Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
DJ FC

For Shameful Transgressions
For the first Kick Ass Invention of the Day, I would like to honor an amazing device that works quietly and consistantly in the background. This device has made our lives considerably easier with little respect:

Kick Ass Invention of the Day 4/7/05
The Ice Maker

Always there with ice for your drinks, and practically no maintenece needed. What's more, this invention 'fuels' itself with a permanent connection to a water source. The ice maker is appreciated by even the laziest people. Off the top of my head I can think of no invention that provides so much, while requiring less human interaction. When you want to make your drinks cold, grab some ice... it's always there!
Old 04-07-2005, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Internets: 10
God's Substitute is on a distinguished road
that's not a bad invention.

but nothing can beat the fridge

allow me to urinate on you
God's Substitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Internets: 252353
Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute Johnny Richter has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you DJ. The ice maker is definitely a great invention. Here in Muncie I have to get ice the old fashion way using fucking ice trays. In Warsaw I have an ice maker. Going from one to the other sucks big time.

[ April 07, 2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Dirty Harry ]
Johnny Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Internets: 3373
ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute ProfessorNumber has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Harry:
I agree with you DJ. The ice maker is definitely a great invention. Here in Muncie I have to get ice the old fashion way using fucking ice trays. In Warsaw I have an ice maker. Going from one to the other sucks big time.
Oddly enough, I know exactly where you are coming from, except I went the exact opposite way. I used to have to pour water into fucking little ass trays and then stash them in the freezer for a few hours. It sucked. Ice was not a luxury I enjoyed. However recently I switched to an Ice making refigerator and it rocks. Whenever I want crushed ice I just push a button and shit comes out of the machine. Damn, I love modern technology.

Smoke a cigarette and lie some more -- These conversations kill.
ProfessorNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Emperor Meow

Internets: 282947
THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute THEINCREDIBLEdork has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to THEINCREDIBLEdork
inventor of icemaker

#YOLO
THEINCREDIBLEdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Suckle

Internets: 155868
Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute Repugnant Abomination has a reputation beyond repute
This what he really looks like. It's not a statue.

-And that's my post.
Repugnant Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

the invention of the day is the mother of all inventions the ... Wheel.

no picture needed

Old 04-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
DJ FC

Kick Ass Invention of the Day 4/9/05

Today we will celebrate yet another invention that recieves little credit, until we experience life without it. If the test of a good invention is the level of annoyance we endure when we no longer have it, then this is the invention of all inventions.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Remote Control
Ranging from the basic:

To the complex:

Remote controls have made our lives easier, first with merely the ability to change the chanel and volume on a television. Now remote controls can manipulate every function of an electronic device (including functions that cannot be performed without the remote control), and are becomming more popular in mobile audio. Indeed, once you have a remote control for your car stereo, as lazy as it seems, you do not want to go back to having to manipulate the controls on the faceplate.

The remote control is an amazing device which has made our lives considerably better.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
COME ON YOU YANKS

Internets: 291816
Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute Orgazmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Orgazmo Send a message via AIM to Orgazmo Send a message via Yahoo to Orgazmo
Quote:
Originally Sexed by DJ FC
Indeed, once you have a remote control for your car stereo . . . you do not want to go back to having to manipulate the controls on the faceplate.
I disagree completely. I've found remote controls to be useless within the vehicle. I tried for about a week to use only the remote for my previous head unit...but it became more of a pain in the ass than anything.

Outside of that, I can't argue at all with the remote's usefullness in all of the other mentioned aspects.
Orgazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 275079
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I hate the remote for mine. I don't really see the point if all I have to do is move my hand 2 feet to use the controls on the faceplate.

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
DJ FC

For me the remote is crucial, so I dont have to lean forward while driving, but the most important aspect is being able to control the stereo at all times without looking at the faceplate so you can pay attention to the road. You have all the controls you need within a thumbs reach, and you know exactly where they are.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 106883
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs
So you can memorize the placement of the buttons on a remote, but not of the same buttons on the faceplate?
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
DJ FC

Well on the remote, your thumb is always there, you don't have to look at it. With the faceplate, you have to reach for it; and out of habit will look at it. The remote is just easier.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
DJ FC

Another invention that wouldn't seem like a big deal, but provides an extraordinary level of convenience:

The Keyless Entry

Originally just for locking and unlocking doors from a distance, the keyless entry system can now control alarms, tailgates, remote startup, and a panic button.

Having a keyless entry system rather than a standard key offers several advantages:

1) They eliminate the risk of scratching paint on your vehicle near the lock.

2) Your locks will always be unlocked upon ariving at your vehicle, this is especially important when you have passengers who are anxious to get in the vehicle (which under the traditional system could cause a 'balk' where the passenger attempts to open the door at the same time as the driver unlocks the door - keeping the door locked and causing a minor pain the in the ass).

3) Access to your tailgate (or rear door) without having to unlock the vehicle.

4) If you have an alarm (which comes with many aftermarket keyless entry systems), your insurance will be lower.

5) Remote start (which may come with aftermarket keyless entry systems) ensures your vehicle/engine will be warm before driving.

6) Having a keyless entry system guarentees the presense of power locks, which are numerous in benefits to traditional locks.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

another great invention is the gun.

guns have made life easier for everyone, whether it's used for killing others, or commiting suicide, guns make death effortless

Old 04-28-2005, 08:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
DJ FC

Kick Ass Invention Of The Day

The Nokia N91 and N90

The Nokia N91 multimedia is the company's latest device optimised for mobile music consumption. It can store up to 3,000 tunes on a 4-GB hard disk to deliver a premier music experience.
Nokia touts a long 12.5 hours battery life with media support for MP3, M4A, AAC and WMA. Other features include a 2-megapixel digital camera, email, web browser and video sharing.

Twist and shoot. It's a pro-photo taker and a personal videomaker. Complete with Carl Zeiss optics for crisp, bright images you can view, edit, print and share.

Meet the Nokia N90.
Featuring a full set of advanced digital camera features, it is targeted at high-technology enthusiasts who value the ultimate in connected mobile photography. The Nokia N90 boasts a 2-megapixel camera with autofocus and 20x digital zoom, integrated flash, macro mode for sharp close-ups, and high quality video capture with on-phone editing capabilities.

The Nokia N90 is packed with advanced camera features that ensure high quality photos and videos. Printing great quality images is now possible directly from the gallery with just a few pushes of a button.

Store: Photos and video clips taken with the Nokia N90 can conveniently be stored on the phone's internal 31-MB memory or the 64-MB in-box RS-MMC. Users can store captured content at full resolution using the Nokia PC Suite Image Store, which, when connected, automatically saves images and video clips to the PC.
Share: Images and video clips can also be instantly shared via MMS, email or by uploading them to web albums directly from the new improved rotating gallery, which also allows on-handset editing of captured images and video clips. In addition, video clips can easily be trimmed further on the PC with the in-box Adobe Mobile Video Editor software.

Based on the leading Series 60 Platform, the Nokia N90 is a tri-band phone for GSM 900/1800/1900, EDGE and WCDMA networks, and is expected to be available in the next few months.

Source

[ April 28, 2005, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: DJ FC ]
Old 04-29-2005, 12:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache
Best invention ever.

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Poor Sport

Internets: 106883
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs
^
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Internets: 203
bloodyfart has a spectacular aura about bloodyfart has a spectacular aura about bloodyfart has a spectacular aura about
beebs is right

<b>We're here, and we're queer, so get used to it</b>
bloodyfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
G'd up from the feet up.

Supreme Emperor of the Jiu Jitsu Shit Forum?: Yes
Internets: 114735
Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute Ironic Mustache has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ironic Mustache
fuck you bitch I'm right.

Edit - I guess by him fixing my picture it means he's right too.

[ April 29, 2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Ironic Mustache ]

Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Ironic Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Internets: 203
bloodyfart has a spectacular aura about bloodyfart has a spectacular aura about bloodyfart has a spectacular aura about
beebs is still right

<b>We're here, and we're queer, so get used to it</b>
bloodyfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

malice is on a distinguished road
May 1st, 2005

I nominate as the invention of the day:

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=the+guillotine/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=12ai4mag3/EXP=1115058184/*-http%3A//www.asu.edu/clas/history/courses/guillotine.jpg[/img]
The Guillotine

Although the guillotine's fame dates from its extensive use during the Reign of Terror of the French Revolution, the first guillotine-like instrument was used as early as 1307. It may have been used earlier but the first solid evidence is its use in Ireland in 1307. It was not used much until it became the official instrument of execution for the French revolution. It was named for Dr. Louis Guillotin, who proposed that such a machine be used for official executions. It was actually constructed by others, though his name was forever associated with the machine.

It was adopted because it was an egalitarian and humanitarian form of capital punishment. Previously the form of execution depended in part on a person's class. A noble might merit a quick blow from the headsman's axe (the custom was to offer a tip to the executioner to ensure a swift death), but if you were a commoner, you might suffer the torture of a drawing and quartering or some equally painful death.

The official executioner of the French Revolution, Charles-Louis Sanson, said on April 25, 1792:

Today the machine invented for the purpose of decapitating criminals sentenced to death will be put to work for the first time. Relative to the methods of execution practised heretofore, this machine has several advantages. It is less repugnant: no man's hands will be tainted with the blood of his fellow being, and the worst of the ordeal for the condemned man will be his own fear of death, a fear more painful to him than the stroke which deprives him of life.

Some have speculated that these very virtues made it easier and more efficient to use it as an instrument to kill in large numbers. Would Maximilien Robespierre and his followers have been so quick to remove those citizens who failed to measure up in order to create his perfect "republic of virtue" if it were not so efficient and humane? It certainly would have been more difficult.

In spite of its efficiency, an execution by guillotine was still a sickening spectacle. When the head was severed, blood poured from the body as the heart continued to pump. When it was used frequently (as it was during the revolution), the stench from the place of execution was horrible. There is also some evidence to suggest that the head retained some life for a moment after the head was severed and so the death might not be as quick as has been supposed.

Although the guillotine is most closely associated with the French, the Nazis guillotined more people than were killed during the French Revolution. Hitler considered it a demeaning form of punishment and used it for political executions. 20,000 had a date with Madame la Guillotine in 1942 and 1943.

The last use of the guillotine was in 1977. Capital punishment has been abolished in France.

[ May 01, 2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: malice ]
malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

Carnivorous Flavor is on a distinguished road
well said

i'm the sinful stench that wafts through nostrils of the righteous....
Carnivorous Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

malice is on a distinguished road
Thank you, although I have to admit I did plagiarize slightly.
malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Spice Master

Internets: 275079
Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Blonde has a reputation beyond repute
I also have to admit I did a google search to find the original this morning, but got lazy after about 5 minutes and gave up.

[ May 01, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Blonde ]

Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

― Terence McKenna
Mr. Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote