Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Important Stuff > The Confessional/Advice Line

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Internets: -205
VOL is infamous around these parts VOL is infamous around these parts VOL is infamous around these parts
I recently was offered a job at one of the largest orthopaedic companies in the world as a temporary hire for no more than 2 years. The place where I am working is steadily growing and I am able to apply within the company for jobs at any point.

Now my dilemma, If I work first shift I would have to quit school for a while or at least this semester. I don't want this to bite me later if I do not get on full time.

If I work second shift I would not have a social life and I run the risk of burning myself out with school and work.

I need help and advice before I choose which shift I should work. Please help

~ductor ab grandis divinitus~ CDXXVII
VOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
DJ FC

For Shameful Transgressions
Hahahaha, Zimmer?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Internets: 6603
St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute
take the job, even though you'd only be a temporary hire, there's a good chance if you worked your ass off, you'd get to keep the job.

wait a second, why the fuck am i giving you advice vol? forget what i said and just kill yourself.
St. Anky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

VOL is infamous around these parts VOL is infamous around these parts VOL is infamous around these parts
I know I want the job, the dilemma is that if I take first shift then I would have to leave school for a while which I do not want to regret. If I take second shift I risk a burnout and failing at both opportunities and also I risk not having any social life. The question is not really whether or not to take the job it's what shift.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hard to believe that Anky's advice is the best so far.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
DJ FC

You never answered my question, VOL.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Internets: 284753
Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute
Stay in school.
Saint DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Internets: 6603
St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute St. Anky has a reputation beyond repute
you could stay in school, a smart choice. but then again, a college degree only adds up to so much anymore.
St. Anky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute
Couple of things. First, it's only a temp position, maybe they'll decide to keep you, but they might not. If they don't, you wasted a lot of time and you could have already graduated from college and started a career. Second, you can do a lot of things with a college degree, many doors open with one. If you get the right degree, you could get hired out of college by one of these large orthapedic corporations making 2-3 times more than the ammount you would make as a temp., and you would have the oppertunity for advancement (much faster than if you got hired after being a temp.).

Finally, a college degree only adds up to so much anymore? That's retarded. It adds up as much as you want it to. The possibilities with a good degree are endless. You could start your own business, go to grad school, and many other things.

[ February 01, 2005, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Dirty Harry ]
Old 02-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

So I give up my social life and work second shift, that's the only way I can stay in school for now.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Internets: 14
George Sherman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to George Sherman
do it man

...to abuse the testicles of the establishment.
George Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

or just say fuck Zimmer...
Old 02-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

its not Zimmer, its DePuy

Old 02-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
DJ FC

Jesus, finally he answers my question.

[ February 01, 2005, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: DJ FC ]
Old 02-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

I just want to be sure I choose wisely.

no social life and 2nd shift, or no school and 1st

Old 02-01-2005, 07:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by VOL:
So I give up my social life....
VOL...lets be serious here.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Dad works at Depuy and I would say that everytime I went to see him at work, it was boring as shit dude. So I wouldn't do it.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

I do have a social life Blondie. I chose second shift.

Advantages:

Voluntary weekends so I could have my social life on weekends.

Stay in school

Still on insurance

make money

Old 02-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

George it doesn't matter that it is boring, it's money at a great company.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ya dude but that would suck, especially if your working in the offices with assholes like my Dad.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

VOL, if you take this job, you will most likely never get a college degree, and end up living in Warsaw working at Zimmer your whole life.

If that is something you're fine with, take the job. If that doesn't sound too fun, I'd stay in school if I were you.

-Ugly Bastard
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by VOL:
I chose second shift.

Advantages:

Voluntary weekends so I could have my social life on weekends.

Stay in school

Still on insurance

make money

Old 02-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Yeah, I wonder how good your grades are going to be...
Old 02-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Well I was fortunate to only have class two days a week during the day.