View Single Post
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
ProfessorNumber
Senior Member
 
ProfessorNumber's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,215
Internets: 3373
ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I think most people on Nubblies know my position on the subject. That said, reading through Blonde's intellectually-stimulating Facebook brawl makes me lose faith in our generation.

Anytime a catastrophe of any nature occurs, money will be spent. It doesn't matter whether it's a small gang-related shoot-out, a big fucking hurricane, or your friend getting cancer.

The fundamental issue is where the money comes from to rectify the problem. I believe that most people would be more than willing to sell their neighbor's house to treat their child's cancer. We can talk about the common good all we want. Unfortunately, broad sweeping generalizations are not a very compelling way to make a point (despite how many I have already used in this post). I'm sure Vilfredo Pareto would love to take part in this discussion as well.

We can also debate the success, or lack thereof, European countries have had with socialized health care.

Smoke a cigarette and lie some more -- These conversations kill.
ProfessorNumber is offline   Reply With Quote