View Single Post
Unread 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ironic Mustache
G'd up from the feet up.
 
Ironic Mustache's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 7,146
Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Golfing is a really great outdoor activity, and it's very rewarding if you get good at it. It's terribly frustrating if you're bad at it. I'd like to get better. I'm not terrible, but I could be a lot better. Consistency is key.
Golf works in the opposite way for me. Golf IS fantastic, but the better I got at it, the less rewarding it seemed to be. When you're bad at it, you don't really expect much so hitting a few good shots per round makes the whole day better. When you're good, hitting a few bad shots can ruin your day. I've never been amazing at golf, but I did play in high school and then worked at a course for about a year. During that time I got down to an official (registered) eleven handicap which is pretty god damned good (especially considering that when you primarily play with the pros who work at the course, you play from the pro tees, mulligans don't exist, and you can't ever fluff your lie). The course I worked at also leans toward the difficult side for the area. I played every day and took my game VERY seriously. When you start getting that competitive, even when you shoot under your handicap you start wondering about the shots that could have been better.

I stopped playing more than once or twice a year for about 5 years, and lost a lot of the precision and distance I once had. Now I'm about an eighteen handicap, and play around 8-10 times per year. Even though I'm now significantly worse, I have much more fun than I used to.

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote