![]() |
|
|
#26 (permalink) |
|
Emperor Meow
|
I feel for you. And I am a nefarious procrastinator so giving you this unsolicited advice is completely hypocritical.
The CPA exams are completely unnecessary. They sound like another excuse to procrastinate. Getting a job should be #1. Having the CPA exams done before being employed doesn't give you anything extra. Employers aren't going to buy that you've been treating it as a full time job, because it's not. People study for the exam while they have a job. My brother got an accounting job right out of school. Also, I have a feeling your interview skills suck and you don't know how to sell yourself. Why not apply for some jobs you would never take just for the practice? Start with McDonald's. It will give you more confidence and experience for the real interviews. Getting a job offer feels good. Have you ever gotten one? Even from a fast food joint? There are a billion places with interview advice and their all good. Interview tactics may seem cheesy, but its what most interviewers are looking for despite that. That being said it seems like your parents are willing to continue to support you, and you're fortunate enough that you don't live at home. So you are actually taking an optimal approach, who wouldn't? This is exactly why if Roberto and I adopt a son, I will refuse to support him after some time after he graduated to kick his ass in gear. As my father did to me. Your parents are a little less selfish than me or mine. I wouldn't want to pull someone's weight after they are capable of pulling their own. |
|
#YOLO
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#27 (permalink) |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,147
Internets: 284753
|
I agree that having the exams passed isn't necessary, but it will help my chances of getting a job. Most places require you to get it done after a year or two of being hired. They would most likely take someone who has passed all of the exam over someone who hasn't taken a single section. This could be helpful when there are at least 10 people interviewing for every single position I've applied for (sometimes over 40 applicants). We are in a recession. Businesses are cutting back. People are losing their jobs. It's not a good time to be looking for a first job. Having passed the exams shows intelligence and hard work. They are not easy exams at all. I've learned more studying for them than I have during the entire course of my business degree.
My interview skills aren't that great, but I don't think they're horrible either. The main problem I have is that I get nervous/anxious and it makes me stutter and say the wrong things. I'm not going to apply for jobs at McDonald''s. I may go to a Toastmasters or some other interview workshop to hone in skills in this area. I have gotten several job offers in my life before. Some of them were pretty decent jobs for a college kid. Everyone in accounting knows that to pass an exam after studying for only a month means I'm putting in many hours of study per day. Those people that pass the exam while working a full time job? They probably spend months preparing. I'm trying to pass the whole god damn thing by February. My parents are fine with supporting me right now. I'm not a huge financial burden to them. I've suggested joining the army or navy and they do not want me to do that at all. They encourage me to pass the exams. I can't look for a job all day and study all day at the same time. If I want to pass these mother fuckers asap, I have to devote all my time to them. I do appreciate your advice/input. |
|
Last edited by Saint DH; 12-07-2011 at 11:51 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#29 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
Unemployed, or retired?
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Bookmarks |
|
|