![]() |
|
|
#76 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
I just watched this weeks episode and i'm ashamed to say I cried like a fucking baby. I can't remember the last time I was that emotional about anything, let alone a fucking TV show. This goddamn show.
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#79 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#80 (permalink) |
|
COME ON YOU YANKS
|
Listen, Blonde. There are many times during an average month when I could cry if I so desired. Things like Feel Good Sports Movies, Extreme Home Makeover, and Undercover Boss do this on the regular.
But actually losing control to the point of crying like a fucking baby? Absolutely unacceptable. (Unless you're watching The Notebook) |
|
|
|
|
|
#83 (permalink) |
|
Bokononist
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,595
Internets: 11801
|
My Dog Skip and My Girl are two of the very few things I've seen that have made me cry.
Books, on the other hand, can make me cry. |
|
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand." |vonnegut
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#85 (permalink) |
|
Ahoy Fuckbag
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,540
Internets: 187030
|
I cried after this scene when I was punched for laughing at the two old people crawling into bed and dying together. I also cried later that night when I got blue balled by the girl that forced me to watch it.
|
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#87 (permalink) |
|
Ahoy Fuckbag
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,540
Internets: 187030
|
|
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#88 (permalink) |
|
The Government
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 98
Internets: 1037
|
I gotta get this out before the season finale..
The MIB and Jacob are from the distant future where time/space travel is doable. MIB uses this power for evil, perhaps apocalyptic evil. In order to save humanity, Jacob is appointed to guard MIB on an island that is made to contain him in space/time. The island, Jacob, and MIB are sent back in time, ancient Egyptian time. Jacob orchestrates the destruction of the SWAN in order to create a sideways timeline, allowing humanity to continue without the impending catastrophe MIB will inevitably cause. Hmmmmmmm, thoughts? |
|
|
|
|
|
#89 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
doesn't explain their immortality
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#90 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#91 (permalink) |
|
Ahoy Fuckbag
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,540
Internets: 187030
|
So did Lost end terribly? I stopped watching years ago because I didn't want to follow something that was destined to end horribly or end at all.
So now that its over, knowing how it ended ... is it worth the watch? |
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#93 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
Just finished it myself. Couldn't DL the torrents till today. I think everyone is still a bit confused on the ending -- I am. I have a few theories and i'm debating on reading up on others' perception of events. I'm not sure what was "real", and what wasn't.
Regardless of how little the show makes sense at times, (which is the main thing that people like to bitch about, or jump on the bandwagon of bitching about even though they've seen only a couple episodes or heard about it from friends) they explained pretty much all of the little questions people had in last season or this. The main question (What is the Island?) never really gets answered I suppose, and I think they want to leave that open to everyones own interpretation. I personally think they did a pretty good job wrapping things up, given the nature of the show since it's inception. The part that I really got into, especially in the last few seasons, is the character development and the heartstrings this show is somehow able to pull. As i've already stated I get pretty emotional watching the show and its fairly surprising to see that happen, but I like it. I feel like i've known the characters for years, intimately, and in a way I pretty much have, seeing as how i've watched this show nonstop for 4+ years...it's probably more intense for the people who've been watching from the start. EDIT: also i don't know what it is about the soundtrack to that fucking show but michael giacchino is a fucking emotion factory |
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna Last edited by Mr. Blonde; 05-25-2010 at 09:37 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#94 (permalink) |
|
COME ON YOU YANKS
|
Ya, after watching the show with Tits, we both thought that the end, after-the-credits picture (of the wreckage with zero activity around) meant that they all died on the plane and the island was simply them wandering around as spirits not knowing wtf to do. After reading other peoples' theories, though, it seems that the prevailing thought is that everything that happened on the island was absolutely real, and that the island itself is absolutely real. Everything in flash sideways segments occurred after the person had died on the island and it was their spirit trying to make amends with the shit that troubled them during life (jack's daddy issues, kate's guilt for killing her dad, Sawyer trying to find Sawyer, Jin Vs. Sun's dad, John's paralysis...etc). So all of that shit was like a purgatory of sorts. The weird shit is that, for some reason, Desmond could switch consciousness between the two places. Because of this, he was the first one to realize wtf was going on and then started to find others in the purgatory place. By touching one another or an item from the island, they would remember all of their time on the island and realize that, even though they were fuck-asses in real life, their time on the island led them to develop as people to the point where everything in their life was settled and they were ready to cross over to the real afterlife. The end of the show was simply showing Jack's specific journey. He died after saving the island. The flash sideways that were going on were all actually occurring chronologically after he closed his eyes for the final time (final scene before credits). His dad told him that many had come before him and many would be after, some long after. This explains those that got off the island in the plane still showing up in the church. In short: My original theory was "hmm, they were dead the whole time". This other theory is a shitload more deep and really makes more sense, so I'm inclined to go with it. |
|
|
|
|
|
#95 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
i just talked with a friend who said the same thing about the island being real, although I didn't understand when it stopped being real and became a purgatory to go along with the side story. So when exactly did the Island (which I now also believe was an actual fucked up place on earth, that didnt' really get explained) go from being a real place, to being a purgatory? after they stopped pushing the button? or when they dropped the A-bomb? or when desmond took out the plug?
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#96 (permalink) |
|
COME ON YOU YANKS
|
I don't think it ever stopped being a real place and started being purgatory. I think the island is a fucked up place on earth on the show, and it still is right now. Once people die on the island, they go back to their normal lives and walk around trying to sew up their issues (the flash sideways shit). The fact that these flash sideways were shown alongside the action on the island as we watched the show is just them fucking with us. It really all happened after the person died on the island. In fact, we have no bearing on how the two timelines work together...except for the fact that they imply that Jack was the last person to tie up his loose ends (since everyone was already waiting for him in the church). In other words, even though he wasn't the last to die, those that left the island perhaps went on to live long lives after they returned...but then they died and immediately were ready to cross over. They all just waited for Jack so they could go together. More fucked up shit: Locke telling Jack that he doesn't have a son. The theory here is that he doesn't have a son...that, in his purgatory shit, Jack replaced the dog (his buddy) with a son. That's the significance of the dog laying beside him as he died. Not sure that makes sense, but I kinda like it anyway. But yeah, this all means that back Locke (man in black) and Jacob and all their bullshit was real and that the island just is magical. That when the island lost its power for a bit after Desmond did his thing, bad Locke became human again and Richard started aging. Personally, I don't like that because it's so supernatural and shit that it shouldn't be part of reality...but w/e. |
|
|
|
|
|
#97 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
That's a goddamn good theory. The "side by side flashbacks to fuck with us" thing makes total sense. I'll think of more stuff as I come around to it. It really is a lot to digest. I don't understand the Whitmoore mom and dad though...
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#98 (permalink) |
|
The Government
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 98
Internets: 1037
|
I would agree that the island and everything that happened on the island was real life. The only thing that wasn't real life was the sideways timeline, which was some type of timeless limbo holding place. I wouldn't put too much weight on the plane crash scene at the end, it was just a nice shot for the credits to roll to, also there were no bodies and footprints in the sand. If anything it seemed to say: "yes, the plane crashed and everything that happened on the island was real".
As for the island...I think it was the geographical "cork" that held heaven and hell, or good and evil, which ever you prefer. I think time travel and all the other weird shit was possible because of the supernatural powers of the good and bad lights. As for Jacob and the MIB, it seems that God empowered Jacob to guard the MIB, who was the devil (evil) incarnate; not allowing the MIB to kill him. God left a loophole in case Jacob became corrupt and needed to be killed, the MIB realized this loophole and set about to get someone capable of killing Jacob (Ben) to kill him. Jacob was aware of this loophole and that's why he was looking for a replacement. Since Jack was able to protect the light, everyone who helped him do so, was allowed to "move on" (back to the pure light) once everyone had died of their natural causes. That's why Ben, Michael, Walt, etc.. didn't get to move on, because they didn't help Jack protect the light. Basically being a huge metaphor of western religion: do good and go to heaven, work for the light go to the light. I think the subtle and most brilliant part of the finale was Hurley, the Dude, Buddah, being the final winner. Jack who was the obvious Christ-figure, dies but doesn't rise again, only moves on in the after life as equal as his friends, (something Christians won't realize) and Hurley is the new Jacob, only he isn't gonna run things like a Christian would (good and evil, blah blah blah) because Hurley is the most chill, laid back, dude ever. I think the real ending to the season was the triumph of The Dude. I thought it was a really interesting choice, to pick Hurley. Someone who was kind of always undecided, very neutral. And the kicker was that he chose Ben to help him, Ben the man who killed the one appointed by the philosophically western God. The finale seems to being saying "fuck you western religion, die: Hurley and Ben are gonna run things different. On a personal note: when Vincent laid down next to Jack, so he wouldn't have to die alone, I nearly lost it. Dogs are awesome like that. Anyway, thats how I see it. I'm sure I'm missing a lot. |
|
|
|
|
|
#99 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
"On a personal note: when Vincent laid down next to Jack, so he wouldn't have to die alone, I nearly lost it. Dogs are awesome like that." Oh man i lost it so many times this episode it's not even funny. Pretty much every time a character "remembered" at the very least welled up. |
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#100 (permalink) |
|
COME ON YOU YANKS
|
"On a personal note: when Vincent laid down next to Jack, so he wouldn't have to die alone, I nearly lost it. Dogs are awesome like that."
x3 on that. It's really amazing what a dog can do in an instance like that. If I were going to cry at Lost, it would have been there. Good call on the religion implications. Makes good sense and ties in nicely. |
|
|
|
![]() |
| Bookmarks |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| 'Lost World' Found in New Guinea Jungle | Mr. Blonde | News | 9 | 08-11-2009 09:51 AM |
| My harrowing tale of love lost and possibly found. | Repugnant Abomination | General Chat | 141 | 11-07-2008 04:37 PM |
| Chappelles Show...The Lost Episodes | Mr. Blonde | Reviews | 5 | 07-20-2006 08:44 PM |
| My harrowing tale of love lost forever | DJ FC | General Chat | 1 | 03-25-2006 07:27 PM |