Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Important Stuff > The Confessional/Advice Line

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2004, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
1 thing leads to another.

Internets: -2654
AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts
I believe a few people invest...I know I was interested in Google until I read this:

#332 - Don't Buy Google
The Investment U E-Letter
Monday, April 26, 2004

Don't Buy Google
By Dr. Steve Sjuggerud
President, Investment U

With up to $100 million in investment banking fees on the line, you can bet you'll hear a lot about Google's upcoming IPO. You'll even get a chance to buy it. But please, for your own good, don't buy...

Morgan Stanley and CSFB, the two firms in line for the huge payout in investment banking fees, will likely shove this deal down our throats when it's finally available. It will sound irresistible. It will be one of the largest initial public offerings ever. And the hype around it will be similar to Netscape's IPO in the late 1990s, which kicked off the Internet boom.

You remember Netscape, right? Netscape was an Internet browser. I say was, because according to current statistics, Netscape has less than 1% of the browser market today. While Netscape may have led the way, Microsoft now dominates, with its Internet Explorer browser.

We all know that Microsoft lets someone else figure the business out, then Microsoft powers in and takes over. In the search-engine world, where Google operates, Microsoft is gearing up to compete. And the competition is already tight, with Yahoo!, Google and Microsoft in the top three spots. AOL is not far behind. (And then there's Ask Jeeves.)

Here are a few critical questions to ask yourself about the upcoming IPO - questions that could save you from falling prey to the hype...

The Questions We Need Answered

Can Google win the search engine wars? Maybe. With Yahoo! and Microsoft, the competition will be tough.

Can Google make an extraordinary profit? Most likely no, with such exceptional competition and a relatively homogenous product.

Can investors make any money in Google? No. The shares will most likely be priced richly. The shares will be valued with the most optimistic of targets. Any disappointment will lead to a big fall in share price.

Even worse, the founders of Google haven't shown themselves to be interested in maximizing shareholder value...

Google's Goofy Founders

Google is expected to have a market value of up to $25 billion, making this little Internet search engine a larger business than Nike or Sears. While most businesses are run to generate a profit, Google, it seems, hasn't been run this way...

Bloomberg news reported today that "Google Inc.'s hesitancy to undertake a public stock offering may be the result of a long-running battle for control between its two founders and the financiers who first backed the Internet search engine. The two founders, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, who own perhaps 40 percent of the company, could become billionaires several times over if they take it public, the Times said. Yet they are less interested in cashing out than in maintaining their ability to direct Google's strategy and style."

While one can respect the founders' wishes, this is business. They are competing with Microsoft and Yahoo!

Again, will Google be successful? Maybe. Will it make extraordinary profits? Probably not. Will it be a great stock to own? Most likely, no...

Use Google as a search engine if you like. But when shares are offered to you amidst a ton of hype during the IPO, don't get suckered...

3:o) horned creatures...wat wat
Unread 04-26-2004, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
DJ FC

For Shameful Transgressions
While it's true you should never get suckered, I fail to see how owning stock in Google could be ruled off as a bad investment so quickly.

First and foremost: the price of the stock will not necessarily be priced richly. You must understand that the vast majority of sales of securities is still organizations, not your dinky little personal investor looking to make a profit playing the market. These organizations know the company inside and out before buying an IPO, while there are exceptions (the internet bubble of the 90s), large institutions are usually very cautions about becomming "irrationally exhuberant."

Google's competition is meaningless. Last time I saw the statistics, google has roughly 75% of all search engine traffic, such a large number that the government was looking into regulating it as a public utility. No newcommer, or even established internet company is going to push them off this edge, at least not very quickly anyways.

Quote:
While most business are run to generate a profit, Google, it seams, hasn't been run this way...
Are you kidding me? Google is very profitable, in the same way that Yahoo is profitable; you don't have to be selling a product to become a cash cow.
Unread 04-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
1 thing leads to another.

Internets: -2654
AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts AcTivE is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ FC:
While it's true you should never get suckered, I fail to see how owning stock in Google could be ruled off as a bad investment so quickly.

First and foremost: the price of the stock will not necessarily be priced richly. You must understand that the vast majority of sales of securities is still organizations, not your dinky little personal investor looking to make a profit playing the market. These organizations know the company inside and out before buying an IPO, while there are exceptions (the internet bubble of the 90s), large institutions are usually very cautions about becomming "irrationally exhuberant."

Google's competition is meaningless. Last time I saw the statistics, google has roughly 75% of all search engine traffic, such a large number that the government was looking into regulating it as a public utility. No newcommer, or even established internet company is going to push them off this edge, at least not very quickly anyways.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />While most business are run to generate a profit, Google, it seams, hasn't been run this way...
Are you kidding me? Google is very profitable, in the same way that Yahoo is profitable; you don't have to be selling a product to become a cash cow.</font>[/quote]Google doesn't have 75% of the search market. Recently Yahoo dumped them, that lost them a lot. The ones they have listed as competing--make up an almost equal market.

And the different thing about all those is that it's more of a startup type page approach...they get a LOT of revenue from that type of stuff. There are also a lot of 'Yahoo' type product and services being offered (such as domain registration and hosting)

I thought Google was badass...but since then I've read a few articles. They have some revolutionary search engine technology, but I don't think that's going to carry them...

[ April 26, 2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: AcTivE ]

3:o) horned creatures...wat wat
Unread 03-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
I make bad decisions.

Internets: 108015
SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SittinOnDubsWGW

I LOL'd when I saw this thread at the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page when reading the foreclosed homes thread. When it was posted google was about to go public at $85 bucks a share. Current price is $330.

Google sets price at $85, stock expected to trade Thursday - Aug. 19, 2004

GOOG: Summary for Google Inc. - Yahoo! Finance

Last edited by SittinOnDubsWGW; 03-21-2009 at 09:48 AM.
SittinOnDubsWGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Yea and it's been up above 600 before too. Obviously buying GOOG at it's IPO was a great investment just like buying it now is probably a decent one too.
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
*Dislikes ham

Internets: 60790
vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute vaga1220 has a reputation beyond repute

Active fails so hard at making money.

Putting the sensual in non-consensual.
vaga1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

To be fair, it happened to GWB too, with TheTrain guy running an himself on him.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 250185
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
To be fair, it happened to GWB too, with TheTrain guy running an himself on him.
Wait a second,

last time I checked google's stock is lower now than when I got into the argument w/ TheTrain. Granted most stocks are lower, but I don't think I was wrong when I was saying that the market caps implied by the $500/share price were a tad too high for Google.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gangnam Style

Internets: 213510
f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute

If you compared it to the S&P 500, by percentage, you'd have your answer.
f3lix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W. Bush View Post
Wait a second,

last time I checked google's stock is lower now than when I got into the argument w/ TheTrain. Granted most stocks are lower, but I don't think I was wrong when I was saying that the market caps implied by the $500/share price were a tad too high for Google.
Look at your own last post in that thread.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
MURICAN

Internets: 250185
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3lix View Post
If you compared it to the S&P 500, by percentage, you'd have your answer.
But a lot of companies in the S&P 500 have the same argument...

In fact lots of stocks were overvalued.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote