expected that out of you. Ever heard of "the ends justify the means". Just because this research is controversial doesn't mean it's bad. Think of how much it could wind up helping humanity in the long run.

Mr. Blonde 11-23-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George W. Bush (Post 368380)
Would you like it if Obama started expiramenting on American babies?

Are the babies in question ginger babies?

DJ FC 11-23-2008 04:03 PM

Why are you so afraid to be serious for a few seconds long enough to state your opinion on this research?

You're just like every other Obama supporter out there: no substance.

Mr. Blonde 11-23-2008 04:08 PM

was that worth a neg rep? feel better?

if you insist, i'll post seriously about this when i'm off work. god forbid you think i lack substance.

EDIT: actually, no i won't. Fuck you GWB. I would have totally tested on you as a baby.

Repugnant Abomination 11-23-2008 04:43 PM

Bwuahahaha! This is awesome.

Carry on.