Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2003, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Internets: 10
musickid is on a distinguished road
I attended the YMCA Battle of the Bands on Friday night. I must say that I was not impressed. Now I'm sure a lot of the people who went loved the show, so you are probably asking why I didn't like it? Well... I have several reasons to back up my opinion. If you haven't took notice since last year and the years even before, the diversity in bands is pathetic. Having went to the high school battle of the bands every year it went on, there was always different kinds of bands, with different styles. Everything has now changed. Why have all these punk bands taken over? I mean, a couple is not a problem... but when you see that every band is basically punk now, its just sad. Is it because people are that untalented these days to not try to create a skilled band? I don't know why things are different nowadays around Warsaw. In the past there have been bands that have talent or are just fun to listen to, I don't think anyone really can say punk is talented... because its not. Anyone with any musical knowledge knows that its not. There's always an exception here and there, so I'm not going to say that ALL punk bands are untalented... but from what I've seen, that's been the case. Now, A Thousand Seasons... they are a punk band that I'm not into, but I respect them... they do have the potential to do good so hopefully they find a singer in the future like they have been from after talking to Zack and to just grow in their music. Everyone else just plain sucks. I'm sure all the punk people out there when I say "everyone else just plain sucks" will get pissed, but its rather true sorry to say. Now for more about the YMCA Battle of the Bands. This last Friday I found myself baffled by the judges at the YMCA. They started off fairly serious and giving everyone some pretty strict scores, but after The Ivy League got off the stage and Ingsoc went on, there was a sudden change. The Ivy League is a good band that's not respected enough in the Warsaw area. They have an extreme amount of talent some people just don't see and it goes over there heads. When the Ivy League played on Friday they played all original songs. They have written very good songs, songs that are catchy. Why the judges gave them the scores they did, I really don't know? Maybe because they weren't good judges? Honestly though, they weren't. After The Ivy League performed what they judged on and said was just plain shit in my book. They started talking about how cool the color of the drumset was that that one kid had, about how it was "cool" they took there shirts off, or about how it was awesome Ingsoc covered "The Kids aren't Alright" by the Offspring, which if you look at the lyrics is a horrible song. The Ivy League again played all originals, which a couple other bands didn't but again got higher scores. They had the most talent, all the guitarists had orignal good solos in there songs. None of the other bands did really except Ingsoc but that was just for the stupid song by Offspring. Cyrus Felton is by far one of the best singers at the high school if not the best, he has an incredible voice and just comparing him to the other bands on Friday made there voices sound like shit, which they did. They were the only rock band there, everyone else was once again "punk". The only reason the crowd was into it was because it was basically a "punk" show, so all the airhead punk rockers that you'd see at a punk show attended, so of course the crowd response was good because Warsaw has too many punk rockers these days. Events like these show all the stupid people that are in Warsaw these days. Basically if its not punk or hardcore it seems like, then its not worthy of listening to? It makes no sense at all. What happened on Friday was totally unfair. How did Stealing September beat The Ivy League, they were only together for a month plus The Ivy League was way better. The Ivy League has been playing together for a while, yet Stealing September seemed to go better with the judges? Don't get me wrong, A Thousand Seasons deserved to place because they've been working really hard ever since they got together. Obviously there's too many punkers in this town and its really sad because punk music is nothing but random power chords and lyrics about how the world sucks. The judges were too fucking stupid to figure this out and they hardly said anything bad (or serious) about any bands after the first few. This is really dumb and we need to start recognizing good talent because none of these bands have it. The judges at the YMCA in the past have rated punk bands really low because they regonize that its not that great and other styles require more work at playing. I heard two bands that had screaming in there songs, the judges said they liked it. That's pathetic. I'm sure if the judges from American Idol were there and heard those bands voices and there singing that they would have there mouths dropped open and say how they've never heard anything so screwed up in there lives. Again Cyrus was by far the best, and obviously the judges are idiots. The Ivy League had an acoustic guitar in it, none of the other bands did. They also didn't cuss in there songs, now I may be wrong... but I'm pretty sure Ingsoc said some inapproite stuff along with there already messed up lyrics to there songs that I'm sure a lot of people heard at the "punk" show at the high school battle of the bands. The only band that placed correctly was A Thousand Seasons, everyone else was in the wrong place. The Ivy League is still more talented than ATS, but I think that ATS deserved to win for there hard work they have been doing. I wish Ingsoc wouldn't have placed second, they probably already think they are "all that" from winning the high school botb, then they get 2nd place at this. First, they suck, second... they are not even close to being "all that". Halfacre has more of an ego than anyone wants to see. He thinks he's "the shit" for some dumbass reason. Obviously he's not, and needs to take his big ego and shove it up his ass as a way to put it. I don't really see if he's reading this how he can object to not having a big ego, so many people see it and comment about it. I'm sure all the punkers out there who are reading this think I'm full of shit, but am I really? I'm sure there are people out there who are reading this who agree with me? I hope people who care about the music scene in Warsaw and music in general and know what deserves credit realize what is happening now. For all the punkers out there or even the few who are not but just don't agree with me, go ahead and bash away at this post. But look at the Warsaw scene and look at what's happening to it, is this really the way its supposed to be? I think anyone that thinks about the past years see the change that has taken affect for the worst. Now I know that I have said numerous cuss words in this post, but the reasons that Ingsoc shouldn't have gotten away with cussing if they did is because publicly cussing is not acceptable and it shouln't have been done. Cussing in this post is a little bit different. Anyone that thinks that the music scene is good right now is obivously stupid for not opening there mind and taking a full look at what is going on. I have held my breath long enough from not saying anything about what's happening music wise these days, its really too screwed up to just overlook.
musickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Titan is on a distinguished road

I'll go ahead and say this now before I read your long one here... thanks for making the second "YMCA Battle of the Bands" post, we really needed two.

Okay, I read it.

First off, it's true that Warsaw is a piece of shit. It's true that the citizens have a very small scope of music they listen to. It's true that you have the right to be fucking pissed off as hell that you're in a rock band and you get overlooked in your town because of the swelling up of one certain style.
But that is no reason for you to take it out on punk music itself. It's a legitimate art form (as are all styles of music) and just because I don't like it, and you don't like it, and the kid sitting next to you doesn't like it, is no reason to take your anger out on them. They have a right to make their music and have fun doing it. As do you. If you can't get noticed in Warsaw, go somewhere else.

Secondly, please read the other YMCA Battle of the Bands post, located here. I've addressed the fact that the YMCA judges suck. No wonder, it's run by the YMCA. YMCA + Music = What the fuck!?

Thirdly, speaking from experience, don't let all this crap get to you. You're always going to have to go through negatives like this when you're pursuing something so positive. It doesn't matter that the punk bands won over you. What matters is that you keep working towards your goal and doing what you love, that's all that ever matters.

As for all the other shit that comes along with it, get over it. You're going to have to eventually anyway. On a side note, you seem to really really like the Ivy League... that's odd for a band who, from your post, seems to have few fans... that, coupled with the sight of your extreme rage that the Ivy League gets "not enough respect" leads me to believe that you are in fact a member. True?

I'm gonna go ahead and just edit this post to say that Dirty's comment down there got one of the biggest laughs I've executed in quite some time.

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited April 26, 2003).]
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm taking it out on punk music because that is what is making the Warsaw scene suck. There's too many of them, and yes I do agree with your statement... "It's a legitimate art form... " because that's very true.
Unread 04-26-2003, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Internets: 284753
Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute

God damn, fuck you and fuck music.
Saint DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
pliedes

Please learn to divide your posts into paragraphs.

Thank you, and fuck you.
Unread 04-26-2003, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

you know if you don't like what I have to say, instead of saying fuck you and being stupid, you could at least say something intelligent. To follow up with Titan, I am not part of The Ivy League.
Unread 04-26-2003, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute Saint DH has a reputation beyond repute

You know, instead of calling me stupid, and posting twice, why don't you try to not make yourself look like a dumbass, and not post twice.

Fucking dickhead.
Unread 04-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

No names you fucking moron stop being a moron.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Harry (edited April 26, 2003).]
Unread 04-26-2003, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, just when I thought you couldn't be more of a dumbass, you pull your previous post. You sir, suck dick.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Harry (edited April 26, 2003).]
Unread 04-26-2003, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yep, it helps to read the rules, then you know what's up, and people don't bash you quite so much.

Unread 04-26-2003, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

the_butcher is on a distinguished road

Well, first of all, just so it doesn't look like I joined just for this post, I used to have an account, but when I try to log in, it says no one had the registered name that I entered. Oh well.

Now, to start off, I attended AND played in the YMCA Battle of the Bands yesterday (Friday the 25th). And I think that I speak for everyone when I say that the show rocked, regardless of what music type you are into. I'll list the bands and explain everything:

1) Frost - Shitty band that got together just for this event then left after they played.

2) The Ivy League - Wow. I have never seen these guys rock so much before at a show. They did an EXCELLENT job at this show, and it's the best I've ever seen them play (I've been to every one of their shows). Now musickid, you mentioned that you aren't a part of Ivy League, but yet you played with them last Friday...I think that would account for you being a part of them, whether temporarily or not. But regardless of that, I respect The Ivy League with the most undying form. I may not personally be into their music that much (with the exception of "Led Me On"), I will continue to support them. Hell, I even gave them their first show at Turning Point.

3. Ingsoc - I don't care how much everyone hates them, I am friends with the members, and while I don't agree with their messages they proclaim, I still enjoy the music. They did great. Enough said.

4. Stealing September - Again, I am friends with the members of this band, and this being their first show, they had mentioned that they wouldn't be that great, so I didn't really have that high of expectations for them. But wow, they blew me away. They were good, especially for being the first show for EVERY member but one(the drummer). They did a great job overall.

5. A Thousand Seasons - I play in this band, so I'm not going to talk about us. I will say though, that was the best show we've ever played, and we're very proud of it.

Now to move onto more of what musickid was talking about. You mentioned that Ivy League played all originals and that bands that didn't scored higher. The only band that DIDN'T do all originals was Ingsoc. Stealing September was completely original. And I thank you for saying we deserved to place, I'm glad you think that.

You also mentioned that judges in the past have rated punk bands lower than other bands. That's true, but I believe that just because a band is punk or punk-oriented, that should not be the reason they are graded lower. And to say that all punk songs are 4 random chords and lyrics about how the world sucks, you couldn't be more off. Our songs use more than four chords, and the chords we use are well composed. Our lyrics range from the end of the world, personal anguish(sp?), girl troubles and questioning our existence. Not one of our songs talk about how the world sucks, with the exception of one song talking about how we don't enjoy this town. Which brings me to my next point.

You say that you believe the town of Warsaw is being overrun by punkers and shitty punk bands and that the music scene is going down the toilet. Well, I WILL agree that the music scene is Warsaw is dying, if not completely gone. I have been a part of it for about 4 years now, and I've seen some amazing bands and shows just seem to disappear, and now we are left with nothing. But you can't judge the scene by the bands. It's more than that, it's also the amount of passion the peeople who are in the scene have for the music. You say it's all punk bands now, well, if you have other bands that you know of that want to be part of it too, then tell me. But wait a second, there AREN'T any other bands. We can't help it if no one is willing to step forward and start something different. We play punk because we like the music. Not only that, but it's fun to do.

You said that you didn't enjoy the show and that only the punkers could. Well, I listen to punk music, and while The Ivy League isn't punk, I enjoyed them thoroughly, I even sang along to the songs I knew. I believe that this show was just what Warsaw needed, that extra shove to try to bring back the passion/longing for the constant shows, good times and endless music. I believe that was one of the better shows I have been to in a long time, not only because I like punk, but also because the kids were singing along, moshing, clapping, screaming, jumping around and having one hell of a time. That's passion.

I DO care about the music scene in Warsaw, and that's why I PERSONALLY have been trying to set up shows to bring what we used to have back. As I said before, I gave The Ivy League their first show, and I will continue to give them shows, because they are a part of the music scene too. No one is saying "Only punk is allowed here in Warsaw". No, instead, the only type of bands that have been started have been punk, but how is that our problem/fault? It's not, and it shouldn't be. All that is here is punk, you say. You mentioned many times how you feel that The Ivy League gets screwed and looked down upon for not being punk. So why would any one aspire to be different, when this is the kind of treatment they will recieve?

One last comment I have to make. I screamed in my bands songs, cause that's what I do. It's my way to use my vocal talents. Whether you believe it's a talent or not is your opinion. But I seem to remember a certain band that you were in musickid, where YOU were the lead screamer for. Wow, the way the world turns...

I hate to end with questions, but it's the only way I can express my feelings:

Is the music scene in Warsaw dying/dead? Yes. Are there a lot of punk bands now in Warsaw? Yes. Do you have any better bands or ideas on how to make the music scene better? No, or at least you haven't said so yet. Until you do, keep your mouth shut and love music for what it is, someone else's expressions and emotions. Don't love the music because it's a certain type, love it because it's music. Rock on.

-the_butcher

[This message has been edited by the_butcher (edited April 26, 2003).]
the_butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Orgazmo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> used to have an account, but when I try to log in, it says no one had the registered name that I entered<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your other account is "the Butcher" not "the_Butcher". Not a big deal, just thought maybe you'd like to know
Unread 04-26-2003, 09:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

See, that's the attitude I like to see... that seemed like a little less of a one-sided rant... speaking of... this whole thing should have been put in the rants section... oh well... butcher's got it right when he says it's not the fault of the punks that they outnumber the rockers... god this fucking sounds like a Gangs of New York sequel or something... I distinctly remember a certain band of the name Seraphim who faced these exact problems that musickid speaks of, and they made it out fine, and they're not punk... you can't expect everything to just fall into place or to be born into a town that just can't wait to hear your music.

Unread 04-26-2003, 09:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

sorry about that orgazmo. if you want, you can just delete the old "butcher" name.
Unread 04-26-2003, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Orgazmo

Oh no, it's not a problem at all, I just thought I'd let you know incase you wanted to revert back to it or, at the very least, to verify your claim for everyone else. Hell, the way I see it is that it's another member for the board
Unread 04-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

punk_afi is on a distinguished road

why are you so angry that punk bands won? The judges dont judge on a style of music. They dont say, "ok, anything that isnt punk will win" did you ever think that maybe the other bands where more together and had parts that fit better? Im not saying that the other bands didnt, just could you maybe think that the bands that won were just a little more well organized? You people take one view of something and stick to it. You cant be open minded and look at the different possibilities.
Now, why are you saying that ivy leauge was the only band with solos? I know you heard The kids arnt alright by the offspring that ingsoc played but did you hear Ingsoc's second to last song? Robert had an amazing solo in it. I guess you didnt really give it a chance just becuase it was "punk". In the solo he was even doing finger taping and other things.

what is wrong with screaming in songs? You dont have to sing one way for every style of music. That is what makes music diverse. Maybe the judges liked the bands more becuase they had screaming and they were more diverse.

punk_afi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

cj bizkit is on a distinguished road

sorry to interupt your thought punk_afi but i wanted to thank the_butcher for the support and i think its really cool that he can keep an open mind about the local bands
cj bizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

to punk_afi: all the bands except the first band were organized just the same. I'm not a close-minded person, never claimed to be. If I recall I NEVER said The Ivy League was the only band with solos. I did say Lugo had a solo in The Offspring song. After I typed the message, I did recall Lugo had another solo in another song... but whatever. Honestly, I didn't listen to you guys really, but I actually listened to some... and I did hear part of the other solo. Finger-tapping is not even hard, its just a technique butt-rockers use... and that's not something to be proud about. I never said I had a problem with screaming in songs, I was making the reference to the American Idol judges... I never said that I didn't like it. Maybe the judges were stupid period, because like Titan said, and I quote, "YMCA + Music = What the fuck!?". That says it all right there. Good work.
Unread 04-27-2003, 12:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

gbc is on a distinguished road

Where the fuck did all these nubies come from?
gbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2003, 12:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Oh no, poor gbc is going to have competition for the most moronic newbie award now!
Unread 04-27-2003, 01:26 AM   #21 (permalink)

gbc is on a distinguished road

OUCH!!! That hurts. Titan just got me good.
gbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2003, 02:51 AM   #22 (permalink)

First of all, I'd like to agree with punk_afi that a competition shouldn't be won based on music style, it should be based on exactly the same principles the YMCA BOTB was based on: originality, stage presence and overall performance. I believe that is only fair.

Second, musickid, I know for a fact that you are probably the best guitarist in the entire town of Warsaw. I'm sure butt rock solos and finger-tapping aren't anything new or hard for you. But I respect Ingsoc for actually using that in a song. I mean, hell, I haven't seen another band use that in Warsaw I don't think ever. And to say that it's not hard and nothing to be proud of, well, I can't do it, and if I could, I'd be DAMN proud of it. Granted I'm not as good a guitar player as Lugo, but still. I was impressed.

Third, you enjoy screaming, but you were making reference to the American Idols judges. No offense but, what the hell? What we(bands) do is in no way comparable to that show, or anything like it. We play music that we write, with words that mean something to us, with crowds that have passion for music. To try to make a reference to a shitty reality tv show is beyond me, I can't think as to why you would even do that. I'm not trying to be mean at all, and I'm sorry if I have appeared that way. But I know that you love music, hell, look at your name, and I just wonder why you would compare an emotional thing such as screaming to a shitty talent show that's on tv.

Lastly, gbc, I'm not a newbie, as you read earlier, I had an account and i obviously screwed that up, but oh well. Just thought I'd clear that up.

In ending, I'm sorry if I have seemed mean or offensive, but I'm just trying to keep everyone together in this struggling music scene that is left here. It means too much to too many people to just let it die away. Thanks.

-the_butcher
Unread 04-27-2003, 04:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

getupkids is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to getupkids

i dont find it right for people that werent even at the show, to judge it.
a thousand seasons got the energy up in the building and got the crowd going. they played really well, and sounded really put together.
they won because of it.
ingsoc also got the crowd going, and gave off a good vibe. some of the bands that arent "punk" just didnt give off the same energy, and that is what the judges really looked at
getupkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2003, 01:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

For one, The Ivy League didn't give off the same energy because when you are playing for a "punk" crowd, its kinda hard! I made reference to the American Idol judges because they know a good singer from a bad one, screaming musically is untalented. I like it, but I still realize its untalented. I don't think that the screaming that was done was really used emotionally, it didn't even sound like that... it was just screaming. The band Thursday, I would say does use it emotionally. The judges were horrible anyhow, no matter what... no band should recieve perfect tens no matter how good they are. Everyone has their different opinion about music, and about the show on Friday. I appreciate the people who are writing there opinions and posting and not just saying "fuck you" or something else just to be morons. Peace.
Unread 04-27-2003, 03:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
We still believe.

Internets: 216
Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about Niger Angelus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Niger Angelus

The Ivy League sucks the biggest cocks around, play and simply. Their music caters to the, well, my parents generation. It isnt about the long solos and shit now. It is about variation, and something new, something that pushes something and means something.

It is also about the stage personas, not how fast the guy can play 40 notes. Yes, the Ivy League has talent, no they wont get anywhere. Their scene is dead.

The screaming, it does take talent and ability. i have played in hardcore bands, not everyone can scream, and some screamers just suck. However when one is good, there is some talent involved. And it doesnt have to be at an emotional high-point. For many hard-core bands, much of the song is the emotional high- point . Or when they do sing, that is a point of emphasis, or a climax.

I do agree, nonetheless; that perfect 10's should not have been awarded. Not unless it is the band of the century, and sadly, few local bands here can get record contracts, let alone earn a perfect 10.

(Paragraph form)

[This message has been edited by Niger Angelus (edited April 27, 2003).]
Niger Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote