Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Bastard
I like the idea of believing in a higher power and turning to that power in times of weakness in order to find strength and guidance.
|
Even if that higher power doesn't necessarily (or even likely) exist? It's a placebo effect that I really don't think you can take advantage of at this point in your intellectual development.
Quote:
|
I'm not about to become some moralist Bible-thumper, but I could see myself coming to identify with some level of faith and getting into a community church group or something that is really positive and doesn't condemn non-believers.
|
Slippery slope, my friend. By not condemning non-believers and "accepting all comers", they are giving validity to every viewpoint, which is simply not the case in reality. It opens one up to an almost false-trust, because they're not just going to let an open atheist hang out in their care groups for too long without converting him. I'm not saying it will happen to you, but by letting your defenses down to a group of people that one can eventually become emotionally attached to, one put themself at risk of being manipulated into believing something that, with their skeptical wits about them, they would never have believed.