Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Important Stuff > Rants

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2003, 12:58 AM   #151 (permalink)
Unwanted

Internets: -885
Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts
Catholics do not pray to Mary as if she were God. Prayer to Mary is memory of the great mysteries of our faith (Incarnation, Redemption through Christ in the rosary), praise to God for the wonderful things he has done in and through one of his creatures (Hail Mary) and intercession (second half of the Hail Mary). The latter is addressed to Mary not as to a vending machine but a support person helping us to discern the will of God in our lives. Mary is a volunteer, highly recommendable and recommended, but not a mandatory and inescapable passage.

So, yes, Pliedes, we do pray to Mary (and all the other saints) but God is always the most important. Certain saints are known for certain help, so you pray to them specifically. Some of these are very old but help to keep each Catholic's faith high. An example of this would be when some Catholic's either place a statue or bury a statue (I can't remember which) of Saint Peter? in their front yard when they are trying to sell their house.

Some people say that the Catholic church is very reminiscient of a cult but all the things we do we can back up with scripture, as most churches can. I'm finding out quickly that there is a wealth of information to be found about any religion under the sun, including Catholicism. Unfortunately, there is also a vast amount of anti-religion stuff out there. I typed in Anti-Catholic papers and found about 5,130 results. Some people can't be happy with just living their religion and letting other people live theirs. They have to go out and bash other religions and try to prove that theirs is the best. This is actually the complete opposite of what they are told. Most religions are taught to be accepting of differences but some people would go so far as that they don't have to accept other religions like Jews or Catholics. How hypocritical is that? If someone is all about hate, than there is no religion for them.

[ September 18, 2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Schroeder ]
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:09 AM   #152 (permalink)

Internets: 10
BrassMonkees is on a distinguished road
riddle me this schreoder, does the catholic faith acknowledge the bible as its source of truth? Or are there any other things added/taken away from it?

neither here nor there...
BrassMonkees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:10 AM   #153 (permalink)

Internets: 1608
Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future

So, is salvation through Jesus Christ the one and only way to heaven?
Pliedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:11 AM   #154 (permalink)

Titan is on a distinguished road

Due to extenuating circumstances that you don't want to know about and I don't want to tell you about, I, unfortunately, will not be participating in further conversation on this whole deal. I'm sorry if that flicks your trigger in the wrong direction. I've enjoyed this, thanks (I mean that).

[ September 18, 2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Titan ]

I do what the fuck I want.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:20 AM   #155 (permalink)

Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future Pliedes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan:
Due to extenuating circumstances that you don't want to know about and I don't want to tell you about, I, unfortunately, will not be participating in further conversation on this whole deal. I'm sorry if that flicks your trigger in the wrong direction. I've enjoyed this, thanks (I mean that).
Doublefairsexbear.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:53 AM   #156 (permalink)
Sex Kitten Milf fuuucck

Internets: 55974
BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Pliedes:

Schroeder, does the catholic church pray to the Virgin Mary? And remember we're not talking about just what you think, but the historical catholic church.[/QB]
Yes I know that I'm not schroeder however my g/f whom I've been with for quite sometime is catholic as well as her mother. What she more or less tells me is that they don't worship the virgin mary however they do pray to her to tell god things. The way they see it is that "who knows god better than his own mother?". Personally I disagree, if you want prayers answered than pray to god not to his mom.

There's life and then there is Cubs baseball, it's a chore to seperate the two.
BigDongedHoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:36 AM   #157 (permalink)

Internets: 306
StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via ICQ to StDx
Christ, can we just let this die? No one here is going to prove or disprove anyone else's religion so let it go.
StDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 12:04 PM   #158 (permalink)

We can't let it die until it accepts Jesus as it's saviour; we want this thread to go to heaven of course.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:46 PM   #159 (permalink)
Sex Kitten Milf fuuucck

Internets: 55974
BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute BigDongedHoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Schroeder:
Some people say that the Catholic church is very reminiscient of a cult but all the things we do we can back up with scripture.
Oh, is that so schroeder? So where in scripture can you back up the thought of purgatory? Catholics believe in purgatory because it's been tradition for 1500 years in the church. NOT because it's found in scripture, because you can't find it in scripture. What about limbo? limbo cannot be found in scripture, however it is a catholic belief because of how long it's traditionally been in scripture.

There's life and then there is Cubs baseball, it's a chore to seperate the two.
BigDongedHoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 02:09 PM   #160 (permalink)
Unwanted

Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts Schroeder is infamous around these parts
No, Catholics believe in Purgatory because of this passage:

1 Corinthians 3:13-15 is the key passage that has been used by Catholics in support of Purgatory:
"Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." (KJV)

This passage, of course, can be argued either way for or against the idea of Purgatory. However, BDH, do you ever pray for family members that have died or people that you know that have died?
Old 09-19-2003, 03:28 PM   #161 (permalink)

I know I don't pray for dead family members, you know why? They're dead. Their fate has already been decieded. Remember, sure. Honor, sure. But pray for them? Tis useless.

You think Jesus would've mentioned something as important as purgatory by name.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #162 (permalink)
Unwanted

Yeah, well, if everything was crystal clear in the bible, all Christians would have the same religion, and not all this quibbling.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:27 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quibbling? We're all asking serious religous questions.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:34 PM   #164 (permalink)
Unwanted

Okay then, if the bible was crystal clear about everything, there wouldn't be any serious religous questions to ask. All the questions would be set in stone with one definitive answer. But how boring would that be?
Old 09-19-2003, 09:36 PM   #165 (permalink)

BrassMonkees is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by BrassMonkees:
does the catholic faith acknowledge the bible as its source of truth? Or are there any other things added/taken away from it?
you never answered my question

neither here nor there...
BrassMonkees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:23 AM   #166 (permalink)

victim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Titan:
We can't let it die until it accepts Jesus as it's saviour; we want this thread to go to heaven of course.
It was inevitable, but it was hilarious. Nice work, Titan.

I don't think I want to get too involved with this argument at this point, as the battle lines have already been drawn, and all of you are too stalwart to listen and reason anymore. I'm not going to waste my time and start pushing if none of you are willing to budge.

get off my internet!!!
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 05:06 AM   #167 (permalink)

I'm always willing to change my mind, the reasoning just has to be there.

Please don't deny us your thoughts victim. I say that seriously.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:14 PM   #168 (permalink)
Ish...

silver and cold is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to silver and cold
I'll listen to what you have to say, victim.
And I'll even try to be open minded about it!

the killer in me is the killer in you.
silver and cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:28 PM   #169 (permalink)

I won't. Fuck open-mindedness, that only makes you smarter. Who wants to be smarter? That's right, nobody (that's quite apparent these days).

Old 09-22-2003, 09:05 PM   #170 (permalink)

victim is on a distinguished road
Erm. Thanks. I'll see what I can do when I can muster the time. I've got a large load of writing to do right now as is, and I really don't want to add much more... my current Nubblies endeavor is to complete my short story. Incidentally, it has some religious undertones that will probably piss off a few of you.

get off my internet!!!
victim is offline   Reply With Quote