Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > News

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
DJ FC

For Shameful Transgressions
Cherish it before the liberal fags completely take away all our joys:

Cull of 300,000 baby seals begins

Thousands of commercial hunters armed with clubs, rifles and spears moved on to the ice floes off eastern Canada today to kill more than 300,0000 baby seals for their pelts over the next few weeks.
The spring hunt, which began yesterday, is expected to bring the area's coastal communities some £8.5m, but has been condemned by animal rights activists as barbaric.

This year's hunt is the third large-scale cull since the Canadian government decided in 2003 to allow almost a million seals to be culled over three years.

The move dismayed the anti-seal hunting movement, which has been going since the 1960s. Campaigners won major successes in the 1970s and 1980s to significantly reduce the scale of the hunt after convincing the US and EU to ban the import of pelts from young seals.
But last year's hunt was the biggest cull for more than 50 years. More than 300,000 baby seals were killed and a similar amount are expected to be culled this year by May 15, when the government's three-year plan ends.

The recent increases in the scale of the cull come at a time when demand for fur clothing has been rising.

The spring hunt starts around two weeks after many seal pups are born. Animal rights activists say the pups are clubbed to death and often skinned alive. Seal hunters and government officials who monitor the hunt insist the pups die instantly, under strict guidelines, including a ban on killing a seal pup less than 12 days old.

One campaigner, Rebecca Aldworth, of the Humane Society of the United States, is in the area to film the cull, posting footage on protectseals.org.

Speaking from the Gulf of St Lawrence, where the spring cull begins, Ms Aldworth, who has observed the seal hunt for the past six years, said yesterday: "It's just horrific out there. There is blood all across the ice and seal carcasses as far as the eye can see." Regulations require that hunters ensure the seals are dead before moving on, but Ms Aldworth said she had listened to some seals crying for their mothers, which give birth on the ice floes every spring. She said: "We've seen seals that were moving around and breathing, that have been left in these piles, some left conscious and crawling."

She claimed there were some 70 fishing boats in the area where she was filming but there were no government officials to check whether the seals were being properly killed.

Michel Therien, a spokesman for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, disputed Ms Aldworth's account. He said there were two large Coast Guard vessels in the region and one fisheries officer for every seven or eight commercial vessels. "I presume they can't be in all the places, all the times, but we encourage the public to report any illegal activities, for sure," Mr Therien said.

He said fishermen needed to supplement their income, with many fishing families only earning £500 a year from their catches of snow crabs, lobster or cod. "They have to live on whatever they're capable of catching," said Mr Therien. "The seal fisheries is part of their livelihood."

The government argues that the hunt brings in badly needed income to coastal communities, primarily from pelt sales to Norway, Denmark and China. The DFO argues the country's seal population is "healthy and abundant", and notes that there are an estimated 5 million harp seals, nearly the highest level ever recorded and almost triple what it was in the 1970s. Fishermen participating in the hunt also blame seals for the devastation of Canada's fish stocks, in particular cod, and argue a cull is necessary.

However, a recent report by the International Fund for Animal Welfare said the harvest of up to 975,000 seals will damage the marine mammal population. "Any pretence of a scientifically based ... hunt has been abandoned and Canada's commercial seal hunt has become - quite simply - a cull, designed more to achieve short-term political objectives than those of a biologically sustainable hunt," the report said.

Aboriginal and Inuit subsistence and commercial hunters begin the first part of the cull on November 15 in Canada's vast expanse of frozen Northern waters, which reach from the Yukon Territories near Alaska through the Arctic Ocean and down into the North Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Labrador. After starting in the Gulf of St Lawrence, the spring part of the commercial hunt moves to the Front, an arc of the Atlantic Ocean sweeping out about 30 to 40 miles from Newfoundland.

[ March 30, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: DJ FC ]
Unread 03-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Internets: 305662
Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo
What did the seals ever do for me?

That's what I thought.

Fuck them.

Club on, poachers.
Orgazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Internets: 10
sim_flex_x is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sim_flex_x
that's horrible
sim_flex_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 278288
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
"And then Timmy pulled out his twin Glock 9's and said 'SEE YOU IN HELL, SEAL!!!'"

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Internets: 247330
Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope shit like this doesn't result in seals going extinct. I'd like my children to read news articles just like this one someday.

-Ugly Bastard
Ugly Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Internets: 284753
Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute
There is a video on Nubblies, probably the kick ass video of the day thread, where it shows hunters going around with those clubs killing the baby seals.

Personally I think this is horrible and I hope each and everyone of the hunters' families are raped, murdered, and raped again, in that order, while they are gone killing the poor little seals.
Saint DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
DJ FC

How is this any different from killing any other animal?

Before you answer this you allready know the correct answer that you wont give, the answer that nobody gives:

You don't want to kill seals because you think they are cute.

Nobody objects to killing ugly animals, but cute animals are somehow supposed to be protected, I think its rediculous; and if I were a bitch I'd get a fucking baby seal fur coat.
Unread 03-30-2005, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute Ugly Bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's about the use, FC.

Like, I don't see anything wrong with slaughtering cows and pigs and chickens, because they are a very important component to the diet of most people in the world.

Seals? No one eats seals. They just use their skin for shit like coats. We don't need the coats we use the seals' skin for, so it seems a little barbaric and pointless to me.

-Ugly Bastard
Unread 03-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Basically, it comes down to this:

There are beautiful creatures living in Northern Canada minding their own business. Why they are a part of this world is beyond me - but they are - and honestly, I like it. Why should we destroy their existance just so a few rich fucks can have an expensive coat?

-Ugly Bastard
Unread 03-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute
You shouldn't kill seals because 1, it's unethical. You dont kill just to kill. 2, it would cause a chain reaction to other creatures and the entire habitat. Seals mark up a large part of several other animals diets, and seals own diet helps keep smaller animals populations in check. If you take one out of the equation is unbalances everything.

-And that's my post.
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache
what about cats?

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
DJ FC

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugly Bastard:
Why should we destroy their existance just so a few rich fucks can have an expensive coat?

-Ugly Bastard
Because that's what the rich fucks want. I know most people don't have the firm belief in economic freedom that I do, actually I don't know a single peer of mine who does, but letting people have what they want; so long as it doesn't impost a greater cause to society, is always in my oppinion the best policy.

Do these coats present a great cost to society? Yes. Because fucks worry about them too much, and the enjoyment of those who wear them doesn't outweigh the 'anguish' of those who worry about the 'cute little animals.'

The solution is simple: convince the worriers to stop worrying. As long as these things have value, they shouldn't become extinct. With legislature that allows (note: this is very hard to do in a backwards political system) seal 'farming' they will never go extinct. These cute lil guys will always be around so long as they provide value (people enjoy looking at them). But stop worrying people... you like eating good food. You like eating meat (vegans should be murdered for being stupid), you even like exotic meats like veal who endured situations which were 'unnatural' just for your extra enjoyment. They are brute beasts. Please stop worrying.

Is it practical? Absolutely not. There will always be a liberal left to oppose the more economically savy right. But I'll stick to my guns til the grave.
Unread 03-30-2005, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Almost there...

Internets: 161638
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Ironic Mustache:
what about cats?
I hate you...

-And that's my post.
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
pwn3d!111!onewon

Unread 03-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Unread 03-30-2005, 07:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo
That's a full grown seal. You're allowed to kill them.
Unread 03-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

At least those people will have nice coats. Phew!!

-Ugly Bastard

[ March 30, 2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Ugly Bastard ]
Unread 03-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
DJ FC

Life is ugly, Ugly Bastard.

You should see what they do to cows to make veal, but guess what I'm still going to love it and eat it. Don't worry.
Unread 03-30-2005, 08:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Internets: 284753
Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, it's really awful if you ask me. I'd argue some points here, but really Ugly hit them pretty much square on the head. Fur coats aren't necessary. Shit, I'm sure we could make some other type of coat, price it up really fucking high, and the rich people would buy it and be just as happy. The only reason they want an expensive fur coat is because it's expensive. I hate rich people, they're so fucking stupid.
Saint DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Internets: 306
StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via ICQ to StDx
necessary?
that's a slippery slope. what is really necessary? is it necessary to eat beef, chicken, or any other meat? not really, but most of us do anyway. is it necessary to use leather to make shoes, coats, gloves like we do? not really, but we do it anyway. basically, don't pass judgement until you clean up your own backyard.
StDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 09:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

This is how I see it:

I'm not a proponent of needlessly skinning living seal pups. That said, neither are a vast majority of those participating in this hunt. Because of that, I don't have a problem with it.

I think the reason that most of you do have a problem is that you've seen a few pictures of seals with the shit beaten out of them. You've heard stories of people ruthlessly destroying newborn seals' lives with simple clubs. And, along with this, of course, you think that the seals are used only for coats...and you have no use for a coat made from seal fur.

Read this. It dispels some of the myths propogated by animal activists.

[ March 30, 2005, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Orgazmo ]
Unread 03-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough StDx is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironic Mustache:
what about cats?
Read This

I'm all for it.
Unread 03-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Orgazmo:
Read this. It dispels some of the myths propogated by animal activists.
I read that and then immediately went to ebay and made a bid on this:

We be clubbin'

Unread 03-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

that's a beaut, but I'd like my first couple legal cat kills to be with my bare hands. every morning there are two of them on my front porch... if they don't give them a season soon, I'm gonna have to resort to poison.
Unread 03-30-2005, 09:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Oh caaaaaats. I thought you meant there were two seals.

If they were two of these kind of seals, I would have started years ago:

[ March 30, 2005, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Orgazmo ]