![]() |
|
|
#1 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
Alright to all you folks who know a lot of technical information about computers, i could use some.
I've been talking about doing this for a while, but i'm actually serious about it now. I've had my comp. since freshman year, and I want it to get fast again, so my tentative plan is to have everything I want to keep on my computer, and transfer it to my roommates laptop, then format my computer, then install windows xp pro onto my computer, then put all the old stuff back. I have no idea how this works, or if it even will. I'm still planning on adding more memory soon, too, but I just have so much junk on here that I don't even want anymore. thoughts? EDIT: had to fix what was, a typo. [ September 28, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Blonde ] |
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#2 (permalink) | ||
|
Guest
Posts: n/a
|
Quote:
A clean install is nice to have from time to time. I suggest saving what you really need, formatting the drive and starting from scratch, just as your plan suggests. Just buy a copy of Windows XP Professional from BSU and go to town: http://www.bsu.edu/ucs/article/0,,19585--,00.html Quote:
| ||
|
|
|
#3 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
My roommate informed me, and I have heard this before, that reformatting your HD will not get rid of everything. I don't know why, but I guess it doesnt. He told me about this thing called D-Ban which supposedly wipes your HD clean of everything. Would that work more to waht I want it to?
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 (permalink) |
|
Guest
Posts: n/a
|
You worried about the FBI for some reason Blonde?
It's true that data is still recoverable from a formatted hard drive, but this process is expensive and should only be troublesome if you really need "emergency data destruction," as is touted by the website you linked. When you do a true format, you will effectively erase everything and have all your space back again. |
|
|
|
#5 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
I'm not worried about the FBI, i just want the random 12 gigabytes of shit that I don't even know what it is (i realize some of it is my current windows...) to be gone so it'll be a bit quicker.
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
Are we "bickering"? I don't see anything that even resembles arguing, let alone bickering. Your sense of humor has been horrid lately.
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 (permalink) |
|
English.
|
Formatting will not delete a 30mb partition thats needed to boot but with that aside it will delete all noticable shit.
Do you use Windows Washer? I'ts a very good tool for formatting, washing shit on your computer and also it cleans up space which seems to be empty. The formatting program on Windows Washer is much better than windows. |
|
there is little I wouldn't do for a dolphin.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 (permalink) | ||
|
Emperor Meow
|
Quote:
Quote:
| ||
|
#YOLO
|
|||
|
|
|
|
|
#13 (permalink) |
|
English.
|
LOL CAPSLOCK LOL LOL LOOK AT THIS USELESS POST LOL LOL LOL CAPSLOCK.
Would you explain what was nooby in my post? I was merely saying that Windows Washer is a better tool than D-Ban or manually formatting. LOL!!!!! -.- |
|
there is little I wouldn't do for a dolphin.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 (permalink) | |
|
Emperor Meow
|
heres one of the first links that comes up when i search for windows washer in google:
http://www.agentland.com/cgi-bin/rel...Agent/523.html Quote:
oh hey! look what i can do right from internet explorer! Maybe since I've figured this out I can start my own business "washing" computers! Hell I'll even wash your mouse too for free. Windows washer also has a formatting tool in which it over-writes your HD 10 times, this is cleverly called "bleaching." There is no point to this like DJ FC said unless your worried someone will try to recover your data. It his said though that it is possible to recover data even if you do this many many times. Hell if your harddrive gets burnt up in a fire you can send it to data recovery company. Companies like window washer take advantage of poor noobs like you. When you reformat your harddrive as far as youre concerned and most importantly, as far as your computer is concerned the data is gone and youre ready for a fresh start! LOL!!!1 | |
|
#YOLO
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#17 (permalink) |
|
English.
|
Any manually formatting gets rid of more crap than window washer?
Manually formatting does not delete the operating system which window washer does, and no of course you cant delete everything, where did i say this? 'It his said though that it is possible to recover data even if you do this many many times.' where is his said? Also Bleaching is used when it clears cookies and temp files not formatting, you honestly think that clicking ok will wipe the lot? bullshit. Im not saying that this program is worth paying for but its worth downloading because it can do maintenance shit much quicker than you can. Would you explain what is so bad about the program? I cant see much from your post thats putting window washer down, minus the obvious. |
|
there is little I wouldn't do for a dolphin.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#18 (permalink) |
|
Emperor Meow
|
oh
my god. This is the most stupid thing I could possibly spend my time arguing about. But since I enjoy hurting peoples feelings over the internet, and you seem to be taking this personally, and since it this easy to hurt your feelings... I will continue. I assure you, that manually formatting wipes everything, including your operating system off your hard drive. It has occured to me, that you obviously do not know how to format a hard drive, and you need to rely on a third party program to do simple Windows tasks such as erasing your cookies or formatting your harddrive for you. This is OK. But I could really give a fuck less about what fake terminology window washer makes up to describe clearing cookies and temp files. I assure you I can do "maintenance shit" faster than windows washer. Look at the picture above one more time. Wow, all in one menu there is an option to erase your cookies, temp files, and history. Embrace your noobness, do not be ashamed. Frankly I don't care what worthless programs you have running in your system tray. Knock yourself out and put windows washer on perminant press or full spin cycle or whatever. There is nothing bad about window washer, if youre comfortable living in ignorance. Fly high little birdie, but not to close to the sun. Don't try to argue with someone that obviously knows more about EVERYTHING than you. Look at my name, its not just there for looks. I rule. I am incredible. I am dork. |
|
#YOLO
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#19 (permalink) |
|
Level 20 Holothetan
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space
Posts: 5,245
Internets: 210144
|
It seems counter-intuitive to me. Get a program that takes up space so it can delete things that you can delete easily by yourself because you are trying to free up some space. Take dork's advice. dork is dork.
[ September 30, 2005, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: ninjaface ] |
|
|
|
|
|
#21 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
I realize. When I put in the new Windows XP Pro after It formats, will it just be running on Dos or what?
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24 (permalink) | |||
|
Poor Sport
|
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
| |||
|
|
|
|
|
#25 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
Ok, so I got my important stuff transferred off my computer last night. I was also getting drunk while I was waiting for that to finish, so after it did, I tried to format, and deleted a bunch of shit manually because it wouldt let me. Now my internet won't work (i'm on another computer), and all I want to do is format my C drive. It said that I can't for some reason cause i have programs running that are connected to the drive....which I tried to delete everything but...yeah. So how do I do this next step.
|
|
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.
― Terence McKenna |
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Bookmarks |
|
|