View Single Post
Unread 08-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
Ironic Mustache
G'd up from the feet up.
 
Ironic Mustache's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 7,146
Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pancake View Post
I'll go ahead and answer this anyway. DON'T EVER CONFUSE WHAT YOU'RE DOING IN LAW SCHOOL WITH WHAT LAWYERS DO. -----NEVER.

We don't do case briefs. You will do your last one probably this semester. After that you'll just start taking a few notes. Then when you get lazy, you'll write in the margins of the book.
Thank fucking god. With regard to briefs, I'm starting to move away from them already. I was under the impression (and told explicitly) that I would still need this skill later on. "Book briefing" is way more efficient. I'm assuming in the next few months I'll start exclusively just highlighting procedural history (if relevant), issue (if explicitly stated, if not, margin note), significant reasoning/cases cited, and holding. After that I'll write out the rule and be on my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pancake View Post
Being the lawyer is knowing what to do and when to do it.
Actually relevant to being a law student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pancake View Post
It's harder than it sounds. I get asked by individuals for a form for this or a form for that all of the time for people who are going to try to represent themselves. Sometimes it's like telling an engineer you want to build a suspension bridge and asking what kind of pencil you need to use.
This is why good lawyers get paid what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pancake View Post
And this thread should be moved over to the hall of fame.
Quoted for emphasis.

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote