Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Always wanted to say that.
I feel like Huck Finn right now. Or tom sawyer. Whatever.
Haven't really been able to lock down a computer in the last few days, have just sent an email to my parents to let THEM know I'm still alive.
Full Moon Party was fucking incredible. 30k-plus people on a 1km beach, all painted up with neon and dancing to loud trance music. I met up with the guys from the Muay Thai school I'd trained at before the party... (let me just say that it's a really good thing I did, because this was the one event of my vacation where I would have been completely overwhelmed if I showed up alone.) Drank at the gym with people from all over the world... obv the thais who ran the school, also S. African, Swedish, Finnish, Russian, English, Aussie... OK not all over the world, no one from America. But we got drunk and smoked some weed (and it was really fucking good weed), I was drinking SamSong, which is Thai maybe-whiskey-maybe-rum.
We got to the party around midnight and it was just sensory overload. Like a club packed wall-to-wall, but on the beach. Everyone was drinking buckets, these little beach buckets filled with ice, and they pour bottles of vodka and mixers into them, and you have to always watch them pour so you don't get drugged. People all over the beach were fucked up the whole night, going swimming (not safe), making out in the sand, dancing oblivious to surroundings. The moon had this kind of hazy halo around it the whole night (tried to take a picture, didn't capture it.) On the east part of the beach there was this big hill with steps carved into the stone like something from middle earth. A few of us went up, there were a few floors with bars and on the top an ominous sign that said "SHAKES". For 500 baht (about $16, which was the same price as my bungalow on the beach) you got a mushroom shake, which actually didn't taste that bad. I had one, actually a little less than one because I shared some of it, some of the guys I was with had two and that got them pretty fucked up. To be honest I'm not sure if it affected me, I def. felt really good and very drunk, but it might have just been because I was at a sick party and I'd drank a lot.
My one regret is that I didn't stay until sunrise. Around 6:00 the people I was with decided to head back. At this point I should have said "Nice meeting you guys, I'm going to stay." After all I'd been traveling solo for 3 weeks, and I didn't need an entourage. But I decided to head back to the west part of the island with them, which is where my beach was. Maybe it's a good thing, FC would have felt very bad if he made the joke about my being dead and then found out I really was.
Unforgettable experience. In fact this whole vacation has been and I will put up a more detailed post when I get back. I've got about 500 pictures, and I'll put some up here as well (I'll spare you all the Angkor Wat photos.) My flight is tonight and I'm kind of depressed to be going back to faggy old london.
|