View Single Post
Unread 05-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #316 (permalink)
Mr. Blonde
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. Ego is a huge barrier to cooperative function.

I do not believe either of those affect the visual acuity, although it is possible that the chemical energy from ego and personality maintenance could be "re-routed" to the vision processing centers of the brain, I'm really just pulling that out of my ass as a wild speculation. That being said, the more one quiets their internal and external chatter through meditation, the more one has the freedom to notice their immediate environment

I would actually wager that something in psilocybin or psilocin itself affects the visual perception area of the brain and somehow either enhances it, or, as Aldous Huxley wrote:

Quote:
[E]ach one of us is potentially Mind at Large. But in so far as we are animals, our business at all costs is to survive. To make biological survival possible, Mind at Large has to be funneled through the reducing valve of the brain and nervous system. What comes out at the other end is a measly trickle of the kind of consciousness which will help us to stay alive on the surface of this particular planet.
This has been debated about whether this is actually what these chemicals are doing, but it's an okay analogy.

I had no idea about the concept of ego for most of my life (slacked in high school, probably should have taken AP Lit), something I'm rather embarrassed about as the simple introduction of the concept (which it seems to be a collection of negative social behaviors, ultimately)has helped me a lot.

In non-spiritual, biological terms, ego can be defined as the state of always (or mostly) thinking about oneself: their future, how to increase goods and supplies (money now adays but you can see how this could have evolved primitively), to have maximum sexual pleasure (driven by the subconscious/unconscious evolutionary and genetically-driven desire to impregnate another primate), and to have power (again, primate alpha-genetics). I consider all of these lower (primate) functions unless checked by the higher functions and executed from that realm.

Also if you are implying doubt with the quotation marks, take a few stems or a cap and go on a hike, no one who does this will be able to deny the fact of increased visual acuity. The first time I did this I saw a fucking single tiny ladybug and it looked like a jeweled mechanical godling.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna

Last edited by Mr. Blonde; 05-17-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote