![]() |
|
|
#39 (permalink) |
|
COME ON YOU YANKS
|
I loved the ending.
I also love the dire wolves. I think it's because there were "Dire Wolves" in Ultima Online back when I was a real homonerd. I hope that these wolves have special powers when they grow up. Can someone tell me wtf the blue eyed things were at the beginning? |
|
|
|
|
|
#40 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
The direwolves don't have special powers, but they grow to be fucking huge and awesome. Like, rip-people-to-fucking-shreds-in-battle awesome. So you have that to look forward to. I reckon they will only continue to use real dogs for the next 3-4 episodes before they have to resort to CGI. Each wolf is basically a constant intimidating sidekick to each child. This causes problems for some people later on.
They also didn't explain that there was some vague "prophecy" mentioned when they stumble upon the direwolf killed by a stag (they actually only mention it once in the book). I also don't remember them actually finding a dead stag in the book, just the antler. As you may have picked up from the episodes, the Stag is the symbol of House Baratheon (the fat guy who is currently king) and the Direwolf is the symbol of House Stark. Take that as you will. The blue-eyed things are called "White-walkers" or "Others" -- really dangerous dark magical demony guys. As you saw from the beginning, pretty terrifying. I can't remember exactly what they are and am any case not going to go into it for spoilers, but I can give you a basic overview of The Wall: The Wall is made almost completely out of huge fucking ice blocks. It was established thousands of years ago in Northern Westeros as a sort of border patrol fence to keep the "Others" out, they talk about vague battles of the past but they pretty much leave it at that. The Wall used to be a station where the bravest and most badass soldiers spent their time keeping the rest of the people of Westeros safe. After millennia of not having seen any White Walkers, the Wall has degenerated to being broken down and mostly filled with criminals and misfits sentenced there as a way to "reclaim family honor" by civic duty. There are also "Wildlings" -- savage humans who live North of the wall and are pretty much the same as regular humans but looked at as kind of dangerous pariahs. That was who you saw slaughtered in the first 5 minutes. They don't come into play much until a long ways into the series, though. |
|
Last edited by Mr. Blonde; 04-19-2011 at 08:46 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#41 (permalink) |
|
Emperor Meow
|
not going to read any of that you spoiling piece of shit
You've been hyping this show for months now, if you want to have discussion about it on nubblies (i.e. anyone reads this thread) there need to be some ground rules... such as only talking about things relevant to only what we've seen so far on the show. |
|
#YOLO
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#42 (permalink) |
|
Spice Master
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 17,969
Internets: 284106
|
Gaz asked, I answered. I put them in spoiler tags, though --but I really don't think I gave out any spoilers. I just said what certain things are. At this point in the book (from what we've seen on the show), they've already explained what the things are. So technically, from a storytelling point of view, they shouldn't actually be spoilers.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#43 (permalink) |
|
COME ON YOU YANKS
|
Ya, I read the whole response and didn't feel like anything was spoiled.
Except for MY FUCKING HOPES AND DREAMS THAT THE DIRE WOLVES WOULD EVENTUALLY SHOOT LASER FIREBALLS FROM THEIR ASSHOLES...but perhaps that's not feasible anyway. Agreed that this thread should probably only discuss the television show, though (in terms of plot development, not back stories that may be omitted from the show). I mean, I think Blonde is the only one that read the book, so it shouldn't be an issue anyway. |
|
|
|
|
|
#48 (permalink) | |||
|
COME ON YOU YANKS
|
Quote:
So, when I ask Quote:
Quote:
Just making sure we're all on the same page going forward. By the way: I only know two characters: The fat king's 2nd in charge & the badass with long hair. I guess I know the badass' bitch and her brother too, but they don't seem relevant yet. | |||
|
|
|
![]() |
| Bookmarks |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| New Game Console comes into the Mix! | Demitri | Reviews | 43 | 01-25-2003 03:46 AM |