Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Important Stuff > The Arts

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2003, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ugly Bastard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 13,643
Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Post

As many of you may already know, Norah Jones dominated the Grammys yesterday, by taking home eight awards.

I really fail to see what is so great about her music. It just seems so plain and boring, and kind of elevatory. Maybe some of you could enlighten me as to what makes her music good, because if that's all it takes to win eight Grammys, you'll probably see me on stage accepting awards next year.

-Ugly Bastard
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: right behind you
Posts: 931
Internets: 306
StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via ICQ to StDx
Post

I really like her. I think she sounds similar to an old blues woman, which is definately a plus. I also really like the way that something so far from most of the shit that comes out now can dominate.

what I don't understand: foo fighters winning under a "hard rock" category... "alternative" maybe, "pop" definately, but "hard rock" I think not.
StDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,698
Internets: 10
Titan is on a distinguished road

Post

Yeah, that whole hard rock category was fuctup.

Norah Jones... she's pretty cool, too bad for her she's getting all this hype that will disappear, well, now... and she'll just be the next Alicia Keys...

Anyway, she ain't no Fiona Apple. Beeotch.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
pliedes
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Post

Speaking of the grammy's.

I heard that Coldplay performed with the New York Philharmonic. Did this actually happen? If so, I want to know if anyone recorded this cause it sounds like something i definaetly want to see.

It seems like the grammy's aren't about how good your music is, just about how many records you can sell. It just seems like there is so much good music out there that gets past over...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ugly Bastard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 13,643
Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pliedes:
It seems like the grammy's aren't about how good your music is, just about how many records you can sell. It just seems like there is so much good music out there that gets past over...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No kidding! The Chili Peppers did not get a single nomination this year....not one. That's absurd.

-Ugly Bastard
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,063
Internets: 10
Combat Chuck is on a distinguished road
Post

Yeah, it's all about the people that vote, and the people that vote are all record company execs and such.

The Grammy's are just one big promotion for the music industry. I mean, seriously, I can see why some of the albums that were up for the awards could be there, but there were a crap load of albums that, as mentioned, didn't even get looked at. I really don't get it.

That's why I pay no attention to the Grammy's. But I do like Norah Jones, and I'm glad that she did get all the awards that she did, cause if Nelly had gotten any, I'd have clawed myself to death.
Combat Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,698
Internets: 10
Titan is on a distinguished road

Post

You're gay.

Glad to see I encouraged you to finally fix that.

And you joined the right side for that matter. I expected nothing less.




[This message has been edited by Titan (edited February 24, 2003).]
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: warsaw is where i\'m from, annapois is where i am
Posts: 136
Internets: 29
Me Gustan Nalgas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Me Gustan Nalgas
Post

I'm agree with pliedes and CC... Grammy's are a bunch of bull, but Nora Jones is legit. Not only does she actually writes her own music and plays an instrument, but she's walking a line that nobody else is really walking. I mean, who would have thought that a jazz/blues gal would be able to tear it up on the pop charts? Plus her voice is sexy as hell...
Me Gustan Nalgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,698
Internets: 10
Titan is on a distinguished road

Post

Please keep in mind that she's not tearing up the pop charts with her jazzy blues because it's the best thing in the world, or even the best jazzy blues in the world, but because the music industry needed something fresh, new and exciting to chew on, and spit out to the people, and her jazzy blues just happened to be their flavour of the year.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,063
Internets: 10
Combat Chuck is on a distinguished road
Post

Yeah, same as Alicia Keys was last year. Thing is, the music industry in and of itself needs to learn to stop fucking itself, and actually look past it's business practices. Music has just turned into a money making machine, devoid of all creativity or craftsmanship. I fucking hate the degeneration of the whole business, and the fact that they're trying to blame it on us, the listeners, who have already woken up to see the shit, and have taken steps in making sure that they don't dick us over anymore. Internet filesharing has singlehandedly saved the music industry's ass, cause if it wasn't for that, I'd have stopped caring about music a long time ago.
Combat Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,698
Internets: 10
Titan is on a distinguished road

Post

Thank you Professor Chuckory.

These nutmunchers don't know shit. They need to elect councils of fans to represent different genres, and make sure artists don't get fucked over and out.

I nominate Professor Chuckory for Chairman of the board in the "All things Soul Rock" category.

Er... department rather.

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited February 24, 2003).]
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
We still believe.
 
Niger Angelus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,697
Internets: 216
Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Niger Angelus
Post

Grammy's = Bullshit.
Niger Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,063
Internets: 10
Combat Chuck is on a distinguished road
Post

Nuff said. Right there.
Combat Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Orgazmo
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Not only does she actually writes her own music...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that is cool. It's also cool that her songwriter, Jesse Harris, got a Grammy for the song of the year. I always like seeing the writers behind the artists get recognized.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,063
Internets: 10
Combat Chuck is on a distinguished road
Post

Yeah, I also thought that I saw the writer of that song get the Grammy. So no, she doesn't write her own music. Or at least, she doesn't write her own popular music.
Combat Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
We still believe.
 
Niger Angelus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,697
Internets: 216
Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Niger Angelus
Post

I still thinks she sucks, her music sucks, and her songwriters suck. That is a lot of oral sex right there, just to get a Grammy that means nothing but shit. Those shows make me sick. The only one I like, sort of, is the Billboard Awards, why? Because they work mostly off sales. But yet, the shit that sells a lot, is mostly shit, shit.
Niger Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ugly Bastard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 13,643
Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Default

I realize this thread is long dead, but I just wanted to say that I recant all of my comments in this thread. I love Norah Jones for some weird reason now. I heard one of her songs at my cousin's graduation this weekend, and was like "why did I say I hate this shit...tis not all that bad".

I have since downloaded quite a few of her songs, and am "on the wagon".

I'm sorry for those of you who I have let-down with this post, but fuck you. Norah Jones kicks ass.

-Ugly Bastard
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright © 2002-∞ - Nubblies.net