Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > Reviews

Notices

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,698
Internets: 10
Titan is on a distinguished road

Post

Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute


<LI>Pre-script:
You wanna talk about getting no respect? This album. Right here buddy. Smushed in between the likes of your mother’s milk, a healthy dose of blood, sugar, sex and magik, some californicating, and oh by the way this album gets no respect. (Yes, that’s why my name is Titan, and yours is not). Phenominal singles off of this album don’t even touch what awaits at it’s core. After all the hard times the Peppers went through, it all came to a pisshault when Fruciante left the band. Then they really felt fuct. THANKFULLY Dave Nevarro’s funky, evil, wah pedal-enduced, blazing guitar style was there to help out, and in turn the Peppers were able to create one of the most beautiful and definitely poetic soundscapes to this day, and THE most emotional ride of music in RHCP history. Period.


<LI>01 - Warped 5:04
My tendency for dependency is offending me, it’s offending me. I’m pretending see to be strong and free. From my dependency... it’s warping me... *BAM* Yeah, great way to start off an album. This song kicks the proverbial mother fucking shit. A wonderfully odd and catchy rock beat topped with Kiedis’s slurredly timed smearing vocals, this track permeates throughout your head at a rapid and consistent pace. There is no maddening of music quite like this song, the sounds simply taunt your skull, and call it to rock.

<LI>02 - Aeroplane 4:45
How could anyone not like this song? It’s a classic, with the children’s chorus singing in the background of the last chorus, it’s got everything. Even a healthy dose of profanity. Who can forget: I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aeroplane, is my aeroplane. Song bird sweet and sour jane and music is my aeroplane, is my aeroplane. (Pleasure spiked with pain, that mother fucker’s always spiked with pain). The superfunky rhythms of Nevarro’s guitar and the intense bass slapping by Flea in the chorus, keep things grooving along. Absolutely nothing wrong with this song kids. Wonderfully emphasized vocals by Kiedis as usual.

<LI>03 - Deep Kick 6:33
Amazing. Simply amazing. No other way to describe it. This song gets my respect more than most. If you listen to this and don’t get chills when the poetic readings break into the triumphant chorus, there is seriously something wrong with you. Lots of things seemed futile then, but love and music can save us, and did, while the giant gray monster grew more poisoned and volatile around us, jaws clamping down, spewing ugly shit around, nothing is the same, so we keep moving... we keep moving. BAM into the chorus. God damn, I still get chills listening to that. If you have any ballz for music, you should download this and experience the wonder of pure unadulterated music can be. Two young brothers on a hovercraft. Telepathics love and belly laughs.

<LI>04 - My Friends 4:02
GOD MOTHERFUCKING DAMNIT!!! FUCK THE MOTHERFUCKING CRITIQUES!!! HOW CAN ANYONE, ANYONE SAY THAT THIS WAS RIGHTFULLY THE PEPPERS LEAST SUCCESSFUL ALBUM. HO-LY SHIT. AS IF THE FIRST FOUR SONGS OF THE ALBUM AREN’T ENOUGH TO DISPROVE THAT. OH MY GOD, CRITIQUES AND THE GENERAL POPULATION ARE SO MOTHER FUCKING STUPID. Anyway... If you can’t tell, this is a really good song. It was one of their singles, along with “Warped” and “Aeroplane”. Wanna talk about emotional? Yeah, this song right here folks. Everyone can tune in with this song, whether they care or know what it’s about or not, this songs pulls you in, full on. The beautiful guitar and beautiful singing are just damn beautiful. Even has a very cool solo in it. Beautiful. My friends are so depressed, I feel a question of your loneliness. Confide, ‘cuz I’ll be on your side, you knowI will, you know I will. X-girlfriend called me up, alone and desperate on the prison phone. They want to give her seven years, for being sad. I love all of you, hurt by the cold. So hard and lonely too, when you don’t know yourself.

<LI>05 - Coffee Shop 3:08
This one is a bit more difficult to get into than the previous, at least it was for me. But that’s only because I was so fixated on the ones I already heard and loved that I hardly gave the rest of the album a chance. This one’s got the hard funk goin’ on. It’s a bunch of craziness. This one is very singalongable, at least the chorus anyway. The verses sound very weird due to a pitchshifter on Kiedis’s voice. Meet me at the coffee shop, we can dance like Iggy Pop, another go in the parking lot, I’ll freak the cheek on your hot spot. Naughty, a very catchy chorus and an all around peppy song, it’s not pure musical, it’s pure fun.

<LI>06 - Pea 1:47
I’m a little pea, I love the sky and the trees. I’m a teeny tiny, little ant, checkin’ out this and that. And I am nothing, aahh, so you have nothing to hide. And I’m a pacifist, so I can fuck your shit up. Oh yeah I’m small. Oh yeah I’m sma-a-all. Fuck you asshole, you homophobic redneck dick. Big and tough and macho you can kick my ass. So fucking what? So fucking what? So fucking what? So fucking what? My anthem, don’t mess.

<LI>07 - One Big Mob 6:02
Starts off as one big crazy mess and then cohers into a fun and rocking chorus. Then we transverse into some of Kiedis’s skilled rapping prose. This only lasts for about a minute. Then we go into a slower, transcendental kind of blissful interlude that signifies that the Peppers have no qualms about shedding the skin of conventional song structure. Feeling every word that comes out of Kieidis’s mouth, and every slow conga hit that Chad Smith utters. I said transcendental already didn’t I? Then for the last minute and a half or so, we smash back into the chorus and rock our brains out untill they are splattered all over the fucking walls! Turn it up. Loud. One big mob, aw yeah aw yeah, one big mob, aw yeah aw yeah!

<LI>08 - Walkabout 5:07
Going on a walk? Pop this puppy in. It ain’t just a fancy title. This is the perfect, perfect poetic groove to a walk in the park. Relaxing, as Anthony spits out soothing knowledge, this is one of the few happier notes poignant on the album. I think I’ll go on a walkabout, find out what it’s all about. And that ain’t hard. Just me and m own two feet, in the heat, I got myself to meet. More wahful guitar, it definitely works on this track. Flea even adds some wah-ness to his bass it sounds like, and Chad Smith adds a nice simple beat that mates with Flea’s complex groove of a bass line. Walkabout to “Walkabout”. Try it, on campus, or in the pleasure of your own neighborhood, I don’t care, just get outside and do it.

<LI>09 - Tearjerker 4:19
Beautiful, beautiful, gut-wrenchingly beautiful. My favourite part is the outro with the violin that keeps hitting notes you don’t expect, and does an amazing job doing so, completely serene. Only after tonguegina noted what the song was about (Mr. Cobain) did it make any sense to me... I kept picturing this girl with dimples, pale blue eyes, and whiskers. It was more interesting and quite poetic, but not what Kiedis was going for. Now, along with “Transcending”, one of pliedes favourites after I finally pounded the shiste into his head. Although the chorus guitar reminds one of “My Friends” it is establishes it’s self far apart.

<LI>10 - One Hot Minute 6:23
Rock at it’s finest, what can I say? 6 minutes and 23 seconds of pure rock bliss. Complete with insanely hard bass slappage by Mr. Flea and exquisitely orchestrated transitions from verse to chorus, this song contains more rock that IU’s Geology building. A barely approachable pre-bridge is saved by Kiedis quietly singing. Three pounds of love inside my skull... And so on and so forth, hummings of guitar mimick whales in the background whilest we all wait for the shit to hit the fan. BAM. And into another chorus. But that’s not the best part. We’re entreated to a broken record of hard rock funk outroism at the end, that we all will surely join a cult to bang our heads into walls for.

<LI>11 - Falling Into Grace 3:48
Simple funk my friends. Carelessly free vocals by Kiedis topped with beautiful female harmonies on the chorus make a very peaceful and groovy atmosphere. This is just want the definition of groove funk should be. A very strangely ameldoic bridge dares you to try and sing along. Dave Nevarro wanks on his wah pedal along with Flea throughout the whole song, but the treat is definitely the melodies in the chorus. It’s a little repetitive, but some breaks help to chew up the monotiny. Great for singing along in large groups.

<LI>12 - Shallow Be Thy Game 4:33
I was not created in the likeness of a fraud, your Hell is something scary, I prefer a loving god. Superb. Such hard funk rock like I have never heard. A great hard rock rhythm to kick your friend too. So many rhythmic psychotises spewing throughout the song. Layers of insane guitar and a kickass drum beat fuel this song from beginning to end. A howling, scorching solo delivered by Nevarro, and quite possibly one of the best outros ever created by the Peppers. Man, fuck those idiots who think Nevarro on this album was shit. The only reason they say that is because the Peppers admit they couldn’t get on the same page as Dave, but fortunately for us, they did make this album. True and intelligent lyrics from Kiedis (as opposed to his illegible heartfelt ones). Download this and you shall rock my friend.

<LI>13 - Transcending 5:46
One of the best tracks ever by the Peppers, they excel at progressive tracks. Starts off with a freeflowing bass solo and in come the drums and guitar. This cool funk vibe continues for a while, with Kiedis and his true-to-life vocals and soft melodies. An interesting transition with Kiedis trying to hit some notes that he can’t exactly find (but do exist) and then POW! In come the screaching guitar and screaching Kiedis along with it. Rinse and repeat. Now something new once again, some heavy breathing overlayed on a building soundscape as the drums get louder and the guitars start SCREAMING along with Kiedis: Fuck the magazine, fuck the grade machine, see the human being, in a loving stream. Fuck the legal greed, fuck the nothing scene, see the family, in a loving stream.


<LI>Titan’s Ranking:
01. Transcending &lt;---- 10
02. My Friends
03. Deep Kick
04. Warped
05. Shallow Be Thy Game
06. Pea
07. Tearjerker &lt;---- 9.5
08. Aeroplane
09. One Hot Minute
10. Walkabout
11. Falling Into Grace
12. One Big Mob
13. Coffee Shop &lt;---- 7.5


<LI>Post-script / Titan’s Rating: 96%
Yep, kids, there is almost nothing wrong with this album. One of the Chili Peppers finest works to this date. My personal favourite by them because it contains the most amount of emotion and pure unadulterated emotinal thought process transformed into beautiful prose. I strongly suggest you check it out. You really need to download the whole fucking thing. Hell, if you have MSN Messenger I’ll fucking send you the tracks. I’m not exaggerating when I say that you are really, really, really, really really really missing out on a great musical experience whence not listening to this album. You’re missing out on what music can do when utilized by the right people. Please consume this album. But the remaining question that haunts us, why the minor portion of success? Nevarro. People unwilling to keep an open mind and try something new. Hence, having no lives.


Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright © 2002-∞ - Nubblies.net