Thread: Brock Lesnar?
View Single Post
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Beebs
Poor Sport

Internets: 127341
Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute Beebs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Beebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I would say it has more to do with his physical size. He can control anyone on the the ground due to the fact he is 30+ lbs heavier then any of his opponents. He controlled Mir's body on the ground just because of his size alone. I be when he was younger he could give a never ending Nuggy.

Obviously size has a lot to do with it, but Mir is a big boy himself, but thats beside the point.

1) Its not to Brock's discredit he can overpower other fighters with ease, drop the katas and hit the weightroom fellas, this is top level athletics.

2) It's not just size, his technical wrestling is some of the best in the HW division. MMA guys are incredibly technical in BJJ, but only learn technically sound takedown defense/offense when it comes to wrestling.

Great example is Hammil; not an explosive wrestler, but his ground wrestling confused the shit out of Bisping. GSP and Lesnar side rode Serra and Herring perfectly, Rashad has done it too. Taking the back from the side ride is not always the best option, some guys are too good at rolling into guard from their and you lose the advantage. People gave Brock shit saying "I learned how to take the back the first day of BJJ!!!1", but they don't realize he knows how, he just is more dominant from side ride.

A mix is obviously the best, and Hughes showed the perfect mix against Royce.

While Whorian may have said he won with pure Gracie Jiu Jitsu; the way he took the back and flattened the hips looks familiar

Whoreion would describe this as the perfect Gracie Jiu Jitsu duckunder takedown Matt used

And of course Whorions patented Gracie Jiu Jitsu Quarter Nelson

Don't get me wrong, BJJ is the dominant grappling art, but alot of technical wrestling can be used effectively. Brock and Hughes aren't just dominantly strong, they are are technical wrestlers, both on the feet and ground.

People need to not just focus on the takedown aspect of wrestling and focus entirely on BJJ technique once its on the ground.

Last edited by Beebs; 07-13-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Beebs is offline   Reply With Quote