Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Important Stuff > The Confessional/Advice Line

Notices

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Emperor Meow
 
THEINCREDIBLEdork's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,350
Internets: 290966
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork
Default Saving for retirement

For those of you with jobs/income, are you saving for retirement yet? What percentage of your income?

What should I do with my savings? I'll do whatever you guys tell me. I'm thinking of not saving anything and making sure I die before retirement.

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS
 
Orgazmo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 15,726
Internets: 311447
Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo
Default

I did when I had a real job. About 10% went into a 401k.
Orgazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ugly Bastard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 13,643
Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEINCREDIBLEdork View Post
I'm thinking of not saving anything and making sure I die before retirement.
Props. This is my plan. Retirement is for squares.
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Emperor Meow
 
THEINCREDIBLEdork's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,350
Internets: 290966
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgazmo View Post
I did when I had a real job. About 10% went into a 401k.
Yes, I should have been more specific. 401(k)s or some variation of a retirement plan. Is Orgazmo the only one that has started a nestegg? Or have you spent all your monies on the fast life and pageantry?

How bad did the market hit you Orgazmosan?

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS
 
Orgazmo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 15,726
Internets: 311447
Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo
Default

Not too badly. I mean, it's not like I have any real amount of money in there. It's < 5 figures. I lost a bit...but it's come back for the most part. Honestly, I spend 0 time thinking about it. I should probably be a little more proactive with it even though I don't have any formal contributions going toward it.
Orgazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ahoy Fuckbag
 
DDTempest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,540
Internets: 187030
DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute DDTempest has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I have a 401k going through my work. They match the the first 2% I put in roughly $3 to $1 and then I would raise it by 1% every time I got a raise until they cut our over time. I was at 7% but dropped it back down to the 2% that they match.

You basically want to dump money into it and forget about it for the next forty years or so, the more you contribute earlier the better off you are in the long run.

You should look into Roth IRAs, I could be wrong but the interest you earned isn't taxed when you take it out like a 401k and allegedly you can withdrawal your principle at any time without paying a penalty.

Quote:
You often seem to think that the lowest-hanging-fruit makes you some sort of comedy genius. You're just not a good person. You're spiteful, constantly negative, and bring others down to make yourself feel better. I just don't have room for that.
DDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ugly Bastard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 13,643
Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTempest View Post
You basically want to dump money into it and forget about it for the next forty years or so, the more you contribute earlier the better off you are in the long run.
This is sort of the old guard mentality. I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that you can't necessarily expect a ton of economic growth over the next forty years, at least not in this country. We've set ourselves up nicely for years upon years of 0-2% economic growth just like Japan has had for the past decade-plus. There have been points throughout human history where economic growth slowed, stopped or even reversed for centuries! For the record, I'm not saying that saving money is a bad idea. Just saying that investing in American securities and expecting to be loaded by the time you're 60 might have worked for our Grandparents but very likely might not work for us.
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
I make bad decisions.
 
SittinOnDubsWGW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Desert
Posts: 3,018
Internets: 108015
SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute SittinOnDubsWGW has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SittinOnDubsWGW
Default

Agency matches up to 5%, I contribute 7% right now.

Similar setiments as above, I don't contribute that much to my retirement, because I really don't expect to live that long.
SittinOnDubsWGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poor Sport
 
Beebs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Indianapolis / Middlebury / Long Lake
Posts: 5,306
Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEINCREDIBLEdork View Post
I'm thinking of not saving anything and making sure I die before retirement.
Not a bad plan, Ive got just about all the mortality table high risk indicators going for me
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 02:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gangnam Style
 
f3lix's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DH's Massage Parlor
Posts: 6,383
Internets: 213510
f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute f3lix has a reputation beyond repute

For Shameful Transgressions
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTempest View Post
You should look into Roth IRAs, I could be wrong but the interest you earned isn't taxed when you take it out like a 401k and allegedly you can withdrawal your principle at any time without paying a penalty.
I have one of these and put the max in yearly (currently the max is $6k.) Any way I can dodge paying taxes, I'll do it.
f3lix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
MURICAN
 
DJ FC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,136
Internets: 253094
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
For Shameful Transgressions
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC
Default

I dont have many investments yet, but I plan on buying a condo in Chicago soon. I think ideally I'd like to own some property and rent it out for retirement.


The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ugly Bastard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 13,643
Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Default

Moving back to Chicago?
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
MURICAN
 
DJ FC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,136
Internets: 253094
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
For Shameful Transgressions
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC
Default

No just buying property there.


The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Level 20 Holothetan
 
ninjaface's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space
Posts: 5,245
Internets: 210144
ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute ninjaface has a reputation beyond repute

Default

I'm sure the rent for whatever you're looking into buying will be beyond my means, but when you get some solid info, hit me up anyway.
ninjaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lost in Hilbert Spice
 
Dent's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Surrounded by knaves and fools
Posts: 3,520
Internets: 183146
Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute Dent has a reputation beyond repute
Default

contributing 5.5%, government puts 13.something%
I very much doubt i'd put into a pension if it wasn't a hugely secure business, or one that didn't contribute much.
Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 02:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
MURICAN
 
DJ FC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,136
Internets: 253094
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
For Shameful Transgressions
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaface View Post
I'm sure the rent for whatever you're looking into buying will be beyond my means, but when you get some solid info, hit me up anyway.
Well it could be significantly less if we cut out the middleman (property manager).


The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright © 2002-∞ - Nubblies.net