Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgazmo
I think the point of the scenario is that we know nothing about the people tied to the trolley tracks. It's not about "maybe one is more important than another," but rather "would I rather be directly responsible for killing one person or stand by while X people are killed."
I contend that, since the only question is "stand by" or "pull the lever," you have total control of the situation with zero variables. It's an easy choice. Make sure the least amount of people (of which we know nothing in particular) die.
|
Got you, in the real world there are variables though, especially when programming a car for these scenarios.
If the queen were driving into a little girl vs a thug driving into a little girl for example.
If you know nothing of the people sometimes you're going to make a bad decision picking the majority.
I think the trolley problem only works if you are told they are identical clones, knowing who the people are is everything.