Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Bastard
Not even a little bit? I mean, I might have been wrong to suggest that acceptance is the chief reason you choose to write, but it seems a little silly to me that you think acceptance is not even a slight contributor to why you choose to write. But I mean, whatever... how am I to know?
While I understand what you're saying and generally feel the same way myself, I think you have to be careful with statements like this. It's very easy to come across as a pompous, know-it-all prick to people who disagree with you. I don't, in any absolute sense, find anything wrong with someone who works their ass off so they can buy themselves a Ferrari. If that's what they want to do with their life, I say more power to them.
If I may try to speak for you for a moment, perhaps a better way of conveying idea you're trying to get across in the above quote is to say that: it's sad when people think that, in order to be accepted, they must work hard and buy nice stuff even if doing so goes against their instinct. To me, that is certainly not the case and anyone who thinks it is isn't doing humanity any favors in my view.
Also, fuck the French.
|
Perhaps on some level I write to gain acceptance - maybe it's the word acceptance I don't like though. It's like, I don't write for acceptance, but I do enjoy the acceptance (positive reaction) I get from people when I tell them it's what I do. Does that make sense?
It all comes down to priorities I guess. I like the idea of investing in myself as opposed to investing in things for myself, i.e. my education/intellectual endeavors over belongings. I might not have much to show for it - only my mind - but that's the most important thing in my opinion.
Of course, you can be an intellectual while still working a lot. I guess I feel like what some of you said - that work, most of the time, is a burden, so unless you're doing something you really love then it takes away from time you'd rather spend doing worthier things than making money.
You're right though in that this is just my opinion and I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, pompous asshole. Who am I to look down on someone for what they want out of life? I suppose, then, that everyone has their own personal truths, and they should follow the path of their own heart (no homo).
With that said, how can one be praised because they work so much, and then someone else be condemned because they don't work very much at all?